US Open wins keep Alcaraz, Djokovic on track for semis clash

Novak Djokovic overcame an early scare to advance to the third round of the US Open, while Carlos Alcaraz triumphed decisively in straight sets.

On Wednesday, Alcaraz defeated Italy’s Mattia Bellucci 6-1, 6-6, 6-3 on the Arthur Ashe Stadium main court in just one hour and 36 minutes. Alcaraz faces Djokovic in the semifinals at Flushing Meadows if the draw follows the seedings.

The 22-year-old Spanish second seed defeated the 65th-ranked Bellucci, whose best Grand Slam performance came with a bid to Wimbledon’s third round earlier this year. The 22-year-old unfurled a string of 32 winners in a dominant display.

Alcaraz, 32nd seed Luciano Darderi, and another Italian in the next round, will face “I played great, from the beginning until the last ball,” Alcaraz said.

He continued, “The more time I spend on court, the better it is for me to go to bed early.”

After falling four sets to American qualifier Zachary Svajda, Serbian legend Djokovic kept his goal of a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam singles title alive.

However, Djokovic was forced to redouble after losing the first set before coming away with a 7-6 (5/7), 6-3, 6-3, 6-1 win.

The 38-year-old stated that as the tournament progresses, he hopes to improve himself as a result, despite not being at his best.

He said, “That’s what I’m hoping, the more I feel about my game the more I advance,”

With his victory, Djokovic will advance to the third round of the US Open, where he will face Britain’s Cameron Norrie, who defeated argentine Francisco Comesana 7-6 (7 / 5), 6-3, 6-7 (0 / 7), 7-6 (7 / 4), in a record-equal 19th time.

Casper Ruud, the 2022 US Open finalist, lost to Belgium’s Raphael Collignon 6-4, 3-6, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 in other men’s tennis action on Wednesday.

Fourth seed Taylor Fritz advanced safely, beating South Africa’s Lloyd Harris 4-6, 7-6 (7/3), 6-2, 6-4.

Aryna Sabalenka, the defending champion and world number one, defeated unseeded Russian Polina Kudermetova 7-6 (7/4) 6-2 to advance to the next round of the women’s draw.

Sabalenka asserted her control in the second set after taking the first set of a tie-break. In the third round, the Belarusian will face Leylah Fernandez from Canada.

“The first set was extremely aggressive and tight.” I was relieved to be free from that pressure and to give it back to her. I felt much better in the return game in the second set.

[Sarah Stier/Getty Images via AFP] Aryna Sabalenka defeated Polina Kudermetova in straight sets to advance to the third round.

Emma Raducanu of Great Britain defeated Indonesian qualifier Janice Tjen 6-2, 6-1, to extend her strong start to the tournament.

In 21 years, Tjen had become the first Indonesian player to reach the main draw of a Grand Slam, and he followed up with a first-round upset win over Veronika Kudermetova, the 24th seed.

But Raducanu, who is aiming to reclaim the US Open title she won as a qualifier aged 18, comfortably outperforms her. Elena Rybakina, the ninth seed, will face Raducanu in the following round.

Tjen’s tournament came to an end as well, as did Filipina Alexandra Eala, a second player from Southeast Asia.

Cristina Bucsa of Spain defeated Eala 6-4, 6-3 to make history as the first Filipino player to win a Grand Slam singles match since her defeat of 14th seed Clara Tauson on Sunday.

After defeating Russian Anna Blinkova 6-1, 6 (6), fourth seed Jessica Pegula advances to the third round. Victoria Azarenka, a 36-year-old two-time Australian Open champion from Belarus, defeated Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-3, 6-3 to claim a victory.

Weekly sports quiz: Who scored first goal at Everton’s new stadium?

Over the past seven days, there have been many exciting things going on, including stunning stadium openings, thrilling Vuelta a Espana drama, and a stunning new US Open hairstyle.

