Archive August 27, 2025

Brazil mulls legal challenges to tariffs as impacts weigh on US consumers

Brazilian officials are considering filing a lawsuit against Donald Trump’s stringent tariffs.

Brazilian finance minister Fernando Haddad announced to UOL on Wednesday that Brazil may file a legal challenge to the US government’s decision to impose tariffs on Brazilian goods this month.

Haddad said, “We will file a lawsuit if necessary.”

Brazil won’t participate in lobbying efforts, he added.

Trump cited trade practices that he claimed were unfair as the causes of the tariff rate as well as what he called a “witch-hunt” against former Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, who is currently on trial for plotting a coup.

Brazil has criticized the tariffs and said it is “indignant” that it has persistent trade deficits with the US.

strains in the industry

Haddad’s remarks come as tariffs have already affected a number of goods and businesses that US consumers depend on daily.

Under the new tariffs, coffee prices, which were already rising as a result of droughts, are expected to rise even more.

According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, coffee costs have increased by 14.5 percent from last year.

Brazil supplies about 35% of the US’s unroasted coffee. According to its earnings report released on Wednesday, major customers, including owner of Folgers JM Smucker, reported a 22% decline in profits from its coffee business.

Coffee prices were projected to increase by 20% by April according to the Ohio-based company, which purchases 225 million kilogrammes (500 million pounds) of coffee annually, mostly from Brazil and Vietnam.

JM Smucker’s stock is falling on Wall Street. It was down more than 5% from the opening of the market on Wednesday at 1 p.m. (15:00 GMT).

Brazil also supplies ground beef, which is a significant source of imports for the US. The most recent consumer price index, which showed beef prices rising 1.5% from last month, already is already putting the strain on consumers ahead of the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend.

Brazilian Beef Exporters Association president Robert Perosa previously warned that if Trump’s tariffs are implemented, US exports would continue to be unsustainable.

threats to reserve currency

Haddad noted that today’s world leaders are unsure about the US and what the future may hold.

The US dollar will remain a reserve currency for many years, according to the finance minister, unless Washington “keeps making mistakes.”

The US dollar is so deeply ingrained in the global financial system that it would take decades to break, and there are no viable contenders to its status, according to Al Jazeera’s report.

Trump knocked out but Moody, 18, reaches quarters

Images courtesy of Getty

Stan Moody, a teenager, made the final eight of Judd Trump’s Wuhan Open quarter-finals for the first time on tour, despite his disappointment.

Gary Wilson, a fellow Englishman, defeated Trump 5-4 to claim the 2023 title at the Asian competition.

Wilson won the matchup with Scotland’s John Higgins, who won 5-1 over Tom Ford, after the former world champion made three 50-plus breaks but could never pull more than one frame ahead.

Moody, an 18-year-old Halifax-based promising junior, won the match 55-0 over fellow Englishman Barry Hawkins with a top break of 108. He claimed it was his best career victory.

“It was in the zone,” I said. I simply potted everything, according to Moody, who is ranked 61st in the world, according to the World Snooker website.

He will face China’s defending champion Xiao Guodong, who had a 136-point lead before beating Englishman Matthew Selt 5-2 in the final 16.

After winning a tussle between former world champions Mark Williams and Zhang Anda, the 50-year-old Welshman defeated Mark Selby 5-3 to reach the 118th ranking event quarter-final of his career.

related subjects

  • Snooker

UN warns Gaza famine expanding as aid groups decry Israeli siege

As a result of Israel’s siege and bombardment, children in Gaza are now dying from hunger, according to UN officials and aid organizations.

Officials told the UN Security Council on Wednesday that famine and widespread hunger in the besieged region were “engineered” and “man-made” catastrophes in an astute address.

By the end of September, the UN’s deputy humanitarian chief, Joyce Msuya, reported to the council that famine has been confirmed in the north-central Gaza governorate, which includes Gaza City. It is anticipated to have already spread to Deir el-Balah and Khan Younis.

According to Msuya, “more than half a million people are currently facing starvation, destitution, and death.” That number could reach 640, 000 by the end of September. No one in Gaza has been spared from hunger in the least.

At least 132, 000 children under the age of five are at risk of acute malnutrition, with more than 43, 000 of them anticipated to have life-threatening conditions in the upcoming months, according to her.

According to Msuya, “this famine is not the result of drought or some other natural disaster.” It is a “created catastrophe” that has resulted from a conflict that has resulted in numerous civilian casualties, injuries, destruction, and forced displacement.

The health ministry in Gaza announced earlier on Wednesday that there had been two children’s deaths “due to famine and malnutrition” in the past 24 hours.

In Gaza, there have been 313 hunger-related deaths throughout the war, including 119 children.

An “engineered famine”

Israel, a famine monitoring system supported by non-profits and UN agencies, requested on Wednesday that Israel retract its conclusions regarding Gaza.

