Archive May 30, 2025

From students to tech: How US-China ties are sliding despite tariff truce

The latest step in escalating tensions between the world’s two largest economies is US Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s salvo against Chinese students, promising to “aggressively revoke” their visas.

Despite a temporary tariff truce reached earlier this month, disagreements between Washington and Beijing persist. Recent disputes relate to higher education, artificial intelligence (AI) chips, and rare earth minerals.

Despite diplomatic efforts, China and the United States’ relations continue to worsen.

What tariffs did the US and China reach a deal on?

After Trump’s administration increased tariffs on Chinese goods earlier this year to 145 percent, with cumulative US duties on some Chinese goods reaching a staggering 245 percent, a US-China trade conflict developed. China retaliated by imposing own 125 percent tariffs on US goods.

After two days of trade talks in Geneva, a deal that was reached on May 12 resulted in a 90-day reduction in tariffs on both sides, with negotiators hoping to reach a longer-term agreement. Beijing has a 10% levy on US products while the US has for the time being a 30% tariff on all of its Chinese goods.

However, it appears that Washington and Beijing have only engaged in limited conversation in the weeks following the temporary reprieve.

US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping may need to be called back on Thursday, according to US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, who told Fox News. Trade talks between the US and China are “a little stalled,” Bessent said.

In the interim, the Trump administration has placed new, stringent restrictions on Chinese university students’ visas and instructed US businesses to stop selling their advanced chip software to Chinese companies.

Why are Chinese students being targeted by the US?

Rubio made the announcement on Wednesday that the US would “aggressively revoke” Chinese student visas. He also made a pledge to increase the scrutiny of Chinese and Hong Kong new visa applicants.

The Trump administration’s decision to deport people and revoke student visas is a part of its broad-based efforts to advance its hardline immigration policy.

China is the second-largest country of origin for foreign students studying in the US, behind India. In the US during the academic year 2023-2024, there were more than 270, 000 Chinese students overall, accounting for roughly a quarter of all foreign students.

The decision to revoke visas was criticized by China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who claimed it had “damaged” Chinese students’ rights. According to Mao Ning, a spokesman for the US, “the US has unreasonably suspended Chinese students’ visas under the pretext of ideology and national rights.”

On May 22, the Trump administration ordered Harvard University to stop accepting international students, accusing the school of “coordination with the Chinese Communist Party.” A US federal judge has since blocked that action.

The majority of foreign students at Harvard, or almost 1,300, are Chinese, and many senior officials, including current leader Xi Jinping, have sent their kids there as well.

How are Chinese semiconductors being targeted by the US?

The US Commerce Department issued a warning to American companies on May 13 that Huawei’s Ascend AI semiconductor chips were likely developed or produced in violation of US export controls, shortly after the talks in Geneva. &nbsp,

The Trump administration’s latest effort to stymie China’s ability to create cutting-edge AI chips was the latest. The US and China have long been at odds with the tiny semiconductors that power AI systems.

A representative for China’s Commerce Ministry refrained from criticizing the guidance last week, accusing Washington of “undermining” the Geneva consensus and calling the measures “typical unilateral bullying and protectionism.”

The US government then stepped up the conflict on May 28 by enforcing a law mandating US companies that sell their products and services to Chinese companies, according to The Financial Times.

The US Commerce Department issued letters to companies that manufacture design automation software, including Cadence, Synopsys, and Siemens EDA, to advise them to stop using their technology in China.

Why are Chinese semiconductors being targeted by the US?

For more than ten years, the US has placed stricter restrictions on semiconductor exports, arguing that China has improved military hardware and software through US computer chips.

Chinese government officials and business leaders refute this and claim that the US is attempting to halt China’s growth.

Trump forbade China’s Huawei from using cutting-edge US circuit boards in his first term as president.

Huawei is seen as a market leader for US semiconductor company Nvidia, which produces its own-brand “Ascend” AI chips under the name of “Ascend.” Washington imposed a ban on Nvidia’s AI chips’ exports to China in April.

