Sinner lands ATP Finals title as Alcaraz rivalry delivers again

Getty Images
  • 139 Comments

Jannik Sinner is relishing more “great battles” with Carlos Alcaraz in 2026 after overcoming the world number one in two tight sets to defend his ATP Finals crown in Turin.

For the second consecutive year, the Italian captured the title without dropping a set throughout the tournament, winning 7-6 (7-4) 7-5 in the final, and is now unbeaten in 31 consecutive matches on indoor hard courts.

It was Sinner’s second victory in six finals against Spaniard Alcaraz this season and closed the gap in their head-to-head record to 10-6.

The duo have dominated the 2025 men’s tour calendar, winning a combined 14 titles, including all four Grand Slams, and the ‘Sincaraz’ rivalry went stratospheric in June when Alcaraz fought back from two sets down and saved three championship points to win a Roland Garros epic.

The Spaniard also triumphed in Rome, Cincinnati and at the US Open, but Sinner, who came out on top at Wimbledon, had the final word in front of home support.

“You are definitely a player I look up to, a lot of motivation. I hope to see you again next year with great battles ahead of us,” said Sinner, who pockets just over $5million (£3.85m) as champion, as he addressed Alcaraz.

“It was a close match-up. [Alcaraz had] set point in the first set and I’m happy with how I handed the situation. It means the world to me. Playing against Carlos, you have to play your best.”

Alcaraz, who has won seven of their past nine meetings, is similarly keen to renew their rivalry next year, issuing a friendly warning.

    • 5 hours ago

Despite missing out on the year-end number one ranking, Sinner said there could be “no better ending” to 2025.

A successful year on court saw him add two Grand Slam titles to his collection, including a maiden Wimbledon triumph, and reach all four major finals.

He missed three months of the season to serve a doping ban but still collected six titles – the second-best haul of his career – after reaching the final in 10 of the 12 tournaments he entered.

This latest win extends his prolific record at the end-of-season showpiece event, where he has not lost a match since being defeated by Novak Djokovic in the 2023 final.

Sinner becomes just the fourth player to successfully retain the men’s singles title this century, joining Lleyton Hewitt, Roger Federer and Djokovic.

All signs point to more dominance by 22-year-old Alcaraz and 24-year-old Sinner in the new year, and more contests played at this high level can only be a good thing for the sport.

After the first 11 games came and went without a break point, Sinner was forced to save set point with a huge second serve.

He then dominated the tie-break, capitalising on a run of backhand errors from Alcaraz and executing a couple of pinpoint lobs, to seal the first set.

His usually reliable serve faltered in the opening game of the second, with a pair of untimely double faults gifting Alcaraz, sporting a bandaged right thigh after receiving treatment earlier in the match, an early break.

However, Sinner hit back with a break of his own in the sixth game before saving a break point in the seventh to keep the set on serve, whipping the crowd into a frenzy with each point he won.

Related topics

  • Tennis

More on this story

    • 2 days ago
    Carlos Alcaraz clenches his fist in celebration after beating Lorenzo Musetti
  • Some tennis balls
    • 16 August
    BBC Sport microphone and phone

Jets’ Boyd in critical condition after Manhattan shooting

Kris Boyd, a cornerback for American football team the New York Jets, was shot in the abdomen early Sunday, according to US media.

The 29-year-old is in critical condition at the hospital, the New York Police Department told CBS News, the BBC’s US partner. The NYPD did not name Boyd as the victim, but a spokesperson for the Jets confirmed to the BBC that Boyd had been shot.

At around 02:00 local time (07:00 GMT) on Sunday morning, police received a 911 call about a shooting in midtown Manhattan. Police responded to a location outside a high-end restaurant called Sei Less.

“We are aware of the situation involving Kris Boyd and will have no further comment at this time,” a spokesperson for the Jets told the BBC.

Prior to joining the Jets earlier this year, Boyd played two seasons with the Houston Texans, following one season with the Arizona Cardinals and four seasons with the Minnesota Vikings.

The cornerback had been on injured reserve for the Jets after suffering a shoulder injury during team practice in August.

New York Jets linebacker Jermaine Johnson posted on X asking for prayers for his teammate.

“Lord please hold your healing hand over Kris and guide him back to health and safety. Lord I ask that you please just get him through this safely,” Johnson wrote.

Cruz Beckham ‘gutted’ after losing driving licence two years after passing test

David and Victoria Beckham’s youngest son, Cruz, has had his driving licence revoked just two years after passing his test, as he was caught speeding in a 20mph zone

Cruz Beckham has lost his driving licence just two years after passing his test, according to reports. The 20-year-old was caught speeding on two occasions, including one in a 20 mph zone.

David and Victoria Beckham’s youngest son is said to have racked up six points for his speeding offences. One such speeding offence is thought to have taken place on 2 September, as at the time, Cruz took to Instagram to share that he’d “just got done for doing 24 in a 20”.

