The US President has confirmed he has authorised the CIA to operate in Venezuela, sparking fears the US is planning a coup against the government of Nicolas Maduro.
Trump confirms covert CIA operations against Venezuela


The US President has confirmed he has authorised the CIA to operate in Venezuela, sparking fears the US is planning a coup against the government of Nicolas Maduro.

Men’s T20 World Cup Asia & East Asia-Pacific Qualifier, Oman
Japan 116-9 (20 overs): Miyauchi 45* (32); Haider 3-20
United Arab Emirates 118-2 (12.1 overs): Sharafu 46 (27), Waseem 42 (26)
UAE won by eight wickets
United Arab Emirates denied Japan and took the final place at next year’s men’s T20 World Cup with an eight-wicket victory in the qualifier in Oman.
Japan could have reached their first major tournament with a victory but UAE held them to 116-9 and then chased their target in 12.1 overs.
It means UAE join Oman and Nepal in progressing from the Asia and East Asia-Pacific qualifier to the World Cup held in India and Sri Lanka in February and March next year.
In addition to the two hosts getting automatic spots, England, Australia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, South Africa, United States and West Indies qualified courtesy of reaching the Super 8 stage of the 2024 edition held in the United States and West Indies.
Ireland, Pakistan and New Zealand qualified via the rankings while Canada, Italy, Netherlands, Namibia and Zimbabwe came through their regional qualifying tournaments.
The tournament schedule is expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
Japan beat Kuwait and Samoa earlier in their qualifying tournament which meant they would have progressed had they beaten UAE and overturned a net run-rate deficit.
They slumped to 58-8, however, with spinner Haider Ali taking 3-20, and only limped to their total thanks to 45 not out from Wataru Miyauchi.



The Chairman of the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO), Bayelsa State chapter, David West, has said that recent defections in the state are driven by personal interest and “stomach infrastructure,” not genuine political ideology.
Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, The Morning Brief, on Thursday, West said the claim that Bayelsa must align with the centre to develop is “a lazy excuse,” insisting that true development depends on the character of the state’s leadership, not political affiliation.
“From 1999 to date, Bayelsa has been a PDP state. Even when the APC came into power, what significant change has Bayelsa State gotten? So it’s immaterial whether you align with the centre or you’re in the opposition makes no meaning at all. The development of your state is purely on the character of the individual, the leader. If he is interested in developing the state, the state will be developed,” he said.
West described the ongoing political movement in the state as a reflection of “stomach infrastructure politics,” noting that politics remains the only thriving “industry” in Bayelsa.
“In Bayelsa State, with the kind of politics they play here, it’s purely stomach infrastructure politics. I’m emphatic about this, and I stand to be corrected, there is no other industry or any other business venture where the people of Bayelsa State will make money. Politics is the only industry, politics is the only business venture,” he stated.
According to him, the lack of economic alternatives has made political loyalty transactional.
He warned that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) may soon lose its relevance entirely.
“So, as a result of that, it’s all about stomach infrastructure. The PDP currently in Bayelsa State, I say this with all sense of humility and in all respect to the PDP, will go into extinction because virtually all the members of the PDP, both living and dead, will all move to the APC. They will all join the governor for the sake of stomach infrastructure,” West said.


The Bayelsa State Organising Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Coronation Tokpo, has described Governor Douye Diri’s resignation from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as a commendable and strategic decision.
Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, The Morning Brief, on Wednesday, Tokpo said Diri’s decision did not come as a surprise, noting that “the PDP is a sinking ship, and no one wants to commit suicide by staying in a ship that is sinking.”
According to him, the first reason for the governor’s move is the declining state of the PDP, while the second is the need for Bayelsa to align with the federal government for greater developmental benefits.
“The state has to be in sync with the centre because Bayelsa State is already benefiting significantly from President Tinubu’s administration. In the thinking of ordinary Bayelsans, it will do the state better if we link with the centre under the same party,” he said.
Tokpo explained that while the federal government has continued to deliver projects in opposition states, aligning with the ruling party would further accelerate development.
“The federal government awarded the second phase of the Nembe–Brass Road, and over ₦30 billion has been released for the construction of the roads and bridges that lead to Brass Island.
“We have also seen significant improvement on the East–West Road under President Bola Tinubu. It is obvious to every Bayelsan that if we link with the centre under the same party platform, Bayelsa State will benefit much more,” he said.
READ ALSO: Bayelsa Gov Douye Diri Dumps PDP
He added that the APC in the state was yet to receive formal communication from Governor Diri but expressed optimism that his defection would be finalized soon.
“The leadership of the party in the state has not received communication from the governor to join us. We are expecting that in the next few days, the communication will come, and we are willing and ready to receive him. We are certain he will join our party,” Tokpo stated.
His comments come in the wake of Diri’s resignation from the Peoples Democratic Party. The governor announced his decision at the executive chamber of the Bayelsa State Government House on Wednesday.
“After extensive consultations, today, October 15, 2025, I wish to notify you that, in keeping with extant protocols, I, Governor Douye Diri, do hereby resign my membership of the Peoples Democratic Party,” he declared, without disclosing his next political move.
He said his decision was for an obvious reason, but did not state the reason or the political party to which he will be moving.