However, Jensen Huang, the CEO of Nvidia, recently warned that export controls had largely failed in China’s AI technology.

How might US policies impact China?

Supply shortages for the aerospace equipment required for China’s commercial aircraft, the C919, a key initiative in China’s effort to become economically and environmentally self-sufficient, will be limited by the sales suspension of semiconductors.

Former CIA China analyst Christopher Johnson claimed that the new export restrictions this week “underlined the innate fragility of the Geneva agreement.”

The risk of a ceasefire breaking even within the 90-day pause is omnipresent, he added. “With both sides wanting to keep and continue demonstrating the potency of their respective chokehold capabilities, we must keep trying.”

Will China stifle exports of rare earth minerals?

According to US officials, China should ease its export restrictions on rare earth elements as a result of the Geneva discussions. However, that hasn’t shown much to the contrary so far.

A wide range of products are produced using rare earth minerals, which are a group of precious minerals that are needed for the defense, healthcare, and technology industries.

The production of capacitors, which are electrical components that power AI servers and smartphones, is also a key priority for rare earth metals like scandium and yttrium.

In April, China implemented export controls in response to Trump’s “Liberation Day” tariffs, which sparked concern among US businesses.

For instance, Ford temporarily shut down a factory in Chicago last week because one of its suppliers ran out of a specialized rare earth magnet.

These high-tech magnets are used in parts like the brake and steering systems, power seats, and fuel injectors in most new cars, especially elevate vehicles (cars that have robotic technology that allow them to “climb” over obstacles).

Women are ‘worthy’ but all-male French Open night sessions continue

JavaScript must be enabled in your browser to play this video.

Amelie Mauresmo, the director of the French Open tournament, has refuted claims that the tournament’s night session’s lack of women’s matches suggests that they are not “worthy” of the position.

All six of Roland Garros’ initial six-night sessions were men’s singles matches.

Ons Jabeur, a two-time Wimbledon champion, stated in a press conference earlier this week that the decision has an impact on the development of women’s sport.

No women’s players, according to Mauresmo, a former WTA world number one, have directly complained to her about the situation.

When questioned if she understood that some women didn’t feel “not worthy” of their matches, Mauresmo responded, “That’s not what we’re saying. Right there, I have to stop you.

The conditions have not changed for having one singular match in the evening, as I have always said and I will continue to say, for me.

Paris St-Germain will face Inter Milan in the Champions League final on Saturday night in Munich.

The location was not decided prior to Mauresmo’s news conference on Friday, but it was later revealed that Novak Djokovic’s match against Filip Misolic, who is also a 24-time major champion, will take place.

She claimed that, “The Champions League final won’t change us much.”

“We’re attempting to make the most of the tournament,” he said. Although we are organizing our own event, we are very pleased for PSG.

We want to match the 15 000 people who will be present, so we want to make sure they are the best.

Later on Friday, Jabeur wrote in a passionate post on social media that “honoring one side of the sport shouldn’t mean ignoring the other.”

Your browser won’t allow you to view this X post. Try using a different browser or enabling Javascript. On X, you can find original content.The BBC disclaims all liability for external website content.
Ons Jabeur’s Skip X post

Allow X content, please?

This article contains X’s content. Before anything is loaded, we ask for your consent because they might be using cookies and other technologies. Before accepting, you might want to review X’s cookie and privacy policies. Choose “accept and continue” to view this content.

The BBC disclaims all liability for external website content.

Why hasn’t the format changed for French Open?

Only one singles match is played on Court Philippe Chatrier during the French Open night sessions, which started in 2021.

Since 2023, there hasn’t been a women’s singles match played over three sets in this primetime slot since 2023, making the previous 20 nights’ sessions men’s singles matches that are played over five sets.

Since they were introduced four years ago, the women’s draw has only included four games.

Every year, people ask whether the French Open should do more to promote the women’s game.

Mauresmo claims that the justification for making the decisions is that women’s matches may be going “very quickly.”

