Taylor Townsend’s accusation of having “no education” by Jelena Ostapenko has been apologised for earlier this week.
After winning the US Open’s second round 7-5 6-1, American Townsend claimed that the former French Open champion had told her that she had “no class” and “no education.”
After Townsend’s net cord was cut, Ostapenko, the 25th seed, accused her of not apologizing.
Latvian Ostapenko apologized for some of the things I said during my second-round singles match without naming Townsend.
Since English is not my native language, I was only talking about tennis etiquette when I said education. However, I am aware of how many people could have been offended by the words used when they were speaking on the other end of the tennis court.
“I appreciate the encouragement as I continue to learn and develop as a tennis player and person. I’m sorry for New York, but I’m looking forward to returning next year.
When the two players met to shake hands at the end of the match, an incident occurred.
Ostapenko, 28, confronted Townsend after apologizing for a net cord that had broken during the opening set, and then claimed the American had “no education.”
Townsend, 29, was heard saying, “Take the L]loss” while listening to on-court microphones.
Townsend, the world’s number one doubles player, then wildly celebrated the crowd before going into a frenzied riot.
As Ostapenko left, loud bans rang around Court 11.
After the match, Ostapenko described Townsend as “disrespectful,” and he later later on Wednesday denied racism accusations.
She wrote, “I never had racial prejudice in my life.”
Respecting all people in the world, no matter where you are, is what I believe in.
Ostapenko lost a doubles match to Barbora Krejcikova on Thursday, which ended her US Open career.
related subjects
- Tennis
Source: BBC
Leave a Reply