Gaza City – The ceasefire between Israel and Hamas brought thousands of people back to their homes in Gaza City, to assess the damage, see what can be salvaged, and start to rebuild.
In Jabalia, Sheikh Radwan, Abu Iskandar and beyond, people returned to flattened neighbourhoods, and to the knowledge that, still among the rubble, some of the explosive robots that had caused it sat, silent and undetonated.
list of 3 itemsend of list
People aren’t sure where all the undetonated robots lurk, nor do they know what to do if they encounter one, adding to the anguish and uncertainty that clouds this homecoming.
The “robots” had become a common fear in northern Gaza since the Israeli army first used them on Jabalia refugee camp in May 2024.
Their deployment hit an “unprecedented pace” leading up to the October ceasefire, the Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor noted in a report on September 1, adding that they were used to destroy “about 300 residential units daily in Gaza City and Jabalia”.
The robots are armoured carriers that Israeli soldiers would load with explosives, then drag into place using armoured bulldozers.
Once the soldiers had retreated, they would remotely detonate the booby-trapped vehicle, destroying everything around it.
Not much is known about the payload – or if it was ever consistent – Gaza City Civil Defence spokesman Mahmoud Basal told Al Jazeera.
However, their destructive capacity was apparent, Bassal said, describing the robots’ “kill radius” which he said extended as far as 500 metres (550 yards).
The damage to infrastructure, he added, was “staggering”.
Last November, Sharif Shadi realised he had not yet learned all the sounds of war. The sounds of air attacks, artillery, and rockets were etched into his memory from countless Israeli wars on Gaza since childhood.
But during Israel’s brutal ground assault on northern Gaza, the 22-year-old from Jabalia refugee camp heard a new, more horrifying sound.
It was the sound of the robots.
Shortly after, the devices explode, swallowing entire neighbourhoods.
“The explosive robot enters a complete residential block … and moments later, everything is reduced into bits of rubble,” Shadi explains of the Israeli military’s latest weapon.
On that November morning, Shadi was in the street, going about the daunting daily quest of securing essentials for himself and his family of eight other members, when he saw a robot being dragged towards his neighbourhood by a D10 bulldozer.
“They entered the block, and I started running away.
“I ran at least 100 metres (110 yards), and suddenly found myself under rubble, the explosion was that strong. Those who were closer, nothing remained of them – not even remains or body parts.”
Days later, he lost a friend.
“My friend was unwell and needed to go to Kamal Adwan Hospital. I accompanied him, and on the way, we saw a robot coming in. In a moment of sheer panic and chaos, my friend and I ran in different directions.
“The blast was immense and rocked the earth beneath my feet. When I went back to that same spot where I had last seen my friend … I found no trace of him. His body was completely vapourised.”
According to Euro-Med’s report, these devices’ indiscriminate, widespread destruction puts them “under the category of prohibited arms, and their use in populated areas constitutes both a war crime and a crime against humanity”.
Neither the Israeli military nor the government have publically acknowledged the use of these weapons, although some Israeli media outlets have reported on their use.
The Israeli military has not responded to a request for comment from Al Jazeera.
The effect doesn’t end with the explosion, as Dr Mohammed Abu Afash, director of the Palestinian Medical Relief Society in Gaza, explains.
The “explosive robots” leave behind toxic vapours and gases, he says, “a powerful foul smell” that lingers and causes people serious respiratory problems.
“Repeated cases of suffocation and breathing difficulties have appeared, and citizens continue to suffer from these symptoms due to inhaling toxic gases believed to contain lead and dangerous chemicals,” he adds.
Um Ahmed al-Dreimli, who lives in Sabra in Gaza City, described the smell as “a mixture of gunpowder and burned metal that clung to our lungs, making our breathing difficult long after the explosion”.
The 50-year-old mother of three – her eldest is 10-year-old Ahmed – was with her family in her damaged childhood home when she heard neighbours’ screams from the street, alerting her to the danger.
The explosions came shortly after, with Israel giving no warning or time to flee.
The sound of the explosion was different, Um Ahmed said.
It had a heavy metallic rumble, not like “the sounds of hovering jets or drones, nor the screech of approaching missiles, which we’ve gotten used to … and it felt as if the ground was being pulled from under our feet”, she recalls.

