North Korea executes people for sharing foreign films and TV: UN report

North Korea has further tightened its grip on its population over the past decade, executing people for activities like sharing foreign TV dramas, according to a major United Nations report.

The UN Human Rights Office said on Friday that tech-enabled state repression under the Kim dynasty, which has governed with absolute power for seven decades, had grown over a decade of “suffering, repression, and increased fear”.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

“No other population is under such restrictions in today’s world,” concluded the agency’s report, which is based on interviews with more than 300 witnesses and victims who had fled the country and reported the further erosion of freedoms.

“To block the people’s eyes and ears, they strengthened the crackdowns. It was a form of control aimed at eliminating even the smallest signs of dissatisfaction or complaint,” recounted one escapee, cited in the report.

James Heenan, head of the UN Human Rights Office for North Korea, told a Geneva briefing that the number of executions for both normal and political crimes had increased since COVID-era restrictions.

An unspecified number of people had already been executed under new laws imposing the death penalty for distributing foreign TV series, including the popular K-Dramas from South Korea, he added.

The clampdown has been aided by the expansion of “mass surveillance” systems through technological advances, which have subjected citizens to “control in all parts of life” over the past 10 years, the report said.

Heenan also reported that children were being made to work in forced labour, including so-called “shock brigades” for tough sectors such as coal mining and construction.

“They’re often children from the lower level of society, because they’re the ones who can’t bribe their way out of it, and these shock brigades are engaged in often very hazardous and dangerous work,” he said.

Last year, the UN indicated that the forced labour could, in some cases, amount to slavery, making it a crime against humanity.

The sweeping review comes more than a decade after a landmark UN report documented executions, rapes, torture, deliberate starvation, and the detention of between 80,000 and 120,000 people in prison camps.

The new report covered developments since 2014, noting the government’s adoption of new laws, policies and procedures providing a legal framework for repression.

UN rights chief Volker Turk said in a statement: “If the DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea] continues on its current trajectory, the population will be subjected to more suffering, brutal repression and fear.”

Everton eye bargain Grealish deal – Saturday’s gossip

Everton hopeful of signing Manchester City’s Jack Grealish for less than £50m, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea chase Crystal Palace’s Adam Wharton, while Fulham consider Harry Wilson future.

Everton are hopeful they can sign England winger Jack Grealish from Manchester City for a figure lower than the £50m fee they agreed as part of the 30-year-old’s loan deal with the Toffees. (Telegraph – subscription required)

Manchester United are one of the clubs weighing up a January transfer window move for Crystal Palace midfielder Adam Wharton, with Liverpool and Chelsea also interested in the 21-year-old England international. (Caughtoffside)

Chelsea tried to sign Ghana winger Mohammed Kudus, 25, before he joined Tottenham in the summer, but could not persuade West Ham to accept a player-plus-cash deal. (Fabrizio Romano)

Nottingham Forest will have an obligation to buy on-loan Juventus midfielder Douglas Luiz, 27, for 25m euros (£21.6m) if the Brazil international plays 45 minutes of 15 Premier League matches this term. (La Gazzetta dello Sport – in Italian)

Liverpool and Manchester United are among a number of clubs keeping tabs on Ajax’s 17-year-old teenage star Jorthy Mokio, who has already been capped by Belgium and can play at the back or in midfield. (Teamtalk)

Borussia Dortmund could try to permanently sign Argentine defender Aaron Anselmino, 20, if he impresses on loan from Chelsea. (Bild – in German)

Manchester United’s 21-year-old English winger Sam Mather is in talks to make a permanent move to Turkish club Kayserispor. (Manchester Evening News)

Chelsea, Everton and Brighton all made summer enquiries with Barcelona about 18-year-old Spanish midfielder Marc Bernal. (Mundo Deportivo – in Spanish)

Chelsea are interested in signing 20-year-old Juventus and Turkey striker Kenan Yildiz, but will have to pay £86m (100m euros). (Fichajes – in Spanish)

Fulham will look to cash in on midfielder Harry Wilson in January to avoid losing the 28-year-old Wales international for free in the summer. (Football Insider)

Related topics

  • Football

Everton eye bargain Grealish deal – Saturday’s gossip

Everton hopeful of signing Manchester City’s Jack Grealish for less than £50m, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea chase Crystal Palace’s Adam Wharton, while Fulham consider Harry Wilson future.

