Meghan Markle raises eyebrows by flaunting her royal title after making ‘another dig’

Meghan Markle posted a new Instagram reel about her trip to summit in Washington, DC, where it was clocked she showed off her royal title yet again in yet another way

Meghan Markle has raised eyebrows after a hidden detail in her latest Instagram post points to her royal title.

In her brand new social media post, Meghan shared a highlights reel of her time in Washington DC, where she was a speaker at Fortune’s Most Powerful Women Summit.

The clip shows the duchess being driven past the US capital’s most recognisable sights before she arrives at the venue for her appearance and talks on stage before catching a plane back to California.

Early in the clip as Meghan arrives to speak at the summit, a suitcase can be seen pulled through a hotel, with a bag placed on top, bearing the initials ‘DS’ – thought to relate to her royal title Duchess of Sussex.

READ MORE: Prince William reveals his ‘happy place’ in heartfelt admission on past ‘glory days’READ MORE: Meghan Markle breaks silence on Netflix ‘downgrade’ and compares herself to Obamas

Earlier this year, Meghan became embroiled in controversy in a row over using her HRH title, which appears to go against an agreement with the late Queen.

Both Meghan and Prince Harry gave up their HRH (His/Her Royal Highness) titles when they stepped down as senior royals in March 2020. But in a podcast interview, a picture is shown of a gift card Meghan sent to a friend that read: “with the compliments of HRH The Duchess of Sussex”.

The bag appearing to show Meghan’s monogram comes after she appeared to take yet another subtle swipe during her appearance at the summit, when she was quizzed on her business plans.

Since they sensationally stepped back from royal life, the Sussexes have signed lucrative deals with the likes of Netflix, while Meghan has launched her As Ever brand, fronted a podcast and had her own lifestyle show.

But at the conference, the Duchess said five years ago, which ties in with her and Harry’s move to the US, “it was a very different situation” – and in what could be seen as a jab at her former life, she added her only plans were to “nest and heal”.

She told Fortune editor-in-chief Alyson Shontell: “You know, Archie was so little, and I had just got pregnant with Lili around that same time, so we were nesting – nesting and healing.

“And also, I don’t know, I had the bandwidth at that time to think about what the big picture dream was. There was no plan.

“It was just, let’s get through these next couple of years, create community, which was always so important to both of us in our new environment.”

“I was probably in Birkenstocks and sweats like the rest of us, especially during Covid, or just barefoot at home, but I was making a lot of jam, so it ended up becoming the thing that really was my passion project.”

Meghan’s appearance at the summit yesterday came at a busy time for the Duchess. She travelled solo to Paris for the Balenciaga show on October 4, ahead of a string of appearances last week with the Duke of Sussex in New York.

And Meghan also admitted that she flew home to California from Europe for just one day before heading to New York, because she needed to see her “babies”.

Meghan said she made a 6,000-mile dash home for a brief reunion with Prince Archie, six, and Princess Lilibet, four, instead of heading straight to the Big Apple.

Article continues below

FIFA World Cup 2026: What to know about Trump’s threat to move Boston games

United States President Donald Trump has threatened to relocate FIFA World Cup 2026 matches set to be played next year in suburban Boston, after suggesting that parts of the city had been “taken over” by unrest.

Foxborough, Massachusetts, home to the NFL’s New England Patriots and about 48km (30 miles) from Boston, is set to stage matches as the US cohosts the 2026 World Cup with Mexico and Canada. Trump was asked about Boston’s Mayor Michelle Wu, a Democrat whom he called “intelligent” but “radical left”.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

“We could take them away,” Trump said of the World Cup games. “I love the people of Boston, and I know the games are sold out. But your mayor is not good.”

Trump has previously made similar threats against San Francisco and Seattle. He repeated his Boston threats on Wednesday.

Can Trump take away the FIFA World Cup 2026 games?

Trump has previously suggested he could declare cities “not safe” for the 104-game football tournament and alter a detailed hosting plan that FIFA confirmed in 2022. It includes games at NFL stadiums near New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

World Cup host sites aren’t up to Trump. The 11 US cities – plus three in Mexico and two in Canada – are contracted with FIFA, which would face significant logistical and legal issues to make changes in the eight months before the June 11 kickoff.

“It’s FIFA’s tournament, FIFA’s jurisdiction, FIFA makes those decisions,” the football body’s vice president Victor Montagliani said earlier this month at a sports business conference in London.

The organisation seemed to soften its stance somewhat on Wednesday, saying in a statement that “safety and security are the top priorities at all FIFA events worldwide” and noting that precautions are “obviously the governments’ responsibility, and they decide what is in the best interest for public safety”.

“We hope every one of our 16 Host Cities will be ready to successfully host and fulfil all necessary requirements,” the FIFA statement added.

