[UPDATE]: One Dead, Four Rescued As Three-Storey Building Collapses In Lagos

One person has been confirmed dead after the collapse of a three-storey building in Alagomeji, located in the Yaba area of Lagos State.

The ill-fated building, located at 333 Borno Street, Alagomeji, caved in on Friday night.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), in its Day 2 incident report on Saturday, confirmed that the body of a male victim was pulled from the rubble during ongoing rescue efforts.

The update shared on its official X handle disclosed that emergency responders, including officials of NEMA, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), and the Fire Service, remain on-site.

“So far, four persons have been rescued and are in stable condition,” NEMA stated.

“No additional rescues have been made at the time of this report, but there is speculation that two more persons are still trapped beneath the rubble,” the statement read.

Rescue operations are continuing as authorities work against time to locate possible survivors and prevent further casualties.

It stated that several people were trapped under the rubble.

Emergency officials are seen at the scene of the building collapse in the Yaba area of Lagos State. Credit: X/@nemanigeria

“While eyewitness accounts vary, with some saying six people were trapped and others reporting five, emergency responders have so far rescued four adult males alive and taken them to the hospital for treatment.

“Teams from the National Emergency Management Agency, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, and other responders quickly mobilised to the scene and commenced search and rescue operations,” the agency said.

According to NEMA, the exact number of people still trapped remains unconfirmed, but efforts are ongoing to locate and evacuate survivors.

According to the agency, the exact number of people still trapped remains unconfirmed, but efforts are ongoing to locate and evacuate survivors.

“Emergency officials have cordoned off the site to ensure safety and smooth rescue operations.

“The search and rescue operation is continuing into the night, with responders assuring that no effort will be spared to save lives,” it added.

Emergency officials have cordoned off the site to ensure safety and smooth rescue operations.

The Yaba incident is the latest in the cases of building collapse in Lagos and other parts of the country.

This Morning star shares ‘massive red carpet fail’ at NTAs in ’embarrassing’ video

The NTAs took place this week which saw some of the biggest names in British TV take to the stage to collect their well-deserved awards

This Morning star Tom Swarbrick shared his “massive red carpet fail” at the NTAs by posting an “embarrassing” video to his social media this week. Tom left his fans in stitches as he shared a clip of his awkward outfit mishap at the annual event.

The journalist spoke to the camera in his video as he revealed to viewers that he decided to take his backpack to the event, despite it being a black tie dress code. The 38-year-old attended the National Television Awards where he rubbed shoulders with other celebs, all while carrying his backpack with him.

Tom mentioned in the caption that he even got to walk the red carpet with Liz Hurley. He said: “Massive red carpet fail.

READ MORE: NTA 2024 winners list in full: Who won big at the National Television Awards?READ MORE: ITV This Morning fans ‘floored’ after Andi Peters confirms his age on live TV

Tom carried his backpack with him

“It’s really not my natural habitat. But I’ve honestly surprised myself at this level of self-inflicted personal embarrassment. And all in front of @elizabethhurley1.”

Tom speaks to the camera as he makes his way through the star-studded crowd holding his Berghaus rucksack. He says: “On the red carpet. Obviously got my bag.”

While he is among some A-listers, he then points out: “Actual Liz Hurley. Shouldn’t have brought my bag.” The LBC radio presenter was then met by several comments from his This Morning colleagues.

READ MORE: Sian Welby stuns in £46 satin dress from M&S that’s perfect for party season

Ashley James commented several cry laughing emojis while presenter Josie Gibson did the same. Tom replied to Josie: “Don’t Gibbo… absolutely terrible.”

Fans then took to the comment section to share their own funny messages. One said: “The head of IT on his annual ‘go on then’ to afterwork drinks queuing for the club.”

Another said: “When you’ve finished teaching maths at 6pm but you’ve got the NTAs at 7pm,” while a third wrote: “Absolute legend Tom. I hope this now catches on and more people do the red carpet with back packs.”

Tom posted the funny clip to his Instagram page
Tom posted the funny clip to his Instagram page

This comes as This Morning won an NTA on the special night for best daytime show. The programme won for the first time since 2022, triumphing over Loose Women, James Martin’s Saturday Morning and Scam Interceptors.

