Helen Mirren speaks out on return to ‘wonderful’ Thursday Murder Club for sequel

EXCLUSIVE: Dame Helen Mirren has opened up about her role in The Thursday Murder Club and her friendship with co-star Celia Imrie, as she walked the red carpet for the film’s premiere

The Thursday Murder Club hits cinemas on Friday 22nd August and lands on Netflix on Thursday 28th August.

Devotees of Richard Osman’s bestseller have been eagerly anticipating the big-screen adaptation, and chatting to Reach Plc on the red carpet, Dame Helen Mirren revealed her desire for a sequel, her favourite moment from filming and which character she’d fancy portraying if she wasn’t playing former spy Elizabeth.

Helen described working on the production as “wonderful” and revealed that close pal Celia Imrie had her in stitches on set with her portrayal of Joyce.

The distinguished actress continued, saying if she hadn’t been cast as Elizabeth, she’d have fancied being “Joyce, with the cake”.

Helen also discussed her thoughts on the transition from cinema to streaming, explaining: “Well it’s brilliant to be able to watch a movie in your home and stop for a cup of tea when you want to. But there’s nothing like watching a move with an audience. I saw Thursday Murder Club in New York with an audience of about 400 people and there was so much laughter and there’s nothing like sharing an experience with an audience.”

Dame Helen Mirren shared her hopes for another film(Image: NETFLIX)

So, might supporters anticipate a follow-up? Writer Richard has crafted three additional novels in The Thursday Murder Club collection, providing ample source material, reports the Express.

“We hope so, yes we’re hoping so,” Helen revealed to us. Should she make a comeback, Helen is keen for Naomi Ackie to return as PC Donna De Freitas. She said: “I’m really hoping Naomi comes back because she’s such an important part.”

Reflecting on her time filming the movie, Helen fondly recalled “drinking gin and tonics on the bus with my friend Celia Imrie” as a standout moment.

The Thursday Murder Club centres around a group of pals in a retirement home who spend their time solving murders for amusement, only to find themselves embroiled in a real-life case.

The film boasts an impressive cast with Helen and Celia playing Elizabeth and Joyce respectively, Ben Kingsley as ex-psychiatrist Ibrahim, and Pierce Brosnan as former union activist Ron.

The cast of the Thursday Murder Club were on the red carpet to celebrate the film’s release(Image: GETTY)

Other stars gracing the screen include Daniel Mays, Henry Llloyd-Hughes, Tom Ellis, Jonathan Pryce, David Tennant, Richard E. Grant and Ingrid Oliver.

Discussing the inspiration behind The Thursday Murder Club, Richard previously revealed to Tudum: “You just sit and chat with these people and they’ve lived these extraordinary lives. You hear these amazing stories and gossip and wisdom.”

You think, ‘These people are so overlooked. ‘ The idea that these people with their wisdom and their invisibility would be the perfect people to solve [a crime] is exactly where The Thursday Murder Club comes from.

Article continues below

Take these people who are underestimated but who have these incredible skills, put them together, and they can achieve anything. “

Terrorists Using Gold To Fund Operations, Says Defence Chief

General Christopher Musa, the head of the Chief of Defence Staff, has revealed that terrorists in Nigeria are increasingly using gold to finance their operations.

General Musa explained that terror financiers rely on intricate networks, including international connections, to quickly expose and prosecute them, in a guest appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today program on Thursday.

When questioned about these groups’ main funding sources, the defense chief said, “Gold.” They make an effort to distribute this money, which is why it is crucial for us to be able to follow these activities.

The procedure is in full swing. We cannot act from within because there are many legal issues, and some of them have funding from outside because of this.

READ MORE: How Troops Arrested Ansaru Terrorists, CDS Musa

General Musa further revealed that terror groups in the area employ individuals by offering them motorcycles and small jobs with the intention of depositing money into designated accounts every day.