He is reportedly “gutted” that his licence has been revoked so soon after getting it, and he will now have to reapply for a provisional licence and pass bot the theory and practical driving tests to be allowed on the roads again.

READ MORE: Heal’s launches winter sale for the ultimate Christmas table from £6READ MORE: Cruz Beckham’s girlfriend Jackie Apostel breaks down in tears after watching him on stage

A source told the Mail: “Cruz is gutted about it. It was a couple of speeding tickets which are so easy to come by these days with 20mph zones. It’s infuriating but he seems to have accepted it and taken it on the chin.”

According to the DVLA, if a driver gets six or more penalty points within two years of passing their test, their licence is immediately revoked and made void.

This will be especially devastating for Cruz, who is thought to be a car fanatic, much like his father. David Beckham has been accused of speeding as well.

In 2018, he was almost prosecuted for going 59mph in a 4-mph zone, but his lawyer was able to fight the allegation on a technicality. Celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman, nicknamed Mr Loophole, successfully argued the speeding notice arrived one day too late. As such, the former footballer did not face prosecution.

The lawyer also helped David overturn an eight-month driving ban in 1999. David was initially banned for eight months and issued a fine of £800 after driving 76mph in a 50mph zone, but his lawyer argued there were special circumstances as his client was trying shirk paparazzi.

Cruz’s brother Brooklyn has also sparked concern over dangerous driving after he posted a video on social media of himself speeding through LA on a motorbike without a helmet. Viewers urged him to drive in more protective clothing, warning that “a few likes on Instagram is not worth getting killed for”.

Brooklyn and Cruz don’t appear to be on speaking terms at the minute, as the elder Beckham is embroiled in a feud with his family. He is thought to be open to ending the animosity but only if his parents publicly apologise to him and his wife, Nicola Peltz.

Article continues below

A source told The Mail: “There is an obvious first step which would be a public acknowledgement [by David and Victoria] of what they did, and an apology. It cannot be a performative thing. There is no realistic chance of a reconciliation without that happening first.”

The Mirror has contacted Cruz’s representatives for comment.

FULL LIST: Osimhen Named In Final Shortlist For CAF Player Of The Year

Super Eagles forward Victor Osimhen is among the three finalists for the CAF Player of the Year award. 

The Galatasaray man, the winner of the award in 2023, will battle it out with Mohamed Salah (Egypt/Liverpool) and Achraf Hakimi (Morocco/Paris Saint-Germain) for Africa’s most-coveted individual prize.

Osimhen was part of the list released on Sunday evening by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) for the award last won by Nigeria’s Ademola Lookman.

In the women’s version, Nigeria’s Rasheedat Ajibade was also part of the shortlist for the prize.

She will contend with Morocco’s duo of Ghizlane Chebbak and Sanaa Mssoudy.

READ ALSO: Ajibade Listed, Okoronkwo Missing In Final Shortlist For CAF Women’s Best Player

Men’s category: CAF Award

Below are the shortlists for the men’s categories in the 2025 CAF Awards.

Player of the Year

Mohamed Salah (Egypt/Liverpool)
Achraf Hakimi (Morocco/Paris Saint-Germain)
Victor Osimhen (Nigeria/Galatasaray)

Goalkeeper of the Year

Munir Mohamedi (Morocco/RS Berkane)
Yassine Bonou (Morocco/Al Hilal)
Ronwen Williams (South Africa/Mamelodi Sundowns)

Interclub Player of the Year

Fiston Mayele (DR Congo/Pyramids)
Mohamed Chibi (Morocco/Pyramids)
Oussama Lamlioui (Morocco/RS Berkane)

Coach of the Year

Bubista (Cape Verde)
Mohamed Ouahbi (Morocco U-20)
Walid Regragui (Morocco)

Young Player of the Year

Abdellah Ouazane (Morocco/Ajax)
Othmane Maamma (Morocco/Watford)
Tylon Smith (South Africa/Queens Park Rangers)

National Team of the Year

Cape Verde
Morocco
Morocco U-20

Club of the Year

Ecuador votes on return of US military bases to tackle drug violence

Ecuadoreans are voting on whether to lift a constitutional ban on foreign military bases as right-wing President Daniel Noboa pushes for help from the United States in confronting spiralling drug-fuelled violence.

Nearly 14 million people cast ballots on Sunday in a referendum that also asks whether to reduce the number of lawmakers.

Recommended Stories

list of 2 itemsend of list

The vote comes as Ecuador grapples with unprecedented bloodshed, with the country’s homicide rate projected to hit 50 per 100,000 people this year, the highest in Latin America.

Polls suggest more than 61 percent of voters back allowing foreign bases, which would likely see the US return to the Manta airbase on the Pacific coast.

US forces operated from Manta between 1999 and 2009 as part of anti-narcotics efforts, until leftist President Rafael Correa held a referendum on foreign troops, resulting in their constitutional ban.

