Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes was told by manager Ruben Amorim on Monday that he is “not going anywhere” despite reports of a possible move to Real Madrid.
The 30-year-old Portuguese star, who has scored 95 goals in 277 appearances since joining from Sporting Lisbon in 2020, has a contract at Old Trafford until 2027.
However, he has been linked in recent days with a £90 million (107.4 million euros) switch to Spanish giants Real.
“No, it’s not going to happen”, insisted Amorim.
“I want Bruno here because maybe in the lowest moments of our season (he impressed). We want to win the Premier League again, so we want the best players to continue with us”.
READ ALSO: There Is ‘ Different Energy ‘ At Man Utd After Mini-Revival, Says Amorim
Manchester United’s Portuguese head coach Ruben Amorim applauds fans as he leaves after the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Everton at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on December 1, 2024. United won the game 4-0. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Amorin added: “He’s 29, I think, but he’s still so young because he plays 55 games every season. Between assists and goals, he’s there for 30 at least so he’s the type of player we want here so he’s not going anywhere”.
“We are in control of the situation and I feel that he is really happy here”.
Donald Trump said Monday he hopes Tiger Woods and his former daughter-in-law will be happy together in their relationship, describing the golf superstar as “a fantastic guy”.
Woods — renowned for guarding his private life over the years — last week confirmed tabloid rumors that he was dating Vanessa Trump, who split from Donald Trump Jr. during his father’s first term in the Oval Office.
The US president told reporters in Washington on Monday he was delighted that she had found love again.
READ ALSO: ‘ Love Is In The Air’: Woods Confirms Vanessa Trump Romance
Photo: X @Tiger Woods on X
“Tiger actually called me a few months ago, and we have a very special, very good relationship with Tiger”, he said.
“I played golf with him a couple of times over the last month, and he’s a fantastic guy and a fantastic athlete,  , and he told me about it, and I said ‘ Tiger, that’s good, ‘” Trump continued.
“I’m very happy for both, I just, let them both be happy.  , Let them both be happy. They’re both great”.
The presidential seal of approval comes after Woods took to social media to post photos of him and his new beau.
“Love is in the air and life is better with you by my side”, he wrote in a caption above two pictures of the couple relaxing together.
Vanessa Trump, who divorced Donald Trump Jr. in 2018 after a 13-year marriage, also posted a picture of her and Woods together on her Instagram account in what appeared to be a coordinated announcement.
Woods ‘ private life was laid bare during the 2009 sex scandal that upended his career and led to the implosion of his six-year marriage to Elin Nordegren, the mother of his two children.
Nordegren and Woods separated amid revelations of the golf star’s serial infidelity, with reports suggesting he had slept with as many as 120 women during their marriage.
Manchester City were dealt a major blow on Monday with leading scorer Erling Haaland set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering an ankle injury as the season reaches its climax.
The 24-year-old Norwegian was injured in Sunday’s 2-1 FA Cup quarter-final win at Bournemouth.
Having just scored his 30th goal of the season to level the tie, he was then hurt in a challenge with Bournemouth midfielder Lewis Cook.
Manchester City’s Erling Haaland receives medical attention after picking up an injury during the English FA Cup quarter-final football match between Bournemouth and Manchester City at the Vitality Stadium in Bournemouth, on the south coast of England on March 30, 2025. (Photo by JUSTIN TALLIS / AFP)  ,
The Premier League champions did not provide a timescale for the player’s return.
READ ALSO:  , Saka ‘ Ready To Go ‘ For Arsenal After Long Injury Lay-Off —Arteta
“The expectation is that Erling will be fit in time to play a further part in the remainder of this season, including this summer’s FIFA Club World Cup”, said a club statement.
“Erling underwent initial tests in Manchester on Monday morning and will now seek specialist consultation to confirm the full extent of the injury.
” Assessment remains ongoing to ascertain a full prognosis. “
City are currently fifth in the Premier League and battling to ensure a spot in the Champions League next season.
Pep Guardiola’s side face matches against Leicester and Manchester United this week.
They then have a visit from Crystal Palace and a trip to Everton before their FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest, at Wembley on April 26.
Ruben Amorim says the “energy is different” at Manchester United after a mini-revival but admits their confidence is fragile as they prepare to return to action following the international break.
United, who travel to face high-flying Nottingham Forest on Tuesday, are a lowly 13th in the Premier League, 12 points off the top four with just nine games to go.
But they are unbeaten in seven matches in all competitions, though they exited the FA Cup on penalties at home to Fulham during that sequence.
READ ALSO:  , Rashford Double Fires Villa Into FA Cup Semis
Manchester United’s Portuguese head coach Ruben Amorim reacts during the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Brighton and Hove Albion at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on January 19, 2025. (Photo by Ian HODGSON / AFP)
Amorim, whose injury crisis is easing, was asked on Monday whether his team could pick up where they left off before the internationals.
“I’m really confident. I feel that the players are more confident, the energy is different”, said the Portuguese manager, who took charge at Old Trafford in November.
“But I also know that this could change with the results. So we are focused on maintaining the energy. We worked on some things that we have a lot to improve.
