Two Dead, Three Injured In Ebonyi Road Accident

A horrific motor accident that occurred close to the permanent site of Ebonyi State University along the Abakaliki