Why NFL ‘unicorn’ is primed for London breakout

Reuters
  • 7 Comments

NFL 2025 season: Week seven

Just six games into his professional career, Travis Hunter has already established himself as an NFL “unicorn”.

No other rookie has played so much on both offence and defence for at least 30 years.

After being named college football’s top performer, Hunter made it clear before this year’s draft that he wants to keep being a full-time two-way player.

The Jacksonville Jaguars made a statement by trading up to select Hunter with the second overall pick and have given him the opportunity he desired, with general manager James Gladstone saying the 22-year-old could “alter the trajectory of the sport”.

So far his progress has been steady. Hunter has contributed to a 4-2 start for the Jaguars, although he has yet to truly showcase his playmaking ability on both sides of the ball.

    • 3 March
    • 11 August

How Jags hope to get Hunter more involved

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

Two-way players have previously been steered into one position in the NFL as it was felt playing both is unsustainable.

There is no blueprint for how to develop players like Hunter as no team has attempted it in the modern era, so managing his workload has been a work in progress for the Jaguars.

Their approach is constantly evolving, with head coach Liam Coen saying he and his staff were even discussing tweaks to Hunter’s schedule on the flight from Florida on Monday.

“Every day it’s a great challenge for us,” said Coen. “His position coaches, athletic trainers, media – everybody has to be involved in the process.

“When you’re working with a guy that just loves football, loves to work, loves to play, you really want to help people like that.

“I think he’s somebody who’ll continue to get better each week and it has been a fun challenge so far.”

Hunter has made 15 tackles and broken up two passes as a cornerback on defence, as well as making 20 catches for 197 yards as a wide receiver on offence.

Quarterback Trevor Lawrence has targeted only Brian Thomas Jr more often, with only Thomas and tight end Brenton Strange having more receiving yards, but the Jags have been designing more plays where Hunter would be Lawrence’s primary target.

Why quarterback chemistry is so important

Travis Hunter makes a catch for the Jacksonville Jaguars against the San Francisco 49ersGetty Images

Hunter’s biggest play so far saw him leap above two defenders to make a 44-yard catch in the week five win over the Kansas City Chiefs, and it was one which he and Lawrence had worked on multiple times after failing to connect in practice.

“There’s not many guys who are willing to do that after a hard practice, run eight 50-yard routes back-to-back until we get it right,” said Lawrence.

“He wanted to, he was the one pushing that. He’s a hard worker. That type of mindset from him is great for me as a quarterback.”

Their relationship is vital. Lawrence was the first overall draft pick in 2021 and has established himself as the Jags’ franchise quarterback, so the 26-year-old hopes to be throwing passes to Hunter “for a long time”.

“There’s a lot of conversations that go into each week, every gameplan, trying to get dialled in so that we are on the same page and have that chemistry,” said Lawrence. “That’s so important for a quarterback and wide receiver.

“I’m finding more ways to get him the ball. Sometimes we might not get him as many touches as we want, the game unfolds differently, but we’re consistently trying because he’s so special when he gets opportunities downfield or just catches the ball underneath.

    • 18 October 2021
    • 3 days ago

How Hunter’s snap count has adjusted

Across his first six games, Hunter has played 62.8% of the Jaguars’ offensive snaps and 38.8% of defensive snaps – just over half in total.

Deion Sanders also played as a cornerback and receiver, most notably during the 1996 season.

He was Hunter’s college coach at Colorado and Jackson State, and Sanders believes that the Jaguars are “not using him enough”.

“I’ve seen it every day for three straight years,” Sanders told the Kelce brothers’ New Heights podcast. “I know what he’s capable of, and I know how you’ve got to take care of him.”

However, NFL analyst Ryan Clark is among those who believe the Jags should develop Hunter as a cornerback first, then gradually as a receiver.

“He will be more impactful full-time on one side than moonlighting on both,” Clark wrote on X.

Hunter played more on defence in weeks two and three. His defensive snaps were then limited in week four because of a shoulder problem, and again in week five as fit-again veteran Montaric Brown’s snap count increased.

After getting married in May and becoming a father in August, a big year for Hunter off the field continued as he was baptised before last Sunday’s loss to Seattle.

“It means a lot,” he said after the game. “I’m becoming a better man, leaving my old flesh and becoming the new Travis.”