Trump has insisted that “if somebody is doing a bad job, and if I feel there’s unsafe conditions, I would call Gianni – the head of FIFA who’s phenomenal – and I would say, ‘Let’s move into another location’, and they would do that.”

The president meant FIFA head Gianni Infantino, a close ally. Trump said Infantino “wouldn’t love to do it, but he’d do it very easily”.

Speaking on a local podcast on Wednesday, Wu questioned how Trump could take away the games with less than a year to go. She said most everything is already “locked down by contract” so no single person “even if they live in the White House currently can undo it”.

“There’s no ability to take away the World Cup games,” Wu said. “There’s no real threat when it comes to saying cities are so unsafe that they can’t host the games.”

The FIFA World Cup 2026 games in Boston

Among the seven matches that will be played at Gillette Stadium in the Boston suburb of Foxborough will be five group stage matches, one match in the round of 32, and a quarterfinal match on July 9, 2026. The news of so many big games was a surprise to local organisers.

“The later in the tournament, the more eyeballs,” said Mike Loynd, head of Boston’s World Cup organising committee, when the schedule was announced last year. “For us, it’s just a matter of excitement. … For us, it’s a perfect schedule. I don’t think FIFA could have done a better job.”

The tournament is expected to bring $1.1bn in local economic impact, create over 5,000 jobs, and generate more than $60m of tax revenue throughout the region, according to organisers. They also expect that more than two million visitors will come to New England throughout the tournament’s 39-day span.

What is Robert Kraft’s connection with Trump?

Gillette Stadium is operated by Robert Kraft, who owns the NFL’s New England Patriots and Major League Soccer’s New England Revolution.

Kraft served as honorary chair of the United Bid Committee to help bring the World Cup back to the US. In a 2024 interview on the podcast The Breakfast Club, he described himself as a “social friend” of Trump beginning in the 1990s shortly after he purchased the Patriots. He said in that interview that the only donation he’d ever made to Trump was a “strong donation to his inauguration” following his 2016 election.

But Kraft also gifted the president a diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring during his first term after the Patriots won the NFL’s championship to cap the 2016 season. Sitting presidents typically receive gifts from sports teams during celebratory White House visits — a personalised jersey is standard — but Kraft gave Trump a ring as well, the team confirmed at the time.

Kraft decided after the team’s April 2017 visit to have a ring made for Trump so he would have something special to display in his presidential library, the team said. But Kraft said in that same 2024 Breakfast Club interview that he hadn’t spoken to Trump since the January 6, 2021 attack by Trump supporters on the US Capitol.

Trump takes aim at Boston

Boston and its mayor have been frequent targets of the Trump administration for much of the year.

Trump and his allies have focused their attacks on the city’s so-called sanctuary city polices and how much police should support deportations. In September, the Trump administration sued the city, arguing its sanctuary city policies are illegal under federal law and the city’s refusal to cooperate with immigration authorities has resulted in the release of dangerous criminals who should be deported.

The Trump administration has already deployed US National Guard troops to Washington and Memphis, and efforts to do so in Chicago and Portland, Oregon, have sparked legal fights. Democratic and Republican leaders across Massachusetts have pushed back against the National Guard deployment in Boston, and Wu, who is running unopposed for re-election, often cites the city’s historical low crime rates.

BBC hit back at Gregg Wallace’s harassment claim and say he’s not entitled to damages

The BBC has said Gregg Wallace is not “entitled to any damages” in response to his High Court claim alleging that the broadcaster and one of its subsidiaries caused him “distress and harassment”.

Last week it was revealed Wallace, who was sacked from BBC’s MasterChef earlier this year, is claiming up to £10,000 in damages from BBC and BBC Studios Distribution following his axe from the show. The former TV chef has claimed they allegedly caused him “distress and harassment” by failing to disclose to him his personal data.

He was dismissed from the show following an independent investigation into historical allegations of misconduct. The report found 45 allegations of misconduct were substantiated, including inappropriate language and humour.

In its defence filed at the High Court, Jason Pobjoy KC, for the BBC, said: “It is denied that the claimant has suffered any distress or harassment as a result of the responses of the BBC.”

He continued, according to PA: “It is denied that the claimant is entitled to any damages, interest or other relief, whether as pleaded or otherwise.”

The broadcast also denied that Mr Wallace has “suffered any distress or harassment” as a result of its responses. While documents also allege Wallace failed to give the BBC prior notice of his intention to file legal proceedings.

**This is a breaking showbiz news story. Join The Mirror’s ****WhatsApp Community ****or follow us on **Google News**, **Flipboard**, Apple News, **TikTok**, **Snapchat**, **Instagram**, **Twitter**, **Facebook**, **YouTube** and **Threads** – or visit The Mirror homepage**.