Trump administration seeks Congress approval for USAID reorganisation

Due to the Republican leader’s constitutional challenges in reorganizing the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the administration of President Donald Trump has submitted a formal request to Congress.

USAID was established as a result of a congressional act. However, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced on Friday that the Trump administration would rename the Department of State, which would be in charge of overseeing the agency’s independent functions.

In a statement on social media, Rubio said, “We are reorienting our foreign assistance programs to align directly with what is best for the United States and our citizens.” We are investing strategically to advance our partners and our own nation while carrying out crucial lifesaving initiatives.

However, critics have accused the Trump administration of overstepping its bounds and trying to undermine independent organizations that don’t align with its goals.

Later that day, State Department spokesman Tammy Bruce gave a news conference presentation on the subject.

She claimed that department officials “have informed Congress of their intention to reorganize” the organization, which would involve changing the way the department’s priorities are handled by the department by July 1, 2025, and removing the last USAID functions that don’t align with its administrative priorities.

Bruce also refrained from arguing that the country’s ability to deal with global disasters like the earthquakes in Myanmar and Thailand on Friday.

“We’re prepared to move right away. Therefore, she said, “we haven’t had an impact on how well we can perform those duties, those requests for assistance when and where they come in.”

Through the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, USAID was established under the authority of Congress. However, it is run by the secretary of state.

The organization was one of the largest distributors of foreign aid until Trump’s second term as president, but that activity largely stopped when the president put a freeze on foreign aid in place.

US aid totaling $ 72 billion was distributed by the US alone in 2023. About half of that amount was distributed by USAID.

However, Rubio has since stated on social media that contracts with USAID have been canceled by 83 percent.

Further employee reductions at USAID

Additionally, there have been numerous layoffs at the organization, which started on Friday.

A memo to USAID employees was obtained by US media that warned that all positions, save those that are required by law, would be eliminated. During her briefing, Bruce, the State Department’s spokesperson, inquired about the changes’ scope.

She said, “With any significant change, there will be disruption,” adding that the layoffs were not unexpected.

“This conclusion has been in our minds.” It arrived. At this point, I can’t tell how many people will no longer serve as foreign service officers. I’m not sure if it will be “everyone.”

She continued, “It’s essentially a restructuring.” There will undoubtedly be disruptions from Secretary Rubio down, as with any restructuring. We are committed to keeping USAID’s lifesaving aid programs operational and personnel safe.

Bruce connected the layoffs to the Trump administration’s effort to end alleged “waste, fraud, and abuse,” a project spearheaded by billionaire businessman Elon Musk.

USAID’s workforce was already subject to significant workforce cuts in February. All but a small portion of the company’s remaining employees, including those stationed abroad, were laid off, leaving about 1,600 people.

Workers were given 15-minute window breaks to enter the building and pick up their belongings from there, and the company’s Washington, DC, headquarters was also shut down.

A federal judge ruled earlier this month that Trump, his Department of Government Efficiency, and other individuals “likely” violated the United States Constitution in multiple ways by dismantling USAID.

According to Judge Theodore Chuang, Musk and DOGE “deprived the public’s elected representatives in Congress of their constitutional authority to decide whether, when, and how to dissolve an agency that was established by Congress.”

DOGE and Musk were ordered to stop attempting to terminate USAID’s staff and contracts by placing a temporary injunction. However, it’s unclear whether the secretary of state’s actions fall under that rule.

Ukraine’s Zelenskyy cautious on new US minerals deal proposal

According to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, a new proposal that would grant the United States access to Ukraine’s crucial minerals is significantly different from the previous draft that Washington had proposed, according to Interfax-Ukraine.

In bilateral discussions with US officials, Zelenskyy made a point of comparing the proposal, which was formally presented to his office, to the one that Deputy Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko had discussed.

The framework has been altered, the author claims. He remarked at a press conference in Kyiv, “Let us study this framework, and then we can talk.”

Additionally, the Ukrainian president added that Kyiv would not recognize US military aid that had previously been approved as repayable loans.

Without mentioning whether such a demand appeared in the most recent version of the US proposal, he said, “We are grateful for the support, but this is not a credit, and we will not allow it to be treated as such.”

After Trump’s rift last month, which saw the United States stop funding of previously agreed military aid and stop sharing intelligence, Zelenskyy faces a major challenge.

Trump’s attempt to end the fighting with Russia is also highly sensitive diplomatically, while shifting Washington’s position to support Moscow’s version of the three-year-old conflict in Ukraine.