During the speech as they accepted the award, Friday presenter Alison Hammond claimed “Natural order has been restored.”

She said: “Can we just say a massive thank you to each and every person who voted for This Morning. We are so overwhelmed.

“This award means so much. We’ve been humbled the last two years, we haven’t won this award. We don’t take it lightly that we won this award, we’re so grateful.”

Article continues below

Main presenter Cat Deeley then went on to add: “We are so lucky to get to do this show, we all love it. Every single person who comes on, we love this show and it’s like having a family.”

Colin Firth’s ex-wife Livia forced to close business after colleague stole £500K

The ex wife of Hollywood actor Colin Firth was forced to close down her fashion firm after an employee stole £500,000 from her business forcing it into financial ruin

Colin Firth’s ex wife Livia was forced to shut down fashion firm after finance employee stole £500,000(Image: Tim P. Whitby/ Getty Images)

Colin Firth’s ex wife Livia Guiggioli was left with no choice but to close down her once lucrative fashion firm after her Head of Finance stole £500,000 in a fraud plot. Stavros Pavlou, 64, is now facing prison for his crimes after stealing the money from Livia’s sustainable fashion consultancy brand called Eco-Age Lt, over a period of two years.

The consultancy firm, which was based in west London, advised well known fashion retailers on how to make their products more sustainable as part of combating an issue that is taken seriously across the entire world. The business was founded in 2007.

Last July, just three months after Pavlou stopped taking money from the company, Livia, who was married to the actor for 22 years until 2019, announced that the firm was “tragically” closing down due to a “financial crisis.”

Colin Firth's ex wife Livia was forced to shut down fashion firm after finance employee stole £500,000
Colin Firth’s ex wife Livia was forced to shut down fashion firm after finance employee stole £500,000(Image: Getty Images)

At the time, she reportedly explained that the crisis was “targeted by criminals” and it has now come to light that she was subtly referring to her former employee.

According to the Daily Express, a court heard yesterday that head of finance Pavlou admitted the fraud when interviewed by police after his arrest in May.

He is now facing a prison sentence for his act of fraud. Prosecutor Edward Aydin told Highbury Corner Magistrates: “Whilst working as head of finance, he stole around £500,000 from his employer. The fraud involved large amounts of documents and files.”

Appearing in court wearing a grey suit, Stavros admitted to one count of fraud by abuse of position.

His defence solicitor Paul Oliver explained: “This is clearly a matter which needs to be sent to the Crown Court for sentence. He was released under investigation in 2024, and I ask to grant him bail. There have been no attempts by him to contact the employer. He is a man of previous good character.”

However, Magistrate Rod Barr told Mr Pavlou: “You have pleaded guilty to this charge, but this matter is too serious to be sentenced in the magistrates’ court. We are sending your case to the crown court where you will be sentenced. You are free to leave the court today, but you must go to Wood Green Crown Court on the date you are told to.”

He added: “If you don’t come back to court at the time, you will be committing a separate offence, and a warrant will be issued for your arrest.”

Stavros Pavlou was given unconditional bail and is set to appear at Wood Green Crown Court when a date has been arranged by court officials.

Speaking about the closure of her much-loved company, she explained last year: “We began 17 years ago with a family shop in West London selling the latest in eco lifestyle products. Nobody would have predicted our trajectory.”

She added: “We are incredibly grateful to those who supported us from the beginning and proud of the work that took us to become a globally recognised consultancy and communication agency and for the role we played to change the landscape of sustainability globally.”

Despite her split from Colin, Livia claims that they have maintained a “wonderful relationship.”

Article continues below

In an interview with Hello! magazine, she said: “We’re always together. Colin and I have a wonderful relationship. We have worked a lot on that, and on keeping the family together. I have a partner, he has a partner and we’re all together all the time. It’s an extended, crazy family.”

READ MORE: Lenovo slashes more than £115 off ‘powerful’ laptop in back-to-uni offer

South Africa inflict record defeat on New Zealand

Getty Images
  • 150 Comments

New Zealand 10 (10)

Tries: Carter Cons: McKenzie Pens: McKenzie

South Africa 43 (7)

New Zealand suffered their biggest defeat in history as they were beaten 43-10 by South Africa in the Rugby Championship in Wellington.