She said, “There is nothing new in this book compared to the previous ones.”

We only practice one match per night. It is unchanged. We won’t make any changes to anything.

When you have three sets, at least, two sets can go by a lot.

The women’s level is not currently attained by them. I’m not mentioning this.

Mauresmo added that the tournament does not want to play two nightscapades in the event of late-night matches like the US Open and Australian Open out of fear of putting together a late-night record.

As a result of the schedule’s success, she pointed to the full crowd at Thursday night’s game between French favorite Gael Monfils and British number one Jack Draper, which was played in front of a packed house until it ended at 23:45 local time.

She said, “If we have two matches in the night sessions, it doesn’t work in terms of how late the players will finish.

The stands will be empty for the majority of the first game, so we keep this one game in the evening.

Will anything change?

At Friday’s news conference, Mauresmo expressed frustration with the inquiries regarding the lack of women’s nightclub games.

She quickly shut down another question toward the end of the half-hour event after responding to several others, saying she wanted to “change the subject.”

Mauresmo earlier made an attempt to get past the situation by implying that some women’s matches would be chosen in the upcoming days.

She said, “Maybe we talk about this on the final Sunday.”

Mauresmo hopes that the women’s draw will provide some intriguing nighttime matches.

We have some interesting rivalries, she continued, adding that Iga is “Swiatek,” Coco is “Gauff,” Aryna is Sabolenka, and Madison is “Keys.”

“I believe we are entering a very interesting era with intriguing characters and a very high level of play,” she said.

related subjects

  • Tennis

West Ham fined £120,000 for homophobic chants at Chelsea

Images courtesy of Getty

West Ham admitted homophobic chanting and were fined £120,000 after being found guilty of it during a game against Chelsea.

Following their 3 February premier league defeat at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea, the Hammers were charged with misconduct in March.

A separate regulatory body later acknowledged the charge and determined that the club had violated its supporters’ rights.

The commission determined that the chanting constituted a criminal offense.

West Ham alleged that they “unwaveringly condemn” all forms of offensive behavior and have a zero tolerance policy against discrimination.

related subjects

  • West Ham United
  • Chelsea
  • Premier League
  • Football

West Ham fined £120,000 for homophobic chants at Chelsea

Images courtesy of Getty

West Ham admitted homophobic chanting and were fined £120,000 after being found guilty of it during a game against Chelsea.

Following their 3 February premier league defeat at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea, the Hammers were charged with misconduct in March.

A separate regulatory body later acknowledged the charge and determined that the club had violated its supporters’ rights.

The commission determined that the chanting constituted a criminal offense.

West Ham alleged that they “unwaveringly condemn” all forms of offensive behavior and have a zero tolerance policy against discrimination.

related subjects

  • West Ham United
  • Chelsea
  • Premier League
  • Football

Hollyoaks star ‘ties the knot with businessman fiancé she met on aeroplane’

The actress, who is best known for her role on the long-running soap Katja, broke up with her husband six years ago.

Hollyoaks’ star weds businessman-fiancé whom she met on an airplane.

Hollyoaks star Caroline Koziol has reportedly married her fiancé Phil Thornett after first meeting him on an aeroplane. The actress, who is best known for her role on the long-running soap Katja, broke up with her husband six years ago. and has now walked down the aisle with her closest friends and family attending the ceremony.

According to reports, the gorgeous couple tied the knot in the countryside at a ceremony attended by their family and friends including former Hollyoaks co-star Rory Douglas Speed, who is known for his role as Joel Dexter in the Channel 4 series. Caroline and Rory became close friends on the set of Hollyoaks.

READ MORE: ‘My five-star Simba mattress is like sleeping on a giant cushion and it’s £600 off’

Caroline Koziol
According to reports, the actress is reportedly tying the knot to the kot.

As per The Sun, Caroline reportedly met her now-husband Phil on the plane and quickly fell for him. The Mirror have contacted Caroline for comment.