Zelenskyy ruled out any discussions with President Vladimir Putin with regard to potential negotiations with Moscow, saying Ukraine could talk to Russian officials about a possible resolution to the war.

The president of Russia made the remarks in response to his proposal to temporarily put Ukraine under external control as part of an effort to reach a peaceful settlement.

He also reaffirmed his claim that Zelenskyy, whose term ended last year, lacks the right to sign a peace deal. While Ukraine is in martial law, it is prohibited to hold national elections in violation of its constitution.

Putin asserted that any successors to the current Ukrainian government could challenge any agreement and that new elections could be held under external control.

Putin said that “we could discuss the possibility of the introduction of temporary governance in Ukraine under the auspices of the United Nations, with the United States, even with European countries, and, of course, with our partners and friends.”

He added that it would allow the nation to “hold democratic elections, to bring to power a viable government that enjoys the trust of the people, and then to start negotiations with them on a peace treaty.”

Without going into further detail, he said that such external governance is “one of the options.”

Trump says Greenland takeover needed for ‘world peace’

As he doubled down on his plans to annex the strategically placed, resource-rich Danish territory, US President Donald Trump claims that the country needs to annex Greenland for “world peace.”

“We’re not talking about American peace,” he said. The topic of discussion is global peace. Trump addressed reporters at the White House, “We are talking about international security.”

On Friday, Vice President JD Vance, his wife, and other senior US officials made a trip to an American military base in Greenland that was later canceled because Greenlanders and Danes complained that the original itinerary had been made without consulting them.

As he and his wife sat down for lunch with them shortly after arriving, Vance briefly addressed the US troops stationed there, explaining that he is “really interested in Arctic security.”

As you all know, it’s a significant issue and will only grow bigger as it gets worse, Vance said. He was scheduled to give remarks and briefings to military officials at a later time.

Relations between the US and the Nordic nation have deteriorated since Trump repeatedly suggested that the US should have some control over the mineral-rich territory held by Denmark, a long-time US ally and NATO member.

A delegation traveling to another country without an official invitation was prevented by Friday’s one-day visit to the US Space Force base at Pituffik, on Greenland’s northwest coast, from potentially breaking diplomatic customs. Additionally, it will lessen the likelihood that Vance and his wife will elude Trump’s announcements.

According to the vice president’s office, Vance was scheduled to give briefings and remarks to US service members on the base during his visit. Mike Waltz, the energy secretary, and second lady Usha Vance, the national security adviser, are among his delegation.

A senior White House official claimed that Danish leaders had spent decades deceiving the Greenlandic people, treating them like second-class citizens, and allowing the island’s infrastructure to crumble.

The official, who was not authorized to comment publicly and requested anonymity to read the vice president’s message, added that Vance would stress the need to increase Arctic security in places like Pituffik.

“We must work together,” the saying goes.

Four of the five parties elected to Greenland’s parliament earlier this month agreed to form a new, broad-based coalition government before Vance’s arrival. In response to Trump’s plans for the area, the parties banded together.

Before the signing of the agreement, Jens-Frederik Nielsen, the prime minister-designate, was greeted with cheers and applause in the capital, Nuuk.

He added that “we must unite.” We are strongest as a whole, according to Greenland’s KNR.

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen congratulated Nielsen and his new government in an Instagram post that read, “I look forward to close cooperation in an unnecessarily conflict-filled time.”

Frederiksen claimed on Tuesday that the US visit, which had originally been scheduled for three days, “created unacceptable pressure.” She claimed that while Denmark and the United States are interested in working together on defense and security, Greenland is a Greenlander’s country.

Usha Vance had initially planned to travel alone to Sisimiut’s Avannaata Qimussersu dogsled race. After that, her husband later said he would accompany her on that trip, only to have the couple visit the military post for one day after the couple’s protests in Greenland and Denmark.

Trump, however, reiterated his desire for US control of Greenland in an interview on Wednesday. Trump responded, “but I think we have to do it, and we have to convince them,” when asked if the people there were “eager” to become US citizens.

A little crazy, I guess.

Residents of Nuuk, which is located about 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) south of Pituffik, expressed concern about Vance’s visit and US interest in their island.

Vance is “welcome if he wants to see it,” according to Cora Hoy, 22, but Greenland is not for sale. With all the attention Greenland is receiving, she continued, “it’s not normal around here.” I simply want to get away from it because I feel like Trump is every day.