The procedure is in full swing. We cannot act from within because there are many legal issues and some of them have funding from outside because of their international connections.

Katie Price breaks silence on Princess Andre ‘feud’ and challenges Peter Andre

Katie Price has spoken out following a reported feud with her daughter Princess Andre after she wasn’t at her 18th birthday party, which was filmed for Princess’ reality show

Katie Price has discussed her relationship with Princess Andre(Image: Getty Images)

Katie Price has shared how she really feels about Princess Andre after a reported feud between the pair. Katie said she was not invited to Princess’ 18th birthday – which was filmed for her new reality show.

In her podcast previously, Katie explained that she hadn’t been asked to go to the party. She said: “Everyone knows she’s doing this documentary – and I’m not in it. Certain people don’t think it’s good for Princess to be seen with me. Certain people that used to look after me … Princess was like ‘I’m having a party’. And I wasn’t invited because it was for ‘filming.'”

Following her comments, Princess addressed her alleged ‘feud’ with her mum during a conversation on her ITV2 reality show, where she said there had been no plans for both Katie and her ex Peter Andre to both be at the party.

Katie later added: “The reason is because Pete doesn’t want to be in the same room as me because I’m his ex. Well, we need to have some home truths here; when the kids get older and they get married is he still going to have the same attitude that only one parent can be there, because I disagree.”

Katie discussed Princess on her podcast with sister Sophie
Katie discussed Princess on her podcast with sister Sophie (Image: Instagram/ @katieprice)

Now Katie has opened up about the past few weeks with her daughter Princess. She said on a new episode of her podcast: “Princess has finally come back from her three week holiday. She was in Mexico for two weeks, come back for a few days, and then I was away when she came back and then she was in Cyprus for a week. I spent the weekend with her.

“We went horse riding … just chilled. I love it because as soon as she comes home, here, because obviously she stays at both houses, she’s always in my f***ing clothes. ‘Mum, can I have a tracksuit?’ I’m like ‘why don’t you put your own tracksuits on?’ ‘Because yours are more comfortable.’ She always nicks my stuff and she’s got her own stuff.”

Katie also revealed she had been shopping for stuff for Princess’ car as well as things for the kids as they head back to school. Later in her podcast, she explained

“I will say one thing, I don’t have to go on social media. The amount of times I go to see Junior, and go round his house and see him and Jasmine, can we do a picture just so people can see I’m round your house?” she said.

“I don’t do that. I don’t have to prove that to anyone. It’s like with Princess, I see her all the time. I don’t have to do all that picture taking,” as she revealed she had spent time filming a funny TikTok with her eldest daughter.

Peter and Katie were married and share two children
Peter and Katie were married and share two children(Image: Getty Images North America)

Her comments come after her ex Alex Reid released a video of her lounging on a sofa. In the video, Katie, who was bankrupted twice over debts totalling more than £3m, says that she is “enjoying counting” the pile of cash in front of her, saying “there’s loads here … I’m just sorting it out”. A representative for Katie added: “This is a video that was shared with Katie’s Trustee in Bankruptcy several months ago and Katie has fully complied with the Trustee’s investigations into the same.

Article continues below

“The cash featured did not belong to Katie and the property referred to was dealt with in the financial settlement proceedings arising out of Katie’s divorce from Peter Andre. Katie’s Trustee in Bankruptcy is aware of the property and has undoubtedly investigated whether the same ought to be comprised in the bankruptcy estate.”

One part of the clip saw Katie brand Peter’s second wife, Doctor Emily, and their two children “irrelevant”. A source told the Mirror of Peter’s reaction: “He’s so shocked that she would do this in front of their young child and saying his young children are irrelevant. It’s not about the money. How could a mother do that about young children?”

Can a ceasefire deal now be reached in Gaza?

Has ratified the most recent ceasefire proposal, and Israel launches additional military action.

Israeli airstrikes are escalating in Gaza City as diplomatic efforts get stronger.