What data are gathered from this quiz?
Do you like to test your memory? Play the most recent quiz or sign up for notifications at our dedicated football quiz page to receive the most recent ones delivered straight to your device.

related subjects

  • Motorsport
  • Tennis
  • Formula 1
  • Rugby Union
  • Cycling
  • Football

Weekly sports quiz: Who scored first goal at Everton’s new stadium?

Over the past seven days, there have been many exciting things going on, including stunning stadium openings, thrilling Vuelta a Espana drama, and a stunning new US Open hairstyle.

What data are gathered from this quiz?
Do you like to test your memory? Play the most recent quiz or sign up for notifications at our dedicated football quiz page to receive the most recent ones delivered straight to your device.

related subjects

  • Motorsport
  • Tennis
  • Formula 1
  • Rugby Union
  • Cycling
  • Football

Rylan Clark issues powerful statement after praising migrants who saved mum’s life

Rylan Clark has doubled down on his plea as he released a powerful statement following his message on This Morning yesterday. The TV presenter said “migrants saved my mum’s life” while hosting the ITV show on Wednesday.

He was recently at his mother Linda’s bedside in hospital after she fell ill. Speaking on the ITV show , he said: “This country is built on immigration.

“Legal immigration — a lot of the nurses, the doctors that have saved my mum’s life have come over here from other countries. They’re living a great life, they’re paying into this tax system, they’re helping this country thrive.”






Rylan Clark and Linda


Rylan’s mum Linda was taken to hospital a few weeks ago
(
@rylan/instagram)

He went on: “I find it absolutely insane that all these people are risking their lives coming across the Channel. And when they get here, it does seem, and I think this is why a lot of Labour voters as well are saying there’s something wrong, it feels like, ‘Welcome, come on in’. That’s the narrative we’re being fed.

“Here’s the iPad. Here’s the NHS in reception of your hotel. Here’s three meals a day. Here’s a games room in the hotel. Have a lovely time and welcome.”

Hours later, Rylan took to his Instagram where he wrote: “You can be pro immigration and against illegal routes. You can support trans people and have the utmost respect for women.

“You can be heterosexual and still support gay rights. The list continues. Stop with this putting everyone in a box exercise and maybe have conversations instead of shouting on twitter.”

While on the ITV daytime show this week, Rylan said he was aware his view was “going to upset someone”. He explained: “There are people that have lived here all their lives that are struggling.





Rylan Clark migrants - https://www.instagram.com/p/DN3JerPWMJK/?hl=en-gb


Rylan shared a statement on his social media

“They’re homeless. Let’s not even discuss our homeless. There are people living on the streets, veterans, all of this. Let me be honest, everyone’s going to have an opinion about this and you’re going to upset someone.

“Something major needs to be done about this. The money that it’s costing us, the amount of people that are in this country that we have no idea who they are, what they’ve done, what they’re capable of – and clearly we see a lot of it in the press at the moment. Not all, but some, what some are doing to people in this country.”

Rylan continued: “How can it be that if I turn up at Heathrow Airport as a British citizen and I’ve left my passport in Spain, I’ve got to stand at that airport and won’t be let in.

“But if I arrive on a boat from Calais, I get taken to a four-star hotel? If I went to Spain, without one, I wouldn’t be let in. So how come if you turn up on a small boat you are.”

The TV and radio host was forced to cancel his work commitments just a few weeks ago when his mum Linda fell ill. “Mummy Linda isn’t well sadly so I won’t be hosting the show tomorrow,” he said at the time.

“Thank you to the emergency team at Princess Alexandra Hospital. Especially Tanya who really looked after my mum. Will keep you updated as she’s on the mend. She’s a trooper.” He later updated fans to say she was recovering well.

Rylan’s comments come as a swarm of anti-immigration protests have spread across the UK over the asylum hotels row. While, anti-racism protestors are hosting counter demonstrations.

A High Court judge ordered migrants be removed from a hotel in Essex, with residents in others towns seeking to replicate the results. Among the hotels at the centre of the protests, many are thought to be buildings that are housing families opposed to single men.