World champions South Africa produced a stunning display, which included six tries and 36 unanswered second-half points, as they bounced back from defeat by the All Blacks a week ago.

New Zealand’s previous heaviest defeat was a 35-7 loss to the Springboks at Twickenham in 2023.

“I give credit to my boys – we didn’t give up. And to the coach (Rassie Erasmus) as well,” said South Africa captain Siya Kolisi.

“We played fearlessly. We didn’t want to hold back. We knew what we needed to do and we believed in ourselves – that was the most important thing out there.”

South Africa made a strong start at the Wellington Regional Stadium but were denied a try following a brilliant Jordie Barrett tackle on Cheslin Kolbe.

RG Snyman did go over for South Africa, only to have the effort ruled out.

New Zealand responded through debutant Leroy Carter, who scored after a well-worked move.

South Africa drew level when Kolbe intercepted a pass in his own half before sprinting clear.

A Damian McKenzie penalty restored New Zealand’s lead but, from there on, it was all South Africa.

Kolbe scored his second try early in second half before Manie Libbok’s penalty.

Damian Willemse powered over the line to extend the Springboks’ lead following a poor New Zealand line-out, and Kwagga Smith, Snyman and Andre Esterhuizen added further tries.

“That’s a tough one to swallow,” said New Zealand captain Scott Barrett.

“The Springboks certainly showed up and took a real improvement from last week, and we just didn’t adjust. There’s a lot of areas where we can get better.”

In the remaining two rounds South Africa play Argentina and New Zealand take on Australia.

Argentina hold on to beat Australia

Australia 26 (7)

Tries: Sua’ali’i, Kellaway, Daugunu 2 Cons: Edmed, O’Connor 2

Argentina 28 (19)

Argentina held on to claim a tense 28-26 win against Australia in Sydney.

A week after the Wallabies beat the Pumas thanks to a try after the final hooter, Argentina capitalised on an undisciplined performance from the hosts at Allianz Stadium.

Argentina fly-half Santiago Carreras kicked seven penalties and a conversion, with 23 points coming from his boot.

Julian Montoya, playing his 112th Test and 50th as skipper, scored their only try.

It came in the eighth minute, after Joseph Suaalii’s early score for Australia.

Argentina led 28-7 before three late tries from Australia – Andrew Kellaway went over and Filipo Daugunu touched down twice – set up an exciting finish.

“I’m just grateful to play with this jersey,” said Montoya. “This time we won, but I think we make it tough for ourselves sometimes.

Related topics

  • Rugby Union

Two Visually Impaired Students Rescued In Ebonyi

The Police and the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) have confirmed the rescue of two visually impaired students who have been reported missing from the Special Secondary School for the Blind in Opefia Community, Izzi Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

The students were found in a good state of health and mind around Abakpa Nike in Enugu State on September 11, 2025, where they were surviving, wandering the streets, and soliciting for alms.

Confirming the rescue to Channels Television through a phone call on Saturday, a spokesperson in Ebonyi State Police Command, Joshua Ukandu, said the rescue of the students who had been missing for three months was facilitated by a phone call to one of the parents.

He added that they were found in good state of health and have been handed over to their parents.

“The students were found in Enugu State, while begging and they have been handed over to their parents,” Ukandu said.

“We are still expecting them back to the command for further questioning.”

READ ALSO: Rivers Administrator Declares Presidential Mandate Fulfilled

Meanwhile, the Coordinator of the National Human Rights Commission in Ebonyi State, Christopher Okorie, disclosed that the rescued students, two teenagers, Augustine Onwunyiruba, a 17-year-old male in JSS3, and Lawrence Onyenaturuchukwu, a 16-year-old female in SS1, were reportedly threatened by seniors at their school, which led to their disappearance since June 5, 2025.

He expressed gratitude to the public and the press for their role in tracing and identifying the missing students.

“Today, September 12, 2025, NHRC Ebonyi State office, is pleased to announce that the children declared missing from Ebonyi State Special School of the blind, Opefia, Izzi LGA, Ebonyi State, three months ago, June 5, have been found.

“They were found around Abakpa Nike, Enugu, where they were surviving through begging. Thank God, they were found in a good state of health and mind. The children have been handed over to their parents.