Trump administration seeks Congress approval for USAID reorganisation

Trump administration seeks Congress approval for USAID reorganisation

Due to the Republican leader’s constitutional challenges in reorganizing the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the administration of President Donald Trump has submitted a formal request to Congress.

USAID was established as a result of a congressional act. However, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced on Friday that the Trump administration would rename the Department of State, which would be in charge of overseeing the agency’s independent functions.

In a statement on social media, Rubio said, “We are reorienting our foreign assistance programs to align directly with what is best for the United States and our citizens.” We are investing strategically to advance our partners and our own nation while carrying out crucial lifesaving initiatives.

However, critics have accused the Trump administration of overstepping its bounds and trying to undermine independent organizations that don’t align with its goals.

Later that day, State Department spokesman Tammy Bruce gave a news conference presentation on the subject.

She claimed that department officials “have informed Congress of their intention to reorganize” the organization, which would involve changing the way the department’s priorities are handled by the department by July 1, 2025, and removing the last USAID functions that don’t align with its administrative priorities.

Bruce also refrained from arguing that the country’s ability to deal with global disasters like the earthquakes in Myanmar and Thailand on Friday.

“We’re prepared to move right away. Therefore, she said, “we haven’t had an impact on how well we can perform those duties, those requests for assistance when and where they come in.”

Through the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, USAID was established under the authority of Congress. However, it is run by the secretary of state.

The organization was one of the largest distributors of foreign aid until Trump’s second term as president, but that activity largely stopped when the president put a freeze on foreign aid in place.

US aid totaling $ 72 billion was distributed by the US alone in 2023. About half of that amount was distributed by USAID.

However, Rubio has since stated on social media that contracts with USAID have been canceled by 83 percent.

Further employee reductions at USAID

Additionally, there have been numerous layoffs at the organization, which started on Friday.

A memo to USAID employees was obtained by US media that warned that all positions, save those that are required by law, would be eliminated. During her briefing, Bruce, the State Department’s spokesperson, inquired about the changes’ scope.

She said, “With any significant change, there will be disruption,” adding that the layoffs were not unexpected.

“This conclusion has been in our minds.” It arrived. At this point, I can’t tell how many people will no longer serve as foreign service officers. I’m not sure if it will be “everyone.”

She continued, “It’s essentially a restructuring.” There will undoubtedly be disruptions from Secretary Rubio down, as with any restructuring. We are committed to keeping USAID’s lifesaving aid programs operational and personnel safe.

Bruce connected the layoffs to the Trump administration’s effort to end alleged “waste, fraud, and abuse,” a project spearheaded by billionaire businessman Elon Musk.

USAID’s workforce was already subject to significant workforce cuts in February. All but a small portion of the company’s remaining employees, including those stationed abroad, were laid off, leaving about 1,600 people.

Workers were given 15-minute window breaks to enter the building and pick up their belongings from there, and the company’s Washington, DC, headquarters was also shut down.

A federal judge ruled earlier this month that Trump, his Department of Government Efficiency, and other individuals “likely” violated the United States Constitution in multiple ways by dismantling USAID.

According to Judge Theodore Chuang, Musk and DOGE “deprived the public’s elected representatives in Congress of their constitutional authority to decide whether, when, and how to dissolve an agency that was established by Congress.”

DOGE and Musk were ordered to stop attempting to terminate USAID’s staff and contracts by placing a temporary injunction. However, it’s unclear whether the secretary of state’s actions fall under that rule.

Source: Aljazeera

234Radio

234Radio is Africa's Premium Internet Radio that seeks to export Africa to the rest of the world.