” Even winning the games, we can acknowledge that we have a lot to improve. But we are in a different moment, more confident and ready for this final two months of the season. “
United have seven games in April, including a season-defining Europa League quarter-final against Lyon and tough Premier League matches against Manchester City and Newcastle.
Defenders Harry Maguire and Leny Yoro are available again and Amorim said Ayden Heaven’s injury was not as bad as first feared.
” It’s really important to have all the players available for them to fight, for us to rotate during matches, “said the United boss”. Different characteristics give us different opportunities to win football matches.
“But I think it’s a very good moment in our season. I know that we will have at least three games in the Premier League now that are really tough. But I think the team is prepared to face those games”.
Amorim was cagey when asked about the form of Marcus Rashford, who is on loan at Aston Villa after he fell out of favour at Old Trafford.
The England winger scored his first goals for Villa on Sunday, striking twice as Unai Emery’s men beat Preston 3-0 to reach the FA Cup semi-finals.
“I’m focused on my team and my players”, said Amorim. “Rashford is not my player at the moment. But every player that performs well on loan is good news for our club. So we are happy with that”.
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said Monday superstar striker Kylian Mbappe is capable of becoming a legend at the club like all-time top goalscorer Cristiano Ronaldo.
Mbappe idolised Ronaldo while growing up and after joining Madrid from Paris Saint-Germain last summer, has equalled the Portuguese striker’s tally of 33 goals in his first season at the Santiago Bernabeu.
“What I wish for Mbappe is that he is capable of achieving what Ronaldo did at Real Madrid — and I think that he can do it”, Ancelotti told a news conference.
“That means he will be a legend at Real Madrid, like Cristiano Ronaldo is”.
READ ALSO:  , Saka ‘ Ready To Go ‘ For Arsenal After Long Injury Lay-Off —Arteta
Ronaldo joined Real from Manchester United in 2009 and departed in 2018 as the club’s top scorer with 450 goals.
The 40-year-old, now at Al-Nassr in Saudi Arabia, scored 33 goals in 35 games in his first campaign with Real Madrid.
Mbappe, 26, notched a brace against Leganes in La Liga on Saturday and said it was “very special” to match Ronaldo.
“We know what he means for Real Madrid and me, we speak, he gives me a lot of advice”, Mbappe told Real Madrid TV.
With Madrid still competing on three fronts this season Mbappe has plenty of time to increase his tally.
Ancelotti’s side host Real Sociedad on Tuesday in a Copa del Rey semi-final second leg clash, holding a 1-0 lead from the first leg in San Sebastian.
Should Madrid go on to win the cup, Ancelotti would become their first coach to lift it on three occasions.
“To be close to a final motivates me, it motivates the players and it motivates the club”, said Ancelotti.
“It’s an achievement to play in a final in any competition, so to be so close, to have a small advantage, and because we’ll have the support of our fans obviously motivates us even more”.
After three months out with a hamstring injury, boss Mikel Arteta announced on Monday that Bukayo Saka is “ready to go” for Arsenal.
Since Arsenal’s 5-1 win at Crystal Palace on December 21 and the club’s nine goals in all competitions this season, the England forward, 23, has not featured.
On the eve of Tuesday’s game against Fulham, Arteta declared, “Bukayo is ready to go.”
“All the careful things have already been done,” he said, “so it’s time to put him on the grass at the right moment.” However, he is pushing because of a genuine desire.
We have done everything, adhered to the deadline, and even held him back, “We have resisted the deadline.” He is prepared to depart.
The Arsenal boss said, “Yes, yeah, I’m not sure, but I’m not sure if Saka, who had hamstring surgery in December, will start against Fulham at the Emirates.
Bukayo is a powerful weapon, Arteta continued. We are aware of his significance and contribution to our success, as well as the impact he has had on the team. It’s wonderful to have him back.
READ MORE: Rashford and Villa face FA Cup semifinals
On December 11, 2024, Arsenal’s English midfielder #7 Bukayo Saka celebrates scoring the team’s second goal at the Emirates Stadium in north London. (Glyn KIRK/AFP photo)
With only nine games left, Arsenal is currently second in the Premier League, 12 points clear of Liverpool in the race for the title.
However, they have advanced to the Champions League quarter-finals and will face Real Madrid on April 8 in the first leg of their tie.
With Kai Havertz and Gabriel Jesus both out of action due to long-term injuries, Saka’s return is a huge boost for Arteta, who has been struggling in recent weeks.
Saka’s return, according to the Spaniard, would greatly improve Arsenal.
He said, “It’s more because of the energy he transmits, that he has missed the thing in his life that’s important: being on the team, playing, training, and competing at the highest level.”
The fact that he can join the team for the most crucial period of the season gives him a huge boost.
He has played for the past 48 months but hasn’t had a month off. Therefore, only three out of 48 is a very small percentage.
Jurrien Timber is still available following a bout of illness, according to Arteta, but fellow defender Riccardo Calafiori will have to watch from the sidelines as a result of his knee injury while playing for Italy.
The appointment of Andrea Berta, the club’s new sporting director, was confirmed on Sunday, according to the Arsenal manager.
Edu, a former Gunners midfielder, succeeds the 53-year-old Italian in the role.
We firmly believe that Arteta will have an impact on the club, Arteta added.
“And he has that experience, this personality, this charisma, and… will to win.” That will spread quickly.”