Mohammed Abu Tamous from the Civil Defence and Ambulance media department has seen explosive robots multiple times during fieldwork.
“When planning to invade a specific area, the army uses these robots to level buildings and erase landmarks in preparation for advancing vehicles,” he adds.
He says they have been used across northern Gaza, including Jabalia camp, Beit Hanoon, Tal az-Zaatar, Beit Lahiya, Tuffah neighbourhood, Shujayea, Zeitoun, Sabra, Sheikh Radwan, Abu Iskandar, and Jabalia downtown.
There is no whistle of an incoming rocket or air raid siren – just the explosion, followed by huge plumes of white smoke.
“Air strikes on an apartment or building might affect two or three neighbouring houses, but the robot destroys a complete row of 10 adjacent houses,” Abu Tamous says.
He added that Israeli soldiers use these explosive robots in crowded residential areas that they have surrounded and cut off, so they can prevent ambulance and civil defence teams from entering to help people.
Even when rescue teams are allowed in, often the damage is so severe that they can no longer figure out landmarks or where streets begin or end.
During the January ceasefire, he added, the team found an unexploded robot in Tal el-Zaatar and was able to examine its contents.
“There was a yellow, paste-like substance in a container that we couldn’t identify, but it has stood out from all the explosives we’ve seen,” he says.
Now that people are returning to Gaza City, Abu Tamous is worried because he has seen unexploded robots, and he and his team can do very little about them.
“All we can do is tape off a perimeter and warn people not to approach, but there’s nothing else in our hands,” he said. “We do tell the specialised bomb disposal unit, but they would need more equipment to be brought into Gaza to deal with this.”

Freddie Flintoff has paid tribute to Ricky Hatton and spoken about the ‘guilt’ he feels over the late boxer’s death.
On Piers Morgan Uncensored, he gave an emotional interview and said: “There’s almost a guilt… How people didn’t know? And the one thing I found in recent years, over the past few years, it’s happened to more and more people.
“With Graham Thorpe in cricket who [was an] absolute great man, someone who is thought of so dearly by everyone who played with and everyone he’s coached. You just feel like, if only we would have known. But you know it’s terrible.”
He also added that Ricky’s death hit “quite close to home”, as they’ve known each other for years. “It’s quite close to home in a lot of ways. Ricky, one of the great men, you know, I met him years ago.
“We did a thing for Sky Sports and I went on the pads and he started hitting me and I was a fan as well… He’s charming, he’s funny, our careers run parallel with each other at the height, at the same time. I went to his fights… We had nights out in the Press Club in Manchester and we’ve sung karaoke together and I never knew all these things that he was struggling with until we sat down.”
Freddie added that when they started talking, Ricky was very honest about his mental health and the cricketeer could “relate” to that. “When we started talking, obviously, he was so honest about what he had been going through and what he felt. And then, as he was talking, I was, like, relating to it. I’ve felt like that, that’s what I’ve been like. Then it just turned into a chat about two blokes being really honest. I suppose that documentary changed and I wasn’t going to give as much away about myself but then felt obliged to actually if he’s doing this.”
“He’s this working class hero from Manchester who goes into the ring, he fights, all heart. He’s funny. You see him like doing stand up routines at press conferences and he feels like this. And then obviously what’s happened over the past two weeks, it’s been devastating. For obviously his friends, his family but anyone who has been in contact with Ricky.”
An inquest was opened into Ricky’s death opened with coroner Alison Mutch telling the court Hatton was found unresponsive in his bedroom by Mr Speak, who was due to accompany the fighter to Dubai the same day for a press conference to officially announce his comeback fight.

Police coroner’s officer Alison Catlow told the court Hatton lived alone and was last seen by his family on September 12, when he ‘appeared well’. Hatton did not show up to a scheduled event the following day before But Mr Speak found him “unresponsive” on Sunday, September 14.
A post-mortem examination was carried out and although the full results are not yet known, a provisional cause of death was given as ‘hanging’. A full inquest will take place on March 20.
Last week, thousands of mourners lined the streets for Ricky’s private memorial service. It was attended by Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher, Wayne Rooney, Tyson Fury and Freddie himself.
Following his death, his family gave an emotional statement that read: “Richard was so much more than a world champion. To us he was simply ‘Richard’, our son. A loving father, grandfather and brother, and a true friend to many. He had a heart as big as his smile and his kindness, humour and loyalty touched everyone who was lucky enough to know him.”
Watch Freddie’s full interview on Piers Morgan Uncensored, YouTube on today
If you’re struggling and need to talk, the Samaritans operate a free helpline open 24/7 on 116 123. Alternatively, you can email jo@samaritans.org or visit their site to find your local branch
Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs onTikTok,Snapchat,Instagram,Twitter,Facebook,YouTubeandThreads.