Why is the US targeting Cuba’s global medical missions?

Guatemala announced last week that it will begin phasing out its three-decade-old programme, under which Cuban doctors work in its country to fill the gap in the country’s healthcare system.

Communist-ruled Cuba, under heavy United States sanctions, has been earning billions of dollars each year by leasing thousands of members of its “white coat army” to countries around the world, especially in Latin America. Havana has used its medical missions worldwide as a tool for international diplomacy.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

So why are some countries withdrawing from the programme that helps the host countries?

Why is Guatemala phasing out Cuban doctors?

Guatemala’s health ministry said in a statement that it would begin a “gradual termination” over this year.

“The phased withdrawal of the Cuban Medical Brigade stems from an analysis of the mission’s completion of its cycles,” the statement, originally in Spanish, said on February 13.

The statement added that the Cuban medical mission was meant to support Guatemala through the 1998 Hurricane Mitch, which devastated parts of Central America, overwhelmed local hospitals and left rural communities with almost no access to medical care.

“The Ministry of Health is developing a phased strategic replacement plan that includes hiring national personnel, strengthening incentives for hard-to-reach positions, strategic redistribution of human resources, and specialized technical support,” the statement said.

The Cuban mission in Guatemala comprises 412 medical workers, including 333 doctors.

The Central American country’s decision comes amid growing pressure from the United States, which wants to stop Cuban doctors from serving abroad.

The move aims to starve Cuba of much-needed revenue as a major share of the incomes earned by doctors goes to government coffers. Cuba has been facing severe power, food and medical shortages amid an oil blockade imposed by the Trump administration since January.

Guatemala is just one country which benefits from Cuban medical missions.

Over the past decades, Cuba has sent medical missions around the world, from Latin America to Africa and beyond. It began sending these missions shortly after the 1959 Cuban revolution brought Fidel Castro to power.

Castro’s communist government reversed many of the pro-business policies of Fulgencio Batista, the dictator backed by the US. The revolution ruptured ties between the two countries, with the US spy agency CIA trying several times unsuccessfully to topple Castro’s government.

Guatemala has moved closer to the US since the election of Bernardo Arevalo as the president in January 2024. He has cooperated with US President Donald Trump’s administration. Last year, Guatemala agreed to ramp up the number of deportation flights it receives from the US. The US has deported thousands of immigrants without following due process to third countries such as Guatemala and El Salvador, which are headed by pro-Trump leaders.

In November 2018, shortly after Brazil elected Jair Bolsonaro as president, Cuba announced its withdrawal from the country’s Cuba “Mais Medicos” (More Doctors) programme. Bolsonaro, who is known as Brazil’s Trump, had criticised the medical mission, deeming it “slave labour”. Bolsonaro is serving a 27-year prison sentence after he was convicted in September 2025 of plotting to stage a coup in order to retain power after his defeat in the 2022 presidential election.

Why is the US targeting Cuba’s global medical missions?

The US has deemed Cuba’s foreign medical missions a form of “forced labour” and human trafficking, without any evidence, and has a goal of restricting the Cuban government’s access to its largest source of foreign income.

US efforts to curb Cuba’s medical missions are not new. Just last year, Washington imposed visa restrictions aimed at discouraging foreign governments from entering into medical cooperation agreements with Cuba.

In February last year, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced that the US would restrict visas targeting “forced labor linked to the Cuban labor export program”.

“This expanded policy applies to current or former Cuban government officials, and other individuals, including foreign government officials, who are believed to be responsible for, or involved in, the Cuban labor export program, particularly Cuba’s overseas medical missions,” a statement on the US State Department’s website said.

Rubio, who is of Cuban origin, has been a vocal critic of Havana, and has pushed US policies in Latin America, including the military operation to abduct Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on January 3. Under Trump, Washington has pushed its focus on Latin America as part of its Western Hemisphere pivot, which seeks to restore Washington’s preeminence in the region.

Since Maduro’s abduction, the US focus has turned towards Cuba. Senior US officials, particularly Rubio, hinted that Havana could be the next target of Washington’s pressure campaign.

The US, in effect, cut off Venezuelan oil shipments to Cuba as part of a new oil blockade. Havana has faced sweeping US sanctions for decades, and Cuba has since 2000 increasingly relied on Venezuelan oil provided as part of a deal struck with Maduro’s predecessor, Hugo Chavez.

The blockade has caused a fuel shortage and, in turn, a severe energy crisis in Cuba. President Miguel Diaz-Canel has imposed harsh emergency restrictions as a response.

This has renewed US pressure on countries to phase out Cuban medical missions.

How many Cuban doctors are on missions abroad?