Asked on Wednesday what he hopes the ‘new Travis’ will be, he said: “Just respectful, kind, always loyal to my people. Being up front and straightforward, a family person.”

In terms of on the field, Hunter knows patience is key as he aims to register his first NFL touchdown or interception on Sunday.

Related topics

  • American Football
    • 3 days ago
    Nate Adkins celebrates a touchdown for the Denver Broncos against the New York Jets

More on this story

    • 16 August
    BBC Sport microphone and phone

Sainsbury’s ‘fabulous’ £45 jacket shoppers say is ‘great for autumn and winter’

The new coat has been dubbed “stylish” and “fabulous”, with shoppers keen to snap it up for autumn

Sainsbury’s shoppers are heaping praise on a “fabulous” jacket they’ve spotted online. The retail giant is well known for its on-trend and affordable fashion – and now there’s a new must-have in stock.

Customers are eager to snap up the Tan Contrast Collared Barn Jacket, which costs £45 and comes in a range of sizes, though it is selling out quickly. The Sainsbury’s jacket features long sleeves, a collar and front pockets.

The full product description reads: “Update your outerwear this season with our tan barn jacket. Designed in a durable fabric, it’s been made with a contrasting brown collar in a corduroy material.

“Finished with zip and popper fastenings. An easy-to-wear piece for autumn/winter outings.”

The Sainsbury’s jacket has achieved a 4.8 star rating online, accumulating numerous glowing reviews. Among them, one customer said: “Great jacket. Not one to buy from Tu but this purchase a great addition to my winter wardrobe.”

A second wrote: “Great fit. Cosy autumn jacket. This jacket is a great fit. Very comfortable. Definitely worth the money. Would recommend.”

A third happy review read: “Amazing buy. This is an amazing jacket for the price. Great quality and looks expensive. Very impressed and will definitely buy more TU clothing.”

However, some shoppers claimed the sizing of the jacket was on the bigger side, which is something to keep in mind when ordering online. A number of shoppers said sizing down in the jacket was ideal.

Despite this, others continued to praise the jacket. One shopper said: “Recently bought and delighted with it. Have had loads of compliments, everyone thought it was a designer jacket!”

Another wrote: “I have now returned but reordered in a size 12. This jacket is lovely and warm. It has lots of stylish features, including a zip plus popper fasteners. The pockets also have fasteners. With an adjustable inner cord it is going to a must wear this winter. Also a colour that will go with anything!”

Article continues below

Anderson, 43, to extend playing career into 2026

Getty Images
  • 244 Comments

England great James Anderson is set to extend his playing career past his 44th birthday by signing a contract extension to play for Lancashire in 2026.

Seamer Anderson, England’s all-time leading wicket-taker, agreed a year-long deal at Old Trafford for the 2025 season after retiring from international cricket in 2024.

He took 17 wickets in six County Championship matches, but his performances in the shortest form of the game were particularly impressive.

Playing T20 cricket for the first time in 10 years, Anderson took 20 wickets in Lancashire’s run to Blast finals day, form that earned him a deal with Manchester Originals in The Hundred – his first experience of franchise cricket.

Anderson also captained Lancashire in the County Championship, a role he could resume in 2026.

At the beginning of last season, Anderson suggested he could play three more years for Lancashire, which would take him to 2027 and the age of 45.

Anderson ended his legendary international career after the first Test against West Indies at Lord’s in 2024 after being told he was no longer part of England’s plans.

The pace bowler sits third on the all-time list of Test wicket-takers with 704, behind spinners Muttiah Muralitharan and Shane Warne.

In April it was announced Anderson will be knighted for services to cricket, an honour he is set to collect in the coming weeks.

In the aftermath of his international retirement Anderson served as bowling consultant for the England team, but stepped away from the role in the past summer to focus on playing for Lancashire.

Tim Southee stepped in, though the New Zealander is likely to only be available for the first Test of the upcoming Ashes series because of his own playing commitments.

Related topics

  • Lancashire
  • County Cricket
  • Cricket

Anderson to extend playing career past age of 44

Getty Images
  • 50 Comments

England great James Anderson is set to extend his playing career past the age of 44 by signing a contract extension to play for Lancashire in 2026.

Seamer Anderson, England’s all-time leading wicket-taker, agreed a year-long deal at Old Trafford for the 2025 season after retiring from international cricket in 2024.

