After health rumours, UAE President MBZ seen meeting with US lawmaker

Emirati President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has made his first appearance since rumours about his health spread online.

The Presidential Court on Wednesday shared video footage of the Emirati president, also known as MBZ, smiling alongside Republican US Senator Lindsey Graham during a meeting in Abu Dhabi.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

WAM, the UAE’s official news agency, also shared photographs of the encounter at Qasr Al Shati, in which MBZ appeared alongside Graham.

In a social media post, the US senator rebuffed in no uncertain terms any claims that the UAE president may be unwell.

“To those who are perpetuating false narratives against the United Arab Emirates and President Sheikh [Mohamed bin Zayed] personally, you are full of it,” Graham said on X.

“Not only is he alive, but he is also well and as sharp as I’ve ever seen him.”

Graham, a top Republican in Congress, hailed MBZ for embracing the so-called Abraham Accords, a series of US-brokered deals to normalise relations between Israel and Arab states.

The UAE was among the countries to sign on to the initiative, which was unveiled in 2020 during US President Donald Trump’s first term in office.

Leila Shahid, Palestinian diplomat, dies in France aged 76

Leila Shahid, the first female diplomat to represent Palestine abroad, has died at age 76, drawing an outpouring of condolences and tributes.

Citing Shahid’s family, Le Monde newspaper said the former Palestinian ambassador to France died on Wednesday at her home in the south of the country.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

“She died today,” her sister Zeina told the AFP news agency, without providing further details.

“Leila Shahid, the iconic ambassador of Palestine, has left us,” Hala Abou-Hassira, the Palestinian ambassador to France, wrote on social media. “A tremendous loss for Palestine and for the world that believes in justice.”

Majed Bamya, the deputy Palestinian envoy to the United Nations, also paid tribute to Shahid, describing her as “a voice for justice, freedom and peace”.

“She is Palestine personified in the francophone world. She’s the one who convinced me to join the diplomatic corps, or as she put it, to have the honour of representing a cause and a people,” Bamya wrote on X.

“I had the honour of serving alongside her, of learning alongside her, of witnessing her magnanimity and compassion, and seeing how she embodies the aspirations and suffering of her people.”

Hussam Zumlot, the Palestinian ambassador to the United Kingdom, also hailed Shahid as “a towering figure, a role model and one of the most inspiring diplomats Palestine has ever known”.

“Palestine has lost a seasoned and steadfast voice — one who carried her people’s cause with grace, conviction, and unwavering dedication,” he wrote on X.

‘Her fight is our fight’

Born in the Lebanese capital Beirut in 1949, Shahid studied at the American University of Beirut, where she met Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.

She worked in Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon before becoming the first woman to represent the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) abroad, beginning her career in Ireland in 1989, before also becoming a representative in the Netherlands and Denmark.

She served as Palestinian ambassador to France for more than a decade, from 1994 until 2005, and later as the envoy to the European Union, Belgium and Luxembourg.

(FILES) Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat (R), next to Palestine's general delegate in France, Leila Shahid (C), offers flowers to French President Jacques Chirac on July1, 2000 at his arrival at the Elysee Palace in Paris.
Shahid (centre) alongside Yasser Arafat, right, and then-French President Jacques Chirac in 2000 at the Elysee Palace in Paris [File: AFP]

In an interview with France24 in September of last year, Shahid hailed France’s decision to formally recognise a Palestinian state.

“I think it’s very, it’s very important, it’s not only symbolic,” she said. “We are reminding the world that it’s [about] self-determination, and we don’t know any other form for self-determination except a state.”

But she added that a lot of work still needed to be done “to change the reality” for Palestinians.

“We know that on the ground, we are witnessing a genocide in Gaza and very, very violent, brutal attacks by the settlers in the West Bank,” she told France24. “We have been occupied since 1967, and you can’t make a state under military Israeli rule.”

On Wednesday, Abou-Hassira – the Palestinian ambassador to France – said in a statement that Shahid never stopped speaking out against the Israeli occupation or believing that “justice would ultimately prevail”.

Her death comes “as Palestine is experiencing one of the darkest chapters in its history”, Abou-Hassira said.

“In her memory, we commit to continuing what she started. Her fight is our fight. Her determination is our compass. Her demand for dignity, justice, and truth remains our roadmap.”