More than 24,000 Cuban doctors are working in 56 countries worldwide. This includes Latin American countries such as Venezuela, Nicaragua and Mexico; Africa, including Angola, Mozambique, Algeria; and the Middle East, including Qatar.

There have been occasional deployments in other countries. For instance, Italy received Cuban doctors during the COVID-19 pandemic to help overwhelmed hospitals in some of its hardest-hit regions.

Cuban doctors are crucial for Caribbean countries. They fill a significant gap in medical care amid a lack of trained medical professionals.

Have countries resisted US pressure in the past?

Caribbean countries hit back in March 2025 against the US threats to restrict visas. “We could not get through the pandemic without the Cuban nurses and the Cuban doctors,” Barbados’s Prime Minister Mia Mottley said in a speech to the parliament.

“Out of the blue now, we have been called human traffickers because we hire technical people who we pay top dollar,” Trinidad and Tobago’s Prime Minister Keith Rowley said back then, adding that he was prepared to lose his US visa.

“If the Cubans are not there, we may not be able to run the service,” Saint Vincent and the Grenadines then-Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves said. “I will prefer to lose my visa than to have 60 poor and working people die.”

In August 2025, the US announced that it was revoking the visas of Brazilian, African and Caribbean officials over their ties to Cuba’s programme that sends doctors abroad.

It named Brazilian Ministry of Health officials, Mozart Julio Tabosa Sales and Alberto Kleiman, who had their visas revoked for working on Brazil’s Mais Medicos, or “More Doctors” programme, which was created in 2013.

Mikaela Shiffrin wins slalom Olympic gold medal at Winter Games 2026

Mikaela Shiffrin won Olympic slalom gold on Wednesday to end her eight-year Winter Games medal drought and bring some solace to the US ski team.

Shiffrin claimed the third Olympic title of her career, and her first since giant slalom gold at the 2018 Pyeongchang Games, with a rapid combined time of 1min 39.10sec.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The 30-year-old already had a lead of 0.82sec after a first run she said she “nailed” in glorious conditions, and that handy cushion enabled her to cruise to victory.

She finished a whopping 1.50sec ahead of world champion Camille Rast, who took the first medal of these games for the Swiss women’s ski team.

Sweden’s Anna Swenn Larsson rounded out the podium to claim the first Olympic medal of her career.

Mikaela Shiffrin reacts.
Shiffrin, centre, celebrates winning gold in the slalom event alongside silver medalist Camille Rast of Team Switzerland, left, and bronze medalist Anna Swenn Larsson of Team Sweden [Mattia Ozbot/Getty Images]

Shiffrin has banished memories of both her last Olympics in Beijing – where she failed to pick up a single medal from six races and did not even finish three – and her disappointing displays in the team combined and giant slalom in northern Italy.

She came to Cortina as a red-hot favourite to claim at least one gold due to her sensational form this season, which has taken her all-time record of World Cup wins to 108.

Shiffrin has already won the slalom title in the World Cup after coming out on top in seven of this season’s races, finishing just 0.14sec behind Rast in Kranjska Gora, the one time she did not win.

Gold is a happy ending to a difficult Olympics for both Shiffrin and the US ski team, whose games were dominated by Lindsey Vonn’s horror crash and leg break in the downhill race, which opened proceedings in Cortina.

Shiffrin’s victory is her second Olympic gold medal in the slalom and comes 12 years after she became the youngest winner of that Olympic event at the Sochi Games.

Mikaela Shiffrin in action.
Shiffrin competes during the Women’s Slalom final [Julian Finney/Getty Images]

Facebook, TikTok suspended in Gabon under regulator’s order

Facebook and TikTok have been suspended in Gabon “until further notice” after the Central African nation’s media regulator accused social media platforms of publishing content that stokes conflict and divisions in society.

AFP news agency reported on Wednesday that the two social media platforms were no longer available in Gabon. It wasn’t immediately clear if other platforms were still operating or not.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Gabon’s media regulator on Tuesday announced the suspensions, citing the risk of “conflict-inducing excesses”. It did not specify any social media platforms included in the ban.

The decision came amid a wave of social unrest with teachers on strike and other civil servants threatening to walk off their jobs, less than a year after President Brice Oligui Nguema was elected.

Teachers began striking over pay and conditions in December, and protests for similar demands have since spread to other public sectors, including health, higher education and broadcasting.

The High Authority for Communication imposed “the immediate suspension of social media platforms in Gabon”, its spokesman Jean-Claude Mendome said in a televised statement.

He said “inappropriate, defamatory, hateful and insulting content” was undermining “human dignity, public morality, the honour of citizens, social cohesion, the stability of the republic’s institutions and national security”.