“It’s all a little crazy,” the author says. The population here is, of course, somewhat shaky, according to 30-year-old Inuk Kristensen. You don’t do things this way, of course, as everyone else’s does. You don’t just come in and say you want to buy the place.

As China and Russia seek access to its waterways and natural resources, Greenland has a greater strategic significance as the nautical gateway to the Arctic and North Atlantic approaches to North America.

Even though Denmark insisted that the island was not for sale during his first term, Trump pushed the idea of buying it. Additionally, Greenland’s citizens have vehemently opposed Trump’s plans.

Osasuna file appeal over Barcelona fielding Inigo Martinez in LaLiga match

Inigo Martinez should not have played in Barcelona’s LaLiga game due to a technicality, according to Osasuna, who was forced to miss some of his matches due to an injury, according to an appeal from the Spanish football federation (RFEF).

Martinez played the full 90 minutes of Barcelona’s 3-0 victory on Thursday, which moved the league leaders three points clear of LaLiga, after withdrew from the Spain squad for their Nations League games due to a swollen right knee.

In a statement released on Friday, Osasuna said, “The club understands that Inigo Martinez’ participation in yesterday’s game violated article 5 of Annex I of FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players.”

A player who does not play for his club for five calendar days following the end of the international season must do so for medical reasons.

According to Osasuna, Inigo Martinez, who took a medical leave from the Spanish national team, was not permitted to participate in yesterday’s game in accordance with FIFA rules.

During the LaLiga game on Thursday, Inigo Martinez of Barcelona passes the ball while being pressured by Osasuna’s Raul Garcia.

Osasuna moved up to 14th place in the standings after the result, six points clear of the safety zone.

Barcelona’s scheduled game was scheduled for March 8 but the death of the club doctor caused the game to be changed to March 27 because there was no other available time.

Israel launches first air strike on Lebanon’s Beirut since November truce

Israel’s first airstrike on the capital of Lebanon since a tense truce between the Israeli army and the Lebanese armed group Hezbollah in November put an end to the two’s conflict.

On Friday, Israeli forces launched four strikes in the Hadath neighborhood in Beirut’s southern suburbs, an attack that recalls the area’s months-long bombing campaign last year when Israeli jets bombed the area.

According to Ali Hashem of Al Jazeera, “We are by the building that Israel has attacked, and it is total destruction here.” Many of the families who lived there watched as the building was destroyed by Israeli warplanes.

Hashem claimed that the attack damaged the area’s shops and apartments.

The Israeli military claimed that the drone-related target was a Hezbollah military storage facility.

The rocket launch, which was Israel’s second in a row, came after Lebanon fired rockets at Israeli territory. No other organization has claimed responsibility for the two times that Hezbollah has denied involvement.

According to a statement from his office, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam instructed the Lebanese army to quickly identify and detain the rocket fire’s perpetrators, saying it “threatens Lebanon’s stability and security.”

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz claimed that Beirut will not be peaceful as long as there is no peace in northern Israel. Katz claimed that the Lebanese government is directly responsible for the rocket fire.

Hezbollah and Israel exchanged fire for more than a year after the Lebanese armed group started firing rockets at northern Israel in October 2023 in a show of support for Hamas during Israel’s occupation of the Gaza Strip. Before the two parties agreed to end the fighting on November 27, Israel dramatically escalated the conflict in September and killed a large portion of Hezbollah’s leadership.

Israel should have withdrawn its troops from southern Lebanon, according to the US- and French-brokered agreement, but it has failed to do so in five locations. Hezbollah, for its part, agreed to abandon southern Lebanon under the Lebanese army’s exclusive military control and move its weapons and fighters north of the Litani River.

Israeli strike is criticized by Macron.

Joseph Aoun, the president of Lebanon, stated in Paris that the strike on the Beirut suburbs was a continuation of “Israel’s violations of the agreement” sponsored by France and the US.

French President Emmanuel Macron addressed the controversy with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump during a joint press conference with Aoun. He declared the attack “unacceptable.”

Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, the UN’s special representative for Lebanon, claimed that the conflict had “created a crucial period for Lebanon and the entire region.”

Concerned that the war from last year, which displaced more than 1.3 million people in Lebanon and destroyed much of the country’s south, might resume, Israel has promised to be strong in response to any threats to its security.

The first time Israel has responded to the ceasefire since the ceasefire is very relevant and consequential, according to political analyst Yossi Beilin.

According to Beilin, “the Americans and the French need to put an end to the current situation.” He claimed that although “Hezbollah is not Lebanon,” it is an “unibanded military” and that this is the challenge we are facing.