(FILES) Palestinian representative in France Leila Shahid meets people gathered in front of the Percy military hospital in the southwestern Paris suburb of Clamart in support of Palestinian authority leader Yasser Arafat who is being treated, on November 2, 2004.
Shahid meets people gathered in front of a military hospital near Paris as Yasser Arafat was being treated in 2004 [File: AFP]

US says that it will review Moderna flu vaccine it previously declined

The federal agency tasked with regulating drugs in the United States has said it will review a flu vaccine application from the pharmaceutical giant Moderna, one week after it declined to do so in an unusual move.

Moderna announced on Wednesday that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had accepted a revised application seeking full approval for a new flu shot to be offered to patients between the ages of 50 and 64 and expedited approval for those over 65.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

“Pending FDA approval, we look forward to making our flu vaccine available later this year so that America’s seniors have access to a new option to protect themselves against flu,” CEO Stephane Bancel said in a statement.

He also expressed thanks for the FDA’s “engagement” on the issue.

The FDA’s decision to accept Moderna’s application marked an abrupt reversal from its earlier stance. On February 10, Moderna revealed that the FDA had denied its application to review the new flu vaccine for use among older adults.

That announcement sparked concerns in the pharmaceutical industry about how new vaccines would be received under US President Donald Trump, whose administration has rescinded certain vaccine guidelines.

Some Trump officials, most notably Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F Kennedy Jr, have also spread false claims about vaccine safety.

At the time, Moderna called the agency’s rejection “inconsistent with previous written communications” with the FDA.

The decision, Bancel said in a statement, “did not identify any safety or efficacy concerns with our product” and “does not further our shared goal of enhancing America’s leadership in developing innovative medicines”.

The agency’s refusal to consider the company’s application was an unusual move.

In a “refusal to file” letter rejecting the initial application, the FDA’s vaccine director Vinay Prasad argued that Moderna should have included a high-dose brand for comparison in its trial process.

Moderna had undertaken a 40,000-person clinical trial, focused on adults age 50 and older, that concluded its new vaccine was more effective than a standard shot.

The company publicly responded that the FDA had itself recommended that approach when it approved the trial study.

In a compromise, Moderna agreed to conduct another study once the new flu shot is available. The FDA is aiming to reach a decision on the revised application by August 5.

The flu shot was created with mRNA technology, a subject of frequent criticism from Kennedy, who has promoted anti-vaccine views and replaced experts in the Health and Human Services Department with figures who share his scepticism.

She took on Britain’s Palestine Action ban. Then she won.

Israel approves West Bank land claims unless Palestinians prove ownership, sparking ‘annexation’ accusations.

The United Kingdom’s High Court has ruled that Palestine Action should never have been proscribed as a “terrorist” organization. As the case winds its way to a final decision, what does this mean for the thousands of Britons who have been arrested — and for the future of Palestinian solidarity in the UK?

In this episode: 

  • Huda Ammori (@HudaAmmori), Co-Founder, Palestine Action

Episode credits:

This episode was produced by Marcos Bartolomé and Tamara Khandaker with Melanie Marich, Maya Hamadeh, Tuleen Barakat, and our guest host, Kevin Hirten. It was edited by Tamara Khandaker and Alexandra Locke. 

Our sound designer is Alex Roldan.  Our video editors are Hisham Abu Salah and Mohannad al-Melhemm. Alexandra Locke is The Take’s executive producer. Ney Alvarez is Al Jazeera’s head of audio. 

Connect with us:

Iranian families mark protest killings as schools observe strikes

Tehran, Iran – Families across Iran have commemorated loved ones killed during nationwide protests last month, while teachers said school strikes were taking place to protest the killings.

Many attended ceremonies at Behesht-e Zahra, Tehran’s grand cemetery, on Tuesday and Wednesday, which marked 40 days – a traditional period of mourning – since the nights of January 8 and 9, when thousands were killed amid an unprecedented state-imposed internet and phone-service shutdown.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Numerous videos have emerged online showing similar commemorations in many cities, including Lahijan to the north, Quchan and Mashhad in the northeast, Marvdasht in the south, and Najafabad in central Iran.

Chants of “for each person killed, thousands are behind them” could be heard in many of the ceremonies. Mourners spread flower petals, lit candles and somberly clapped in solidarity with the families.

At a ceremony on Tuesday to honour 19-year-old Sepehr Shokri, his father told gathered crowds, “Don’t talk of death, but of life and happiness”, as he said his son had laid down his life for his country.