Everton are hopeful they can sign England winger Jack Grealish from Manchester City for a figure lower than the £50m fee they agreed as part of the 30-year-old’s loan deal with the Toffees. (Telegraph – subscription required)

Manchester United are one of the clubs weighing up a January transfer window move for Crystal Palace midfielder Adam Wharton, with Liverpool and Chelsea also interested in the 21-year-old England international. (Caughtoffside)

Chelsea tried to sign Ghana winger Mohammed Kudus, 25, before he joined Tottenham in the summer, but could not persuade West Ham to accept a player-plus-cash deal. (Fabrizio Romano)

Nottingham Forest will have an obligation to buy on-loan Juventus midfielder Douglas Luiz, 27, for 25m euros (£21.6m) if the Brazil international plays 45 minutes of 15 Premier League matches this term. (La Gazzetta dello Sport – in Italian)

Liverpool and Manchester United are among a number of clubs keeping tabs on Ajax’s 17-year-old teenage star Jorthy Mokio, who has already been capped by Belgium and can play at the back or in midfield. (Teamtalk)

Borussia Dortmund could try to permanently sign Argentine defender Aaron Anselmino, 20, if he impresses on loan from Chelsea. (Bild – in German)

Manchester United’s 21-year-old English winger Sam Mather is in talks to make a permanent move to Turkish club Kayserispor. (Manchester Evening News)

Chelsea, Everton and Brighton all made summer enquiries with Barcelona about 18-year-old Spanish midfielder Marc Bernal. (Mundo Deportivo – in Spanish)

Chelsea are interested in signing 20-year-old Juventus and Turkey striker Kenan Yildiz, but will have to pay £86m (100m euros). (Fichajes – in Spanish)

Fulham will look to cash in on midfielder Harry Wilson in January to avoid losing the 28-year-old Wales international for free in the summer. (Football Insider)

Related topics

  • Football

Everton eye bargain Grealish deal – Saturday’s gossip

Everton hopeful of signing Manchester City’s Jack Grealish for less than £50m, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea chase Crystal Palace’s Adam Wharton, while Fulham consider Harry Wilson future.

Everton are hopeful they can sign England winger Jack Grealish from Manchester City for a figure lower than the £50m fee they agreed as part of the 30-year-old’s loan deal with the Toffees. (Telegraph – subscription required)

Manchester United are one of the clubs weighing up a January transfer window move for Crystal Palace midfielder Adam Wharton, with Liverpool and Chelsea also interested in the 21-year-old England international. (Caughtoffside)

Chelsea tried to sign Ghana winger Mohammed Kudus, 25, before he joined Tottenham in the summer, but could not persuade West Ham to accept a player-plus-cash deal. (Fabrizio Romano)

Nottingham Forest will have an obligation to buy on-loan Juventus midfielder Douglas Luiz, 27, for 25m euros (£21.6m) if the Brazil international plays 45 minutes of 15 Premier League matches this term. (La Gazzetta dello Sport – in Italian)

Liverpool and Manchester United are among a number of clubs keeping tabs on Ajax’s 17-year-old teenage star Jorthy Mokio, who has already been capped by Belgium and can play at the back or in midfield. (Teamtalk)

Borussia Dortmund could try to permanently sign Argentine defender Aaron Anselmino, 20, if he impresses on loan from Chelsea. (Bild – in German)

Manchester United’s 21-year-old English winger Sam Mather is in talks to make a permanent move to Turkish club Kayserispor. (Manchester Evening News)

Chelsea, Everton and Brighton all made summer enquiries with Barcelona about 18-year-old Spanish midfielder Marc Bernal. (Mundo Deportivo – in Spanish)

Chelsea are interested in signing 20-year-old Juventus and Turkey striker Kenan Yildiz, but will have to pay £86m (100m euros). (Fichajes – in Spanish)

Fulham will look to cash in on midfielder Harry Wilson in January to avoid losing the 28-year-old Wales international for free in the summer. (Football Insider)

Related topics

  • Football

Sharon Osbourne ‘finding her footing’ after Ozzy’s death as she shares emotional update

The late Ozzy Osbourne’s widow Sharon Osbourne has shared a message with fans after receiving support following his death. She’s said that she’s “still finding her footing” but has enjoyed a “magical” with Kelly Osbourne recently.

It was announced in July that Ozzy had died, aged 76, shortly after his farewell concert with his band Black Sabbath earlier that month. The news was shared by his wife Sharon, 72, and four of his children in a joint statement at the time.

Sharon shared an update with fans tonight, two months on from her late husband’s death. Her post on Instagram included footage of herself and daughter Kelly, 40, in a field with some birds, following the news that they have been trying falconry, which typically involves training and flying falcons or other birds of prey, sometimes to hunt other animals.






