Although the details of a deal reached on Sunday were still being worked out, it appeared that Russia and Ukraine have stopped focusing on one another’s energy infrastructure this week.
“I can confirm that since this date, March 25 … there have been no attacks on energy objects. Heorhii Tykhyi, a spokesman for the Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told the Kyiv Independent on Thursday that neither Russia’s energy objects nor our energy objects were targeted by them.
The United States appeared to have abandoned the comprehensive ceasefire proposal it signed with Ukraine on March 11 when reaching the partial ceasefire agreement.
Russian President Vladimir Putin rejected it a week later during a phone call with US President Donald Trump, and negotiated a vaguely defined ceasefire on energy and infrastructure instead, to which Ukraine was not a party.
Following negotiations between Ukrainian and Russian negotiating teams, the US finally agreed to sign the smaller deal in Jeddah.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy had said on Sunday evening that “a ceasefire in our energy sector can begin today”.
Ukraine was previously accused of violating the ceasefire by Russia.
The Russian Federation’s Ministry of Defense reported that the [Kyiv] regime continued to attack the country’s energy infrastructure despite Zelensky’s public statement.
It accused Ukraine of launching two attack drones over Crimea on Wednesday night targeting an underground gas storage facility, and of launching another drone against a high-tension power line in the Russian regions of Bryansk and Kursk, causing a cascade of blackouts.
The Ukrainian Armed Forces’ General Staff denies the claims made.
According to them, “the aggressor country’s military department makes false and unfounded accusations in order to prolong the war.”
The governors of Crimea, Kursk and Bryansk did not report Ukrainian UAVs in their airspace, as they usually do.
Over the past ten days, Russia has been engaging in diplomatic messaging, accusing Ukraine of violating ceasefires that it had agreed to.
It alleged that Ukraine had destroyed a gas measuring station in Sudzha, in the Kursk region of Russia, on Friday.

Ukraine’s General Staff said Sudzha was “shelled by the Russians themselves” in a “campaign to discredit Ukraine”.
Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for the Kremlin, responded with a retaliation. He claimed that Ukraine’s denial “shows how much one can trust the Kyiv regime.”
Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova piled on, too.
Ukraine “already attacked the Russian power facility in violation of the United States’ proposed truce.” The question is now how Washington will continue to operate under the “mad terrorist scum.”
Sudzha is the point where a major Russian gas pipeline crosses into Ukraine.
After Russia drastically reduced gas flows to Europe in 2022, the pipeline was essentially defunct, and it ended on December 31 when a Russian-Ukraine transit contract expired.
Over the course of three years of conflict, Ukraine had numerous opportunities to obliterate or shut down Russian gas pipelines that had been crossing its territory.
Russia says Ukraine wants to ‘ thwart ‘ peace plans
Russia’s emphasis on Ukraine’s unreliability has been a constant theme throughout the conflict, and it has grown in recent days in an effort to obstruct its ability to negotiate.
For instance, on March 18, when Putin switched to a partial ceasefire, the Kremlin unilaterally announced that the Ukrainian ceasefire would go into effect immediately and without any prior consent.
Two days later, Zakharova accused Kyiv of violating the ceasefire by attacking the Engels air force base in Russia.
By attacking Russian energy facilities, Zakharova said, “Kyiv wants to thwart peace initiatives, including those proposed by Trump.”
Zelenskyy’s government “exhibited a complete lack of political will for peace,” she claimed.
That attack targeted ammunition, Ukraine’s General Staff said on Thursday. 96 air-launched cruise missiles were destroyed as a result of secondary detonations. According to the staff, the missiles were used in three airstrikes against Ukraine in March and April.
Russia’s Defence Ministry, on the other hand, admitted to striking Ukrainian energy facilities on the first night of Putin’s unilateral ceasefire, and on the following night.