Ecuador, once considered one of the more stable countries in the region, has in recent years faced a sharp rise in violence, with drug cartels, including powerful ones from Mexico, exploiting porous borders and weak institutions to expand their influence.

Noboa, a 37-year-old heir to a prominent banana-exporting fortune, who took office in November 2023, has responded with militarised crackdowns, deployed soldiers to the streets and prisons, launched raids on gang strongholds, declared states of emergency and tightened security at key infrastructure hubs.

The first half of this year saw 4,619 murders, the highest on record, according to Ecuador’s Organized Crime Observatory.

As voting opened, Noboa announced the capture in Spain of Wilmer Geovanny Chavarria Barre, known as Pipo, leader of the notorious Los Lobos gang, who had faked his death and fled to Europe.

He was arrested in the Spanish city of Malaga after Ecuadorean authorities worked with their Spanish counterparts to track him down.

Interior Minister John Reimberg linked Chavarria to more than 400 killings and said he had run criminal networks from behind bars for eight years until 2019.

Noboa said the Los Lobos chief had overseen illicit mining schemes and maintained trafficking connections with Mexico’s Jalisco New Generation Cartel, all whilst hiding in Europe under a false identity.

The US designated Los Lobos and Los Choneros, another Ecuadorian crime syndicate, as “terrorist” organisations in September.

Critics question whether military force alone can address the crisis.

Former President Correa has described the return of foreign forces as “an insult to our public forces and an assault to our sovereignty”, adding: “We do not need foreign soldiers. We need government.”

The referendum also includes questions on a constituent assembly that opposition groups fear could allow Noboa to consolidate power.

In August, Noboa led a demonstration against Constitutional Court justices, with officials calling them “enemies of the people” after they limited expansive security laws.

Critics of the president also argue that a constitutional rewrite will not solve problems like insecurity and poor access to health and education services.

Ecuador became a major cocaine transit hub after the 2016 peace deal in Colombia demobilised guerrillas from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), with international trafficking organisations quickly filling the void.

The country’s Pacific ports, proximity to coca-producing Peru and Colombia, and weak institutions have made it central to the global cocaine supply chain.

Who is in ‘form of his life’? – how England players rated in Albania

Getty Images
  • 361 Comments

England completed a 100% World Cup qualification record with a hard-fought 2-0 win in their final Group K fixture against Albania.

Manager Thomas Tuchel fielded a largely understrength starting XI in Tirana – but who caught the eye?

England’s starting XI

Dean Henderson – Two important saves from Arber Hoxha to keep Albania at bay in the second half. Will be back-up to Jordan Pickford next summer. 6

Jarell Quansah – Can be happy with this England debut in an unfamiliar position at right-back. He doesn’t have a long-term future in the position but did a good job for his team. 7

John Stones – Stepped into midfield at every opportunity. Just as adept in the middle of the park as he is in the heart of defence. Crucial for England. 6.5

Dan Burn – Saw plenty of the ball but was no more than steady with his passing. Still questions over his ability against top international attackers. 6

Nico O’Reilly – Was caught by a couple of lapses in concentration in the first half but grew into the game. Can be happy with his first two international caps. 6

Adam Wharton – Showed flashes of the ability that marks him one of England’s most promising central midfielders but nowhere near enough to dislodge Elliot Anderson from the usual starting XI. 6

Declan Rice – England’s number four was once again deployed in the number eight position. Not his most eye-catching display but remains one of England’s most important players. 6.5

Jarrod Bowen – Made a couple of meaningful marks down the right-hand side but the position belongs to Bukayo Saka and everyone knows it. 6

Jude Bellingham – Flittered in and out of the game on his return to the England team and appeared frustrated to be coming off, but he will be so important to his country’s chances of World Cup success. 6.5

Eberechi Eze – Did not pose a consistent enough threat down England’s left. More suited to a role at number 10 – where England are overloaded with options. 6

England substitutes

Phil Foden – One raking pass into Quansah, in particular, caught the eye. 6

Bukayo Saka – Instantly upped the tempo and provided the corner that led to England’s winner. 7

Marcus Rashford – Little time to impress on the left but put the ball on a plate for Kane’s second to make an instant impact. 7

Elliot Anderson – Will head to the World Cup as a starter, barring loss of form or an injury. 6

How BBC Sport readers rated the players

The Player Rater cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable JavaScript or try another browser.

Player of the match

H. Kane

7.90
21 A. Hoxha

5.70

1 T. Strakosha

5.63

10 N. Bajrami

5.28

8 K. Asllani

5.27

11 M. Uzuni

5.27

17 N. Aliji

5.26

6 B. Djimsiti

5.23

18 A. Ismajli

5.23

4 E. Hysaj

5.14

20 Y. Ramadani

5.13

14 Q. Laçi

5.00

22 A. Broja

4.90

2 I. Balliu

4.87

15 A. Pajaziti

4.59

Related topics

  • Football
  • England Men’s Football Team

More on this story

    • 2 hours ago
    Thomas Tuchel and Jude Bellingham