Egypt and Qatar’s most recent proposals have been accepted by Hamas. Israel has not yet responded.

Can a ceasefire be reached as a result of growing international pressure?

Presenter: Adrian Finighan

Guests:

Former Israeli negotiator and US/Middle East Project president Daniel Levy

Omar Rahman is a Fellow at the Washington, DC, Middle East Council on Global Affairs.

Dani Dyer’s husband reveals star’s competitive side and Strictly star she needs beat

Dani Dyer’s husband Jarrod Bowen has opened up about his wife’s upcoming appearance on Strictly Come Dancing and rated her chances of winning the Glitterball trophy

Dani Dyer’s husband Jarrod Bowen breaks silence on her Strictly Come Dancing stint(Image: Instagram/danidyerxx)

Dani Dyer’s husband Jarrod Bowen has revealed how her training for Strictly Come Dancing is going and rated her chances of lifting the Glitterball trophy later this year.

The professional footballer, who married Dani in May, admits he knew about his spouse’s Strictly stint for a few months before it was officially announced and struggled to keep the secret under wraps.

West Ham striker Jarrod, who shares two children with the former Love Island star, teases that his wife has a competitive streak and reveals the one celebrity his partner needs to last longer than in the competition.

READ MORE: Strictly Come Dancing’s Alexis Warr ‘crying’ after co-star’s sweet gestureREAD MORE: Sam Faiers sparks huge backlash over ‘dangerous’ health advice about nephew’s surgery

(Image: Getty Images)

Dani’s place on the BBC show’s 2025 line-up was revealed on The One Show earlier this month, with Doctor Who actress Alex Kingston and retired footballer Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink unveiled alongside her.

Speaking about his wife’s new project on West Ham’s YouTube channel, Jarrod says: “It was something she said a couple months ago. It was in the pipeline. So, and then, you know, the rumours start coming out and I was under strict instructions: ‘Don’t tell anyone’. People were asking me and I was like, ‘I don’t know’. But I’m a bad liar as well.”

Showing his support for Dani, Jarrod pledges: “I’m sure my weekend’s after a game, it’ll be going over there and and watching. She’s already come back and said she had her first day not long ago.

“Um she’s like, ‘Oh, can we do the dances together?’ And I told you these hips, mate, they ain’t like them they like them professionals that can do it. So I was like, “You can have your dance and I’ll just come and watch.”

Asked if the aim is for Dani to get further in the competition than West Ham fan Tom Skinner, Jarrod admitted: “Yeah, she’s she’s always one of those that’s deep down she’s competitive. At start she’s like, ‘I just want to do it. I don’t want to go out in the first week and stuff’, but deep down she’ll be wanting to win it and I’ll be pushing her the whole way because I know that she’s got that drive.

BREAKING DANI DYER FOR STRICTLY

Quizzed on Dani’s dancing skills, Jarrod quipped: “I don’t know. I’ve only ever seen her after a few tequilas, so I am too sure. I don’t know. It’s not like I’m there going, you know, spinning her around over. I don’t It’s a different type of dance as well, you know.

“Got to be a do the tango in that. I’m struggling on that. I’m not doing that at home. So, I don’t know. I think she’ll be good though. I think when she puts her mind into it, she’ll uh Yeah, she’ll love it.”

Speaking from The One Show studio after her reveal, former Love Island winner Dani said: “It’s such a fun magical show – to be asked to do it is such an honour. I just can’t wait to be able to wear (the costumes) – it’s going to be so much fun.”

In July, the BBC announced that two “incredible” new professional dancers, US-born Alexis Warr and Australian dancer Julian Caillon, would be joining the show, which starts this autumn.

Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman are back to present with Craig Revel Horwood, Motsi Mabuse, Anton Du Beke and Shirley Ballas returning as judges.

Article continues below

Strictly will return to BBC One and BBC iPlayer for its new series this September.