Prior to US special envoy Steve Witkoff’s crucial trip to Moscow, American and Ukrainian officials are engaged in discussions aimed at developing “reliable security guarantees” for Ukraine as part of a US-backed peace plan.
A Ukrainian delegation led by Rustem Umerov, the head of Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council, sat down with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Witkoff, who stated that the discussions are meant to “create a path” for a sovereign Ukraine.
Recommended Stories
list of 4 itemsend of list
On the basis of the progress made in Geneva, Umerov wrote on X, “We have clear directives and priorities: safeguarding Ukrainian interests, ensuring substantive dialogue, and advancing.”
He added that “reliable, long-term security guarantees” are what negotiators want for Ukraine to achieve.
The negotiations come a week after Rubio and Ukrainian negotiators met in Geneva, Switzerland to review the initial Russian-wish list-based peace plan. Vladimir Putin’s scheduled meeting with Witkoff, which Trump earlier hinted would take place this week, is set to take place with the sit-down.
Putin said the unpublished US draft could serve as a “basis for future agreements,” and that Witkoff should be the first priority in his discussions with Witkoff.
Jared Kushner, the son of Donald Trump, may also be present in Moscow.
Rubio said it’s important to end a war in a way that allows them to become independent and sovereign, never have another war, and create tremendous prosperity for its citizens so they can not just rebuild the nation but also enter an era of extraordinary economic progress.
According to Ukraine’s first deputy foreign minister Sergiy Kyslytsya on X, talks between US and Ukrainian officials “start off well” and are “going to a warm atmosphere conducing to potential progress.”
“Eminent days”
Ukraine’s response to the negotiations comes at a sensitive time as it fights back against Russian forces that invaded in 2022, with the resignation of his top official, Andriy Yermak, this week.
Last week, Yermak and Rubio met in Geneva to discuss changes to Trump’s original 28-point plan, which initially included limiting Russia’s military size, restricting its size, and giving up on joining NATO.
In response to criticism from Kyiv and Europe, the US reduced the original draft to 19 points, but the current content is still a mystery.
Zelenskyy claimed on X that America is “showing a constructive approach.”
It is possible to “fine-tune the steps” to bring the war to an honorable conclusion, he said.
The Ukrainian president stated on Sunday that “many things can change” when he spoke with NATO’s Mark Rutte.
We will continue speaking in the coming days when I spoke with Mark Rutte @SecGenNATO. There are significant changes to be made in these times. Our joint measures and shared positions are what we are coordinating closely, and our efforts are coordinated by all of our partners…
Zelenskyy will be a guest of French President Emmanuel Macron’s meeting in Paris on Monday, according to the French presidency.
Prior to the US summit, Russia’s forces have been focusing on Ukraine’s capital and the region for two nights straight as it advances on the front line.
Six people were killed and dozens of others were hurt in the country as a result of Russian attacks on Ukraine on Saturday night. 400, 000 Kyiv homes were cut off from power.
One person was killed and eleven were hurt in a drone attack near Kyiv, according to the regional governor.
Source: Aljazeera

Leave a Reply