Director General of the Israeli Foreign Ministry, Eden Bar Tal, described last week’s report as “deeply flawed, unprofessional, and gravely departing from the standards expected from an international body given given such a serious responsibility.”

However, the UN Security Council’s entire membership, with the exception of the US, backed the IPC and its work in a joint statement released on Wednesday.

Inger Ashing, the council’s chief executive, also criticized the world for complicity through inaction in her own agonizing address.

“This is the Gaza famine,” the statement read. a famine that was engineered. She claimed that it was a man-made famine. “Gaza children are routinely starved to death.” In its purest form, this is starvation as a war strategy.

Ashing referred to clinics that are “packed with malnourished children” who have since ceased speaking. Children lack the capacity to speak up or even cry in agony. They lay there suffocating, literally “wasting away” them.

She described how children’s drawings in Save the Children’s support centers in Gaza have changed from depicting happy endings to simple feces and death.

Children would increasingly tell us they wanted food or bread once the total siege started in March. More and more children have said they wish to be dead in recent weeks, she said.

I wish my mother was there, the child said. There is food, water, and love in heaven.

Attacks continue.

Hospitals in Gaza reported new casualties from Israeli strikes as famine warnings grew at the UN.

A drone strike on tents in southern Gaza’s Khan Younis overnight claimed the lives of three people, including a woman and a child, and injured 21 others. At least six more people were killed in city-related strikes, according to Nasser Hospital.

At least 12 people were killed by Israeli strikes near the controversial Israeli-backed GHF, according to medical personnel on Wednesday. In the north of Gaza, four of the victims perished while awaiting the lackadaisical food packages.

Ultimately, according to health sources, Israeli forces have killed 51 Palestinians since dawn on Wednesday.

In its war against Gaza, Israel has so far killed at least 62 Palestinians and 895 of them. In Israel, on October 7, 2023, 139 people were killed, and more than 200 were taken prisoner.

Israeli forces continue to close in on Gaza City by launching overwhelming offensives against the city, leveling entire residential blocks with tanks and warplanes.

On Tuesday, Israel distributed leaflets containing forced evacuation orders for residents of the south-enclave on as-Saftawi and al-Jalaa Street.

London’s Burning’s John Alford alleged victim had ‘mental breakdown’, court hears

John Alford, a London actor, is accused of sexual assault and assault by penetration on two counts, including one involving a 14-year-old girl and two more involving a 15-year-old.

London’s Burning’s John Alford victim had ‘mental breakdown’, court hears(Image: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire)

A 15-year-old girl claimed that she “felt absolutely sick” and that she had an affair after being sexually assaulted by former London Burning actor John Alford. The 53-year-old is accused of sexual assault and assault by penetration on April 9th, 2022, along with four counts of sexual activity committed with a 14-year-old girl and two additional counts involving a 15-year-old.

After a night out with friends at a pub, the defendant, who is alleged to be John Shannon, is accused of sexually assaulting both girls while both girls are intoxicated. A third girl, who was close to the alleged victims, is said to have committed all of the crimes.

The 15-year-old girl’s police interview, which was conducted three days after the alleged incidents occurred, was captured on video for the jurors in his trial at St Albans Crown Court on Wednesday.

John Alford
A 15-year-old girl said she ‘felt absolutely sick’ and had a breakdown after former John Alford sexually assaulted her(Image: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire)

Former Grange Hill actor Alford previously testified to the court that he left the property for a short while before returning with a bottle of vodka, cigarettes, and food.

The girl claimed that the defendant had purchased the alcohol for them without knowing that he had done so. Alford and the other girl continued to enter and leave the room as soon as they began to become extremely inebriated, she said.

The 14-year-old girl was alleged to have had sexual relations with Alford in the home’s garden and a downstairs toilet. When asked about her own alleged incident, which she claimed occurred at around 8am, the 15-year-old girl responded, “We were all just like dozing off. When did John begin to touch me at that point?

John Alford
John is known for London’s Burning(Image: EXPRESS NEWSPAPERS)

The girl responded, “Sick. I was utterly ill. I wouldn’t say that to anyone.

She claimed that she went to the bathroom the day after being dropped off at the other complainant’s because she was “stressing out” before the girls “spoke about everything that happened” and left right away.

The girls’ previous statements to the court regarding the alleged assaults were due to their drinking “a fair amount of vodka.”

The complainant said she decided to speak out about the incidents whilst visiting a different friend’s home on April 11. “I had a mental breakdown to my best mate’s mum in the garden, and she called my mum,” she said. “(I was) crying, screaming, very sad.”

The girl responded, “He came across really nice (and) friendly” when asked how Alford was acting on the night of the incident. He had no sexual orientation whatsoever.

