Slider1
previous arrow
next arrow

News

Reps In Rowdy Session Over Motion To Rescind ‘Real-Time’ Clause In Electoral Act

The House of Representatives was in a rowdy session on Tuesday as lawmakers disagreed over a motion seeking to rescind the passage of the Electoral Act Amendment Bill, which contained real-time electronic transmission of results.

The Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Rules and Business, Francis Waive, had moved a motion for the House to rescind its decision on the bill, which was passed on December 23, in line with the Senate’s position on real-time electronic transmission of election results.

When the Speaker of the House, Tajudeen Abbas, put the motion to a voice vote, the “nays” were louder than the “ayes”, but he ruled that the nays had it.

The ruling triggered protests from lawmakers, who began shouting in objection, prompting the speaker to call for an executive session.

Meanwhile, a lawmaker who spoke to Channels Television on grounds of anonymity says the issue of non-payment of contractors is also being deliberated in the executive session, and members are insisting on not sitting until their contractors are paid.

FG Has No Interest In Prosecuting El-Rufai – Inibehe

Human rights lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, on Tuesday said the Federal Government has no interest in prosecuting former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

El-Rufai, 66, faces cybercrime charges over the alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

The case marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026 was filed by the Federal Government on Monday, barely three days after El-Rufai said during a live interview that the NSA’s phone conversation was intercepted, and that he heard the NSA directing security operatives to detain him.

Weighing in on the matter during an interview on Channels Television’s Morning Brief, Effiong said the Nigerian government has not shown seriousness with the case.

“I am telling Nigerians that the Federal Government of Nigeria has no interest in prosecuting Nasiru El-Rufai on this issue. There are no interested in prosecuting him,” the lawyer said.

READ ALSO: FG Sues El-Rufai Over NSA Phone-Tapping Claims

Speaking further, the lawyer argued that the charges the government filed against the former governor through the State Security Services (SSS) does not have some particulars.

“A charge must have particulars. What is the name of the equipment? When was it acquired? Where was it kept? Who has access to that equipment? These are questions that a serious investigative agency has to answer. What is their attitude to it.

In the first count, the government alleged that El-Rufai admitted during an appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on 13 February that he and others unlawfully intercepted Mr Ribadu’s phone communications.

Prosecutors said the alleged act contravenes Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024.

In count two, SSS accused the former governor of stating during the same interview that he knew and associated with an individual who unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s communications but failed to report the person to security agencies, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes Act.

The third count alleged that El-Rufai and others now at large used technical equipment or systems in a manner that compromised public safety and national security by intercepting Mr Ribadu’s communications, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

A date for his arraignment has not yet been fixed.

The former governor previously backed President Bola Tinubu’s emergence as All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate in 2023.

They parted ways politically, with El Rufai turning into Tinubu’s fierce critic, after the president’s intial move to appoint the former Kaduna State governor as a minister fell through.

Wales to face Fiji in rugby Test at Cardiff City Stadium

Gareth Griffiths

BBC Sport Wales
  • Comments

The Wales rugby men’s side are set to face Fiji at the Cardiff City Stadium when they kick off the inaugural Nations Championship in July.

It will be the first time the Welsh men’s national side will play an international at the home of Cardiff City football club, with the game scheduled for Saturday, 4 July.

Details for fixture are expected to be confirmed this week.

Wales play three away games in the summer campaign against Fiji, Argentina and South Africa in World Rugby’s new biennial competition.

South Africa have confirmed the game against Wales will be in Durban on 18 July, while the destination of the Argentina match has yet to be announced, although it is expected to be in San Juan on 11 July.

The choice of the Cardiff City Stadium venue for the Wales and Fiji match is not related to recent lower ticket sales at the Principality Stadium and the July game will not be organised by the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU).

Cardiff City Stadium hosted Welsh rugby’s “Judgement Day” in 2024, a Welsh regional derby double-header played on the same day in the United Rugby Championship (URC).

Cardiff Rugby also played at the ground between 2009 and 2012, before returning to the Arms Park, while the European Challenge Cup club final was held at the Cardiff City Stadium in 2011.

The stadium, which was opened in 2009, has become the home of the Wales football team and has a capacity of 33,280, compared to just under 74,000 at the Principality Stadium.

Why is Fiji and Wales not being played at the Principality Stadium?

The Fiji fixture is not Wales’ game to organise.

Wales traditionally play their home matches at the Principality Stadium but this contest is considered an away match with Fiji being the hosts.

Similarly, the invitational Barbarians will be the “home” side when they face Wales at the Allianz Stadium in Twickenham on Saturday, 27 June.

Fiji are set to play their Nations Championship home matches at venues outside their own country, given the logistical difficulties of travel to the Pacific Islands and the ability to maximise revenue at larger grounds elsewhere.

Fiji face England in the second round of fixtures, before finishing the July group stages against Scotland.

The Principality Stadium is also continuing the tradition of hosting a number of non-rugby events this summer, so is unavailable to stage matches in late June and early July.

There are no official events yet listed in the Principality Stadium calendar for July, but rock group Metallica are holding a concert in Cardiff on Sunday, 28 June, 12 days after Take That have played in the Welsh capital.

    • 27 January
    • 16 hours ago

What is the Nations Championship?

The new biennial 12-team event will consist of the Six Nations teams as the northern hemisphere representatives, with South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, Fiji and Japan as their opposition.

It comprises six rounds of matches across the summer and autumn Test windows before three double-header fixture days on 27-29 November at Allianz Stadium in Twickenham to rank nations and crown champions.

The results from the ‘finals weekend’ will also contribute to a parallel contest, to decide which hemisphere prevails overall.

There is an ambition to take future finals to new destinations.