The spokesman also cited the “spread of false information”, “cyberbullying” and “unauthorised disclosure of personal data” as reasons for the decision.

Mendome said that although freedom of expression was guaranteed in Gabon, it “cannot be exercised in flagrant violation of the national and international laws in force.”

“These actions are likely, in the case of Gabon, to generate social conflict, destabilise the institutions of the republic and seriously jeopardise national unity, democratic progress and achievements,” he added.

In August 2023, President Ali Bongo Ondimba was ousted from power in a military coup. It was one of several on the west coast of Africa in recent years, including those in Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso.

Life on Hold: Stories of Displacement from the Ukraine War

What does it mean to put your life on hold when war forces you to leave home?

As the war in Ukraine enters its fifth year, people share how conflict has reshaped their lives, revealing feelings of longing, displacement and futures put on hold.

From separation from home and loved ones, to the quiet emotional toll of waiting, each voice reflects a different facet of living with a war seemingly without end. Life on Hold reveals the human side of conflict that exists beyond the headlines, where people draw on their resilience, vulnerability and the hope of eventually moving forward.

Farhan leads Pakistan into T20 World Cup Super Eights as Namibia crumble

Pakistan have stormed into the Super Eights with their best performance yet at the 2026 T20 World Cup, beating a below par Namibia by 102 runs.

Electing to bat first at the Sinhalese Sports Club Ground in Colombo on Wednesday, Pakistan hit 199-9 with Sahibzada Farhan hitting his first T20 international century.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The 29-year-old was unbeaten on exactly 100 after facing 58 balls, hitting 11 fours and four sixes, while Usman Tariq registered his career-best bowling figures with 4-16.

The victory confirmed Pakistan’s place in the Super Eights stage of the tournament, which is being held in India and Sri Lanka, and it condemned their African opponents to their third defeat in their three group stage matches.

Farhan has now scored five T20 centuries in domestic and international cricket since the start of 2025.

“I have been playing domestic cricket for five years on a regular basis, and I don’t miss a match,” the right-hander said.

“The hard work in domestic cricket back home in Pakistan has paid off.

“Early on, the wicket wasn’t easy. I told the captain and agreed to play normal cricket until the sixth over, then play my natural game from there.

“We lost a couple of wickets in succession, so the idea was to build the partnership and then take charge.”

After losing to India on Sunday, a second defeat would have eliminated Pakistan and seen the United States or the Netherlands progressing from Group A.

Farhan, however, had other ideas and blasted a six and a four off pace bowler Jack Brassell to enter the 90s before taking a single off Gerhard Erasmus to complete his hundred in the final over.

Pakistan's Usman Tariq fields the ball during the 2026 ICC Men's T20 Cricket World Cup group stage match between Pakistan and Namibia
Pakistan’s Usman Tariq fields the ball during the 2026 ICC Men’s T20 Cricket World Cup match against Namibia [Ishara S Kodikara/AFP]

Farhan was ably supported by his captain, Salman Agha, who hit 38 off 23 balls in a partnership with the former worth 67 for the second wicket.

Shadab Khan, who was promoted to number five with Babar Azam left out, was equally as destructive as his captain with an unbeaten 36 off 22. His unbeaten stand with Farhan was worth 81 in 6.4 brutal overs with the former hitting three sixes.

Namibia’s chase never gained momentum despite a promising start from opener Louren Steenkamp, who ⁠raced to 23 before the African ⁠side began losing wickets at regular intervals.

Pakistan also left out pace bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi after a poor showing in the first three matches, including conceding 31 runs in two overs in the defeat against India on Sunday.

Spinner Shadab (3-19), however, proved instrumental with the ball as well, dismissing skipper Erasmus before having Alexander Busing-Volschenk ⁠stumped for 20 when the middle-order batter charged down the pitch as the ⁠required run rate mounted.

Spinner Tariq cleaned up the tail as Namibia were dismissed for 97, leaving them mired at the bottom of the group.

Pakistan, the last side to confirm their Super Eights qualification, will now face New Zealand on Sunday in Colombo.

Farhan’s ton means this is the first T20 World Cup in which three centuries have been scored.

He followed Sri Lanka’s Pathum Nissanka, who scored a hundred against Australia on Monday, and Canada’s Yuvraj Sama, who reached three figures against New Zealand on Tuesday.

Israeli minister wants to cancel ‘damned’ Oslo Accords

NewsFeed

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said his Religious Zionist Party wants to ‘cancel the damned Oslo Accords’ and encourage Palestinians to leave Gaza and the occupied West Bank, a plan that Palestinians say amounts to ethnic cleansing.