He took 17 wickets in six County Championship matches, but his performances in the shortest form of the game were particularly impressive.

Playing T20 cricket for the first time in 10 years, Anderson took 20 wickets in Lancashire’s run to Blast finals day, form that earned him a deal with Manchester Originals in The Hundred – his first experience of franchise cricket.

Anderson also captained Lancashire in the County Championship, a role he could resume in 2026.

At the beginning of last season, Anderson suggested he could play three more years for Lancashire, which would take him to 2027 and the age of 45.

Anderson ended his legendary international career after the first Test against West Indies at Lord’s in 2023 after being told he was no longer part of England’s plans.

The pace bowler sits third on the all-time list of Test wicket-takers with 704, behind spinners Muttiah Muralitharan and Shane Warne.

In April it was announced Anderson will be knighted for services to cricket, an honour he is set to collect in the coming weeks.

In the aftermath of his international retirement Anderson served as bowling consultant for the England team, but stepped away from the role in the past summer to focus on playing for Lancashire.

Tim Southee stepped in, though the New Zealander is likely to only be available for the first Test of the upcoming Ashes series because of his own playing commitments.

Related topics

  • Lancashire
  • County Cricket
  • Cricket

Katie Price ‘rape hell’ as she names attacker 16 years after vowing not to tell police

Reality TV star and model Katie Price publicly named the famous man who allegedly raped her two decades ago on stage this week, after first talking about the experience in 2009

Model Katie Price publicly named the British celebrity she says allegedly raped her over 20 years ago during her ongoing UK theatre tour with Kerry Katona.

On stage at her An Evening with Katie Price and Kerry Katona show in Stockport earlier this week, the mum-of-five, 47, is said to have “blurted out” the identity of the famous man who allegedly attacked her two decades ago.

But while this is the first time Katie has named her alleged rapist, she has previously discussed the attack and shared why she never reported the man to the police.

In 2009, Katie wrote about being attacked by a “famous celebrity” in her column for a national magazine. Katie, who was 31 at the time, said she had no plans to make a formal complaint and would “absolutely never” name the man.

Following the column gaining national attention, Surrey Police released a statement. The force confirmed that they had recorded an incident but no allegation had been made and they did not plan to investigate unless Katie voluntarily came forward.

A spokesman said at the time: “Surrey Police treats all reports of sexual offences very seriously and investigates them thoroughly, encouraging anyone who may have been a victim to come forward and providing specialist officers to support them.

“Based on our enquiries and the lack of substantiated information – particularly around locations and dates of any allegations – we have recorded an incident, but due to its very historic nature we are dependent on Miss Price’s co-operation to formally record a crime and continue any investigation.”

Katie discussed the rape again in 2017, saying: “I was raped by a celebrity but no, I’ll never name him, I just don’t want the drama. I don’t even know if he knows that I’ve spoken about him, I doubt he does.”

In 2019, 55,259 rapes were reported across the country, but during the same period, there were just 1,659 rape prosecutions and 702 convictions.

Speaking to the Mirror in 2023, Jayne Butler, CEO for Rape Crisis, explained to the Mirror why many women don’t have faith in the police and current legal system when it comes to reporting cases of rape and sexual abuse.

“5 in 6 women who are raped don’t report it to the police, citing embarrassment, not thinking the police will be able to help, and feeling humiliated as reasons why,” she told us.

But it’s not just a lack of hope that reporting your assault will result in a conviction that puts some victims off speaking to authorities. RASA Merseyside, who work with victims of sexual violence to give them back the life they had, told us how “shame, guilt, fear of friends and family finding out and blaming them, losing friends, not being believed, losing phone, fear of medical exam, and so much more” also plays a part when decided not to report rape to the police.

“Imagine telling a complete stranger about the worst and most intimate thing that has ever happened to you. Imagine knowing that this complete stranger will not be there to believe you or to support you, but to ascertain if you are telling the truth. Imagine that first contact,” the organisation based in Bootle, Liverpool tells us when discussing why some rape victims don’t feel comfortable speaking to the police.

Article continues below

“None of us know how we would react until it happens to us but it is unlikely and unrealistic to expect that the first thing we would want to do is tell a stranger – and one who may simply see it as yet another case that day.”

*If you’ve been the victim of sexual assault, you can access help and resources via www.rapecrisis.org.uk or calling the national telephone helpline on 0808 802 9999