The landmark ruling came after a migrant was charged with sexually assaulting a schoolgirl after being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex. Up to 2,000 people flocked to the hotel and demanded its closure.

Sections of the crowd quickly turned violent – fighting with the police and throwing projectiles at officers. By the end of the protests, which were organised with the help of members of the far-right group Homeland, 16 people were charged.

Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTubeand Threads.

North Korea’s Kim, Putin to attend parade in China marking end of WWII

Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Un, the leader of North Korea, will attend a military parade in China to honor the 80 years since World War II.

The “Victory Day” parade in Beijing will take place next week, according to the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Thursday announcement.

A crowd-pleasing cast will be present, and there will be a demonstration of China’s most cutting-edge military technology.

According to the ministry, Presidents of Iran and Belarus, as well as Indonesian and Belarusian presidents, are on the guest list.

The parade coincides with the anniversary of the Japanese Empire’s official surrender to the Japanese on September 3, 1945.

Woo Won-shik, the speaker of the National Assembly, will lead the charge for South Korea, while Robert Fico, the country’s prime minister, will be the only Western official present.

Narendra Modi, the Indian prime minister, is unsure about the attendance.

Modi will be in Tianjin the following week to attend a summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, a Beijing-led security alliance.

Indian and Chinese ties intensified in 2020 as a result of a border dispute in the Himalayas, but they have since thawed as a result of President Donald Trump’s tariff war and shared economic grievances.

Along with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Kim and Putin are expected to be in the center of the parade.

In the face of international sanctions over its nuclear weapons program, Beijing provides Pyongyang with a crucial economic lifeline because North Korea is a treaty ally of China.

Since Putin’s unilateral invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Beijing has also come to play a similar part.

China has continued to purchase Russian energy from abroad and supply it with “dual use” parts, electronics, and parts for both military and civilian purposes.

In the weeks leading up to the invasion of Ukraine, Xi and Putin signed a “no limits partnership,” and North Korea and Russia have also grown closer since, with Pyongyang sending munitions and even soldiers to resupply Russian forces in their conflict with Ukraine.

‘Massive’ Russian attack on Ukraine’s Kyiv kills at least 4, dozens hurt

At least four people have been killed and more than 20 others have been injured in a Russian drone and missile attack that occurred overnight in Kiev, according to officials.

As Russian projectiles damaged and destroyed buildings in several of the city’s districts, powerful explosions rocked the city until early on Thursday morning, illuminating the sky and leaving behind columns of smoke.

Since Donald Trump met with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska earlier this month to discuss ending the Ukrainian conflict, the attack was the first significant combined Russian drone and missile attack to strike Kyiv.

According to preliminary information, Tymur Tkachenko, the head of Kyiv’s city military administration, a 14-year-old girl was one of the reported dead.

Directly struck by a five-story residential building in the city’s Darnytskyi district. Tkachenko said, “Everything is destroyed.”

He claimed that the Russian terrorist state was staging a massive attack in Kyiv tonight.

At least four people have been confirmed dead, according to the Kyiv Independent, and authorities anticipate an increase in casualties.

On Thursday, Ukrainian rescuers were working at the site of a building that had been hit by Russian drone and missile strikes. [Valentyn Ogirenko/Reuters]

A major highway in central Kyiv was strewn with shattered glass as a result of a second strike, and rescue teams were attempting to rescue people trapped beneath rubble from about 20 different affected areas.

Vitali Klitschko, mayor of Kiev, added that two children were also hurt and that it was a “massive attack” by Russia.

Officials provided a lengthy list of damaged buildings, including several high-rise apartment blocks, to news organizations, as well as photos and videos that were online that showed apartments burning and building smoke.

President Trump has so far tried to persuade Putin to end his conflict with Ukraine, and Moscow and Kyiv have traded accusations over a diplomatic impasse in an effort to put an end to the fighting.

Volodymyr Zelenskyy, the president of Ukraine, announced on Wednesday that his administration would hold a Friday meeting with US officials in New York.