Related topics

  • Cardiff City
  • Welsh Rugby
  • Wales Rugby Union
  • Rugby Union

More on this story

    • 1 day ago
    Josh Adams of Wales consoles teammate Taine Plumtree following the Six Nations 2026 match between Wales and France

IRFU keen to ‘hold people to account’ for racist abuse

Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) director of communications Aoife Clake is hopeful “we can bring something to the Gardai (Irish police)” following the racist abuse directed at Edwin Edogbo.

Munster forward Edogbo came off the bench for his Ireland debut in Saturday’s 20-13 victory over Italy in the Six Nations.

In a follow-up social media post congratulating the 23-year-old a number of abusive replies resulted in the IRFU turning off further comments.

Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster on Tuesday, Clarke confirmed they are awaiting a report from Signify, a UK-based company that has the ability to collect online data, before they take the next step.

“Through their technology, they are able to scan open source commentary and anything we get to players, match officials or staff through direct messages can be reported,” Clarke told Good Morning Ulster.

“They take that and conduct investigations and at the moment they are investigating a number of accounts. They will look to see if there are patterns from these accounts or if it’s one-off.

“We can then decide if we can refer it to local law enforcement for the next step. We’d be hopeful we can bring something to the Gardai that could lead to prosecutions.

    • 1 day ago
    • 1 day ago

On Monday, the IRFU confirmed the “cowardly” comments are subject to an investigation and Clarke reiterated the IRFU’s stance that “rugby is a welcome space for everyone”.

“There is no place for racism in our sport, in any sport or even society. When things like this happen, it makes you bond and step back to look at everything you can do.

“In Munster, Edwin has been playing for them and they haven’t experienced anything like it up until now either, so it seems to have been magnified with that step up to international level.

“It has no place at any club, province or international level, so we will do all we can to eradicate it and support the players, match officials and staff.”

The 23-year-old second row has made 24 appearances for Munster and has registered 30 points.

After that nervy victory on Saturday, Ireland head coach Andy Farrell praised the debutant’s contribution in his post-match news conference.

“Well, we need to celebrate Edwin’s first cap, that is for sure as it is one amazing story,” Farrell said.

Related topics

  • Irish Rugby
  • Rugby Union
  • Ireland Rugby Union

Spurs accused of editing meeting minutes by fans

Bobbie Jackson

BBC Sport journalist

Tottenham have been accused of selectively editing the written version of what was said at a fans’ meeting last month.

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust (THST) met with representatives of Spurs’ board, including chief executive Vinai Venkatesham on 3 February – eight days before manager Thomas Frank was sacked.

THST said that in the minutes of the meeting, the club omitted a section outlining fans’ concerns about the risk of relegation from the Premier League and how belief generated from winning the Europa League had been “lost”.

The group also claimed that the club left out a line stating they “welcomed the input of THST”.

“As a democratic supporters’ organisation elected to represent fans’ views, we believe it is vital that supporters can see what issues are being raised with the club, how those issues are being discussed and what responses are being given,” THST said.

“Publishing a full record of the points raised helps ensure accountability and allows members, and the wider fan base, to understand how the Trust is fulfilling its role on their behalf.

“Transparency is integral to our role and in our dealings with the club.”

Tottenham sit 16th in the Premier League and five points clear of the relegation zone after winning seven games this season.

On Friday, they appointed Croatian Igor Tudor as interim head coach until the end of the campaign.

Related topics

  • Premier League
  • Tottenham Hotspur
  • Football

More on this story

  • Tottenham Hotspur stadium
  • Ask Me Anything  logo

Electoral Act: Nigerians Will Soon Hear From NASS Harmonisation Committee, Says Kalu

Senator Orji Uzor Kalu says the National Assembly committee on harmonisation of the Electoral Act will meet today and finalise its decision on the bill. 

Orji, an ex-governor of Abia State, said this on Tuesday during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily. 

“Regarding the feedback from Nigerians about the Electoral Act amendment, I can tell you it is on track. We had an emergency sitting last week, and we are having another one today. We were originally supposed to resume on the 24th, possibly for budget hearings, but we have shut down the budget hearings for now to focus on the Electoral Committee,” the Abia North lawmaker said on the breakfast show.

“I am a member of the Joint Harmonization Committee. I was in the office from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. When they suggested we go to the Senate President’s house to harmonize our decision, I declined because I needed to eat and sleep after sitting at the National Assembly all day. That process—the harmonization—has officially started. You will hear from us soon.”

His comment came more than one week after the Senate appointed a 12-member committee to work with the House of Representatives for the harmonisation of the Electoral Act.

This was after the lawmakers opted for a flexible model for the transmission of election results, citing technical issues with the network.

The Senate approved the electronic transmission of results but omitted the “real-time” clause. It said the manual collation of results will be the backup option in cases of technological failure.

Their position differs from that of the House of Representatives, which approved the “real-time” upload of results from polling units to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Result Viewing (IReV) portal.

The Senate’s decision on Clause 60 (3) of the amended Electoral Act Bill prompted backlash from Nigerians and civil society organisations over the omission of the “real-time” phrase. 

However, Kalu has defended the decision, saying it was in the best interest of Nigerians.

“What do you mean by real-time? We never discussed electronic voting; we talked about transmission. Voting is always manual. Transmission happens as we finish the job,” he said.

Senator Kalu also clarified his position about a trending video of him commenting on the electronic transmission of election results.

“Regarding the ‘no network’ comment—I said that six years ago. Some hoodlums on social media took that and claimed I wouldn’t vote for electronic transmission. That is not true. As a Christian, I can tell you 95% of senators support electronic transmission,” Kalu said.