Sharon Osbourne shared a message with fans this evening
(
Instagram/sharonosbourne)






Kelly Osbourne, in a plaid shirt and jeans, wearing a brown sat with an owl perched on it, whilst in a field.


She was seen interacting with birds after daughter Kelly Osbourne shared that falconry had helped her amid the loss of Ozzy Osbourne
(
Instagram/sharonosbourne)

Alongside the footage, Sharon wrote: “I’m still having trouble finding the words to express how grateful I am for the overwhelming love and support you’ve shown on social media. Your comments, posts, and tributes have brought me more comfort than you know. None of it has gone unnoticed, in fact, it’s carried me through many nights.”

She added: “Though I’m still finding my footing, I wanted to share some glorious creatures I had the chance to spend an afternoon with. The connection you make with these powerful birds is built entirely on trust and confidence.”

Sharon continued by telling her followers: “They’ll choose to perch on you only if they sense you are safe and unafraid of them.” She added earlier: “It’s a bond I know all too well, and the experience was nothing short of magical.”

The Osbournes star concluded by expressing her love for fans and thanked them for their support. She told her followers in the post: “I love you all, and I thank you deeply for the otherworldly amount of love you continue to send my way.”






Kelly Osbourne, Ozzy Osbourne and Sharon Osbourne, all dressed in black, at an event in 2020.


Kelly and Sharon were among the family members who announced Ozzy’s death in July
(
AFP via Getty Images)

It comes after Kelly announced just days ago that she has “found her smile again” following her father’s death. Kelly told fans recently that falconry has made her feel “happy” lately and shared footage of herself with trained birds.

One video that she posted on Instagram showed a falcon flying over to her, before landing on a glove that she was wearing. Another clip showed an owl flying away from Kelly before returning and seemingly being rewarded with food.

Over a photo of herself with an owl perched on her hand, Kelly wrote: “In all my sadness & grief I have found something that truly makes me happy! I never thought I would find my smile again through falconry but I did. I absolutely love being with the birds!”

Kelly later told fans that she had introduced her mother Sharon to falconry. She wrote in a post this week: “Today I introduced my mum to falconry and she loved it! Thank you [Cornwall Falconry] for putting a smile on my mum’s face too.”

Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads.

Norrie & Fery put GB in control in Davis Cup tie

Getty Images

Great Britain took a big step towards next year’s Davis Cup qualifiers as Cameron Norrie and Arthur Fery both won to give them a 2-0 lead over Poland.

World number 34 Norrie survived a scare against world number 545 Tomasz Berkieta to win his nation’s opening World Group 1 match 7-6 (11-9) 6-4 in Gdynia, Poland.

Fery, ranked 227 in the world, then battled to a 6-4 6-2 victory over Olaf Pieczkowski.

The 23-year-old was making an unexpected Davis Cup debut after British number three Jacob Fearnley pulled out with a rib injury.

Britain need one more win on Saturday to reach February’s first round and therefore have a shot at winning the title in 2026.

The world’s number one doubles pair, Lloyd Glasspool and Julian Cash, will make their debut in Saturday’s doubles, which will be followed by two reverse singles.

Britain lost 3-2 in Japan in the first round of this year’s Davis Cup, and so must win this tie to maintain their status among the elite. Defeat would mean a February play-off, which could result in relegation to World Group 2.

‘Proud’ Fery impresses on debut

Fery’s call up to replace the injured Fearnley came just 24 hours before he stepped out on court to make his Davis Cup debut.

But there were no signs of nerves from the Briton as he produced a mature display against Pieczkowski, ranked 484 in the world.

“I didn’t really think it [a debut] was going to be this early on in my career, and with my ranking,” Fery, whose mum flew in from London just in time for the match, said.

“Very, very proud to be playing for Great Britain, and hopefully I can do it for many years to come.”

Fery had the better of his 21-year-old opponent in the clutch moments, converting four of his 11 break points and minimising his errors, despite some signs of fatigue.

Injury had caused him to drop out of the top 400 in the world but a monumental win over top-50 player Alexei Popyrin at Wimbledon and a first title on the Challenger tour – the rung below the ATP tour – helped him climb the rankings.

“I’ve managed to play well, when I’ve been on court,” he said. “I’ve struggled with injuries the past year and a half, but this year has been good when I have been able to play.”

Norrie had put Britain’s first point on the board earlier on Friday but was made to work for his victory over 19-year-old Berkieta, ranked 511 places below him.

The British number two was immediately on the back foot, saving two break points in his opening service game before saving set points in a tense tie-break then sealing the set with a pinpoint serve.

Related topics

  • Tennis