The father had captured hearts last month after releasing an excruciating 12-minute video of himself searching for his son among numerous bodies of killed protesters laid out in the open at the courtyards and warehouses of the Kahrizak medical examiner’s office, on the outskirts of Tehran.

Some of the commemoration events took place in smaller cities and villages, like Abdanan in the western province of Ilam, where thousands had participated in protests last month. Multiple videos circulating online on Tuesday showed mourners running away in panic from the cemetery of the city as the sound of bullets rang out.

In the village of Chenar in the Asadabad area of western Hamadan province, people could be seen chanting “death to the dictator” as they marched to pay respects to a father and his 13-year-old son who were gunned down during the protests. Local reports said security forces deployed to the area with armoured vehicles, but officials have not commented.

‘Threats to students and teachers’

The Coordinating Council of Iranian Teachers’ Trade Associations, a non-governmental body, said on Wednesday that its call for school strikes on Tuesday and Wednesday had been backed by large numbers of teachers and students.

It said schools in the cities and towns of Shahr-e Rey, Baharestan, Pakdasht, Varamin, and Eslamshahr near Tehran were effectively shut due to the absence of students on Wednesday, while high school students in the town of Andisheh did not attend classes as a way to honour fellow students killed in the protests.

“These strikes occurred despite threats to students and teachers against striking from school principals, who themselves have been pressured by the Ministry of Education,” the group said, adding that at least 230 children and teenagers were killed last month.

Iran’s Justice Minister Amin Hossein Rahimi confirmed to state media on Wednesday that some of the children and teenagers arrested during the protests remain incarcerated. He said “many” minors have been released without saying how many were arrested.

Ehsan Azimirad, the spokesman of the parliament’s education commission, said that 17 percent of the participants in the nationwide protests were teenagers, many of them students.

“I have even heard that in some schools, an entire class had participated in the riots,” he said, adding that in some provinces, up to 45 percent of protesters were under 20 years old. Officials have previously said that most of the protesters across the country were in their 20s.

This comes amid widespread reports, also disseminated by some local media outlets, of a heavy presence of security forces near or inside schools in the aftermath of the protests. Some families have been concerned about sending their children to school.

Universities and dormitories have also become focus points for security forces, with reports indicating that some people have had their phones searched while others have been summoned for questioning. University students have also been among the large number of people arrested from their homes since last month. Iranian authorities have not released overall arrest figures.

A number of Tehran University students peacefully demonstrated on campus on Wednesday to observe the 40th day since the height of the protest killings.

Last month, members of the Basij – an Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) paramilitary force – hung up a banner reading “Either death or Khamenei” at one of the entrances of the university, in support of 86-year-old Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. Iranian authorities have also displayed a vehicle burned by “rioters” near another entrance.

Clashing versions of events

The Iranian government claims 3,117 people were killed during the unrest, saying that “terrorists” and “rioters” were behind the violence, and were armed and funded by the United States and Israel, which organised an ultimately failed “coup”.

A list of victims published by the government last month said 690 of those killed were “terrorists”, with others either civilians or security forces. But it did not say who was classified under which category, or exactly where, how, when or by whom they were killed.

The United Nations and international human rights organisations have blamed state forces for the widespread use of lethal force against protesters, and have called for the release of those arrested, including doctors and nurses who tried to help wounded protesters. The UN Human Rights Council adopted a censure resolution against Iran’s establishment last month.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency says it has verified 7,015 deaths during the unrest and is investigating more than 11,700 other cases. Mai Sato, the UN special rapporteur on Iran, said last month that more than 20,000 civilians may have been killed as information remains limited amid access constraints.

The Iranian government on Tuesday and Wednesday held its own version of the 40th day ceremonies at the Grand Mosalla of Tehran, a huge mosque in the downtown part of the capital. A number of officials, including government spokeswoman Fatemeh Mohajerani, were in attendance.

On Tuesday, Iran’s supreme leader outlined his classification of the thousands killed during the nationwide protests, and divided them into several groups.

According to Khamenei, the first group are security forces, recognised as “the greatest of martyrs”.

The second were “passerby” civilians, he said. “Wherever this bullet [that killed them] may have come from, this incident occurred in the enemy’s sedition, and they are martyrs”.

“The third group are those who were deceived, who acted naively, who were inexperienced and went along with the seditionists,” Khamenei said, adding, “We ask forgiveness for them; they made mistakes”.