He was simply overly kind and warm. He merely desired to be a child. The younger alleged victim, who is now 18 years old, was teary-eyed as she testified on Wednesday in front of a busy public gallery.

She claimed to the jurors that she and the second alleged victim were close friends and that they had invited a third girl their age to her Hertfordshire home to spend the evening together and planned to spend the night.

The woman claimed that the second incident in the downstairs bathroom lasted five minutes while the first one between Alford and the woman allegedly occurred in the garden for no longer than ten minutes.

The witness responded, “I disagree,” when Houzla Rawat, a defender for Alford, claimed that she was being “physically friendly” toward the defendant throughout the evening.

The alleged victim also refrained from following Alford into the garden after smoking a cigar. When asked by prosecutor Julie Whitby why she listened to Alford’s comments in the bathroom and garden when she was not interested in speaking with him, the witness responded, “Most children, if an adult is telling you to do something, you’ll do it… especially if you’re drunk or impaired. “

One of the two girls “keeps on trying to kiss me,” Alford claimed in a statement to the police, and she had informed him that she was 17 years old. He continued, “No point did I touch her in any sexual way.”

According to Alford, the two alleged victims were “trying to extort money from him and they were trying to trick him,” but no evidence was found on either the girls’ or the defendant’s phones during a search, according to the court.

All the charges against Alford, a resident of Holloway, north London, are disputed.

Continue reading the article.

The trial is advancing.

Follow Mirror Celebs on Threads, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Instagram, and TikTok.

READ MORE: Aftershave that ‘turns heads’ and ‘smells more expensive than it is’ now 15% offREAD MORE: Top Tech: Virgin Media offers two months free with £125 discount – but it ends in hours

Wafer ‘very close’ to Ireland return after knee injury

Inpho

Aoife Wafer, the star back rower, is “very close” to recovering from a knee injury, according to Ireland assistant coach Alex Codling.

After having knee surgery last month, Ireland’s Women’s Six Nations player of the year did not make it to their opening World Cup match against Japan.

Wafer spent the last week in Dublin to continue her rehab, and Codling made no mention of Wafer’s potential clash with Spain in Northampton on Sunday (12:00 BST), despite the 22-year-old having trained with the squad since arriving in England.

She’s working extremely hard, returning, and coming very close, Codling said.

Codling continued, “I’m not working directly with her, but she joined in with the lineouts, which indicates that she’s on track and going really well.”

After the co-captain missed a portion of Wednesday’s training session, Codling added that Ireland are “looking after” Edel McMahon.

McMahon managed 75 minutes of the win over Japan despite missing both warm-up games.

We are managing a lot of players, and she’s obviously been out for a while, so it’s important for us as a coaching group, said Codling.

We’re looking after her and making sure she’s fit and ready because she was exceptional over the weekend.

Spain lost to New Zealand, who are currently defending their World Cup title, 54-8, but won the 2021 World Cup qualifier against Ireland to close the gap.

Spain is eighth in the world, eight places behind Ireland, but Codling claims that “a piece of paper has never won games.”

“We treat everyone the same, for a variety of reasons,” I believe. They will undoubtedly challenge us as a team.

related subjects

  • Irish Rugby
  • Northern Ireland is a sport
  • Rugby Union

Wafer ‘very close’ to Ireland return – Codling

Inpho

Aoife Wafer, the star back rower, is “very close” to recovering from a knee injury, according to Ireland assistant coach Alex Codling.

After having knee surgery last month, Ireland’s Women’s Six Nations player of the year did not make it to their opening World Cup match against Japan.

Wafer spent the last week in Dublin to continue her rehab, and Codling made no mention of Wafer’s potential clash with Spain in Northampton on Sunday (12:00 BST), despite the 22-year-old having trained with the squad since arriving in England.

She’s working extremely hard, returning, and coming very close, Codling said.

Codling continued, “I’m not working directly with her, but she joined in with the lineouts, which indicates that she’s on track and going really well.”

After the co-captain missed a portion of Wednesday’s training session, Codling added that Ireland are “looking after” Edel McMahon.

McMahon managed 75 minutes of the win over Japan despite missing both warm-up games.

We are managing a lot of players, and she’s obviously been out for a while, so it’s important for us as a coaching group, said Codling.

We’re looking after her and making sure she’s fit and ready because she was exceptional over the weekend.

Spain lost to New Zealand, who are currently defending their World Cup title, 54-8, but won the 2021 World Cup qualifier against Ireland to close the gap.

Spain is eighth in the world, eight places behind Ireland, but Codling claims that “a piece of paper has never won games.”

“We treat everyone the same, for a variety of reasons,” I believe. They will undoubtedly challenge us as a team.

related subjects

  • Irish Rugby
  • Northern Ireland is a sport
  • Rugby Union