Russia and Ukraine exchanged 175 prisoners of war each, and Russia also gave birth to 22 hospitalized soldiers on March 18. One aspect of the phone call clearly worked.
Russia continued to communicate even on Sunday.
As the agreement was announced, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov denounced Zelenskyy in an interview with Russia’s Channel One, saying, “We cannot take this man at his word”.
Russia used 139 Shahed drones and an Iskander-M ballistic missile to attack Ukraine the same day. 78 of them were fatally shot by Ukraine, disorienting 34 of them electronically.
But other Russian attacks were deadly. A father and his 5-year-old daughter were among the three victims of the drone strike in Kyiv on Saturday. In a drone strike on Friday in Zaporizhia, three people were killed.
The White House did not respond to Russian assertions, spending the week in a defensive crouch after its top national security officials were revealed to have discussed operational defence plans against Yemeni Houthis on a commercial platform, and inadvertently included a journalist in that discussion.
Regarding ceasefire terms, the EU and the US are very different.
After separate Russian, Ukrainian, and US statements that didn’t align, Ukrainian and Russian technical teams were reportedly working out issues with Sunday’s agreement.
In addition to banning strikes on energy infrastructure, the White House said, the agreement aimed to secure safe navigation in the Black Sea and “help restore Russia’s access to the world market for agricultural and fertiliser exports”.
Russia went further, claiming that sanctions against Russian agricultural machinery and shipping could only be lifted if the deal were to become legally binding.
Zelenskyy denied that the US and Ukrainian teams had reached an agreement regarding Russian access to the grain and fertilizer markets.
“We believe that this is a weakening of positions and a relaxation of sanctions”, Zelenskyy told reporters in Kyiv on Tuesday. “This was not on our agenda,” we said.
Zelenskyy and the European Union came to terms.

The European Council of the 27 EU leaders said on March 20 that it “remains ready to step up pressure on Russia, including through further sanctions and by strengthening the enforcement of existing measures … to weaken its ability to continue waging its war of aggression”.
It stated that Russian central bank assets worth $300 billion would remain frozen “until Russia stops its aggression against Ukraine and makes reparations for the harm it caused.”
Anitta Hipper, a spokesman for the European Commission’s foreign affairs, reiterated that statement on Wednesday, saying the EU would consider lifting sanctions if Russia “puts end to its unprovoked aggression” and to withdrew without condition.
The situation on the ground
Throughout the week, Ukraine fought back against continuing Russian assaults that focused on the eastern Donetsk region of Ukraine.
Russian forces are weakening, according to Viktor Tregubov, a spokesperson for the Khortytsia operational group of Ukrainian ground forces.
“There are fewer of them, and they have less equipment. He claimed on Saturday that the men fighting there claim to be seeing fewer Russians at the moment. Simply put, “Russia has suffered significant losses.” But they cannot leave this area, because it is still part of their plans to control this part of the Donetsk region”, he said.
Colonel General Oleksandr Syrskii, the commander of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, reported rising daily casualty rates in Russia. In the last three years of combat, 540 000 Russians have been killed and wounded, exceeding the 900 000 mark, according to reports.
Ukraine’s General Staff on Thursday said a drone strike on the Engels-2 airfield in Russia a week earlier had resulted in the destruction of 96 air-launched cruise missiles from secondary detonations. According to them, the missiles were used in three airstrikes against Ukraine in March and April.
In the Russian region of Kursk, Ukraine has experienced a setback in the past two weeks as a result of a counterinvasion last summer.
One of Ukraine’s stated reasons for that initiative was that it forestalled a new invasion Russia was preparing in its Sumy and Kharkiv regions in the autumn.
Now that Ukraine has been resurrected in Kursk, Zelenskyy told French newspaper Le Figaro on Wednesday.
Russian reconnaissance and sabotage groups were already advancing further into the Sumy region, according to Ukrainian Border Guard spokesman Andriy Demchenko, who spoke to a telethon.
“The enemy does not give up its sabotage activities. In the north of Sumy, the majority of enemy reconnaissance and sabotage organizations were previously exposed. We are now recording enemy groups’ attempts to move closer to the southeast and the southern regions of Sumy, he said, when they attempt to cross the state border.
Demchenko also told a telethon that Russian forces were conducting shelling and air attacks in Sumy. At the height of Ukraine’s Kursk operation, these activities had almost stopped.
At least 300 Russian strikes were recorded by Sumy police in 43 different settlements on the day of the agreement in Jeddah.