The actress portrayed a Polish immigrant named Katja on Hollyoaks for a short time in 2021. Warren Fox, Felix Westwood, and Brad King were going to steal laptops from her character as the unwary van driver.

She soon became weary of Felix when she learned he wasn’t wearing a proper stab vest as their plan developed and he led her into a garage in a policeman suit.

Caroline Koziol
Away from Hollyoaks, she creates sketches on TikTok(Image: Future Publishing via Getty Images)

Felix tied her up before putting her in the backseat of the van in a fit of panic. Katja managed to escape from him during the chaos.

She unintentionally struck Maxine Minniver while escaping in her van. Caroline also appeared as Mariana in Line of Duty in 2019 besides Hollyoaks.

She was nominated for Best Actress at the Los Angeles Film Festival for her role in the short film Dream Catcher, which included roles in over 20 Bollywood films.

The actress entertains fans with her endlessly entertaining sketches and posts, which total almost 200, 000 followers on TikTok.

She previously stated, “I’ve built a community with them, and I give them so much.” I read every comment, and I’m incredibly appreciative of the help I get.

“But it wasn’t easy to begin with.” For the past two years, I’ve tried everything, but none of my channels worked. For the first nine months, I’ve been posting every day, and I’ve finally managed to gain followers.

“I initially found it challenging because my videos hardly received any views, but I eventually learned that consistency is important, so I made the decision to keep going.”

Follow Mirror Celebs on Threads, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Instagram, and TikTok.

Continue reading the article.

READ MORE: Large family tent that’s ‘easy to assemble’ drops from £1,100 to £275 in time for summer

Rochelle Humes wows in £35 Next jumper that’s ‘perfect for this time of year’

Another item from her collection from Next wowed fans once more at Next thanks to Roxelle Humes.

Rochelle Humes sporting the ideal summer jumper from Next(Image: Next)

Summer in the UK is somewhat lottery-like. It’s warm and sunny on one day, and then it pours down with rain the next.

It’s always wise to always have a lightweight cardigan or jumper at hand. The perfect summer jumper was recently featured on the Next website by This Morning star Rochelle Humes.

This new-in piece is perfect for the ominous British weather because the ITV presenter has an ongoing collection with the fashion retailer. Keyhole detailing is present throughout the crew-neck fitted jumper, which costs £35.

READ MORE: ‘Saviour in a bottle’ Elizabeth Arden anti-ageing cream slashed to £33 in deal stack

READ MORE: Rochelle Humes looked so chic in high street outfit for This Morning and it’s under £50

For a relaxed daytime look, Rochelle pairs the loose-fitting light-blue jeans with the relaxed knit. According to OK!, it would look just as chic with tailored shorts or denim shorts on hot days or layered over a summer dress or skirt.

In the meantime, Boden has a crocheted version of the Cotton Stitch Crew Jumper. It costs £70 and comes in ivory and brown. It is paired with medium-blue denim cuffs.

Next’s summer jumper with a crew neck

White Ecru 100% Cotton Stitch Long Sleeve Crew Neck Knitted Jumper

£35

Purchase Now on Next

Customers can purchase a Crochet Tunic Top (£40) at Roman in white, teal, black, and beige. It looks great with shorts or a swimsuit for the holidays. Choose from sizes 10-20.

Additionally, the fashionable piece can be purchased in a blue color scheme with pink and green stripes. Sizes are available for extra large, medium, medium, large, extra large, and extra, extra large.

One customer wrote in the reviews section of Rochelle’s jumper from Next, “Gorgeous jumper.” It is both too hot and too cold, making it ideal for this time of year.

Another stated, “Loved the jumper but had to return because it was too short on me because I’m only 5 3 inches tall.” A third person wrote, “Very nice, fitted well, and of good quality.”

Continue reading the article.

Another customer referred to it as “gorgeous jumper but incredibly oversize.” I’m a size 14-16 and bought an XS!! Gorgeous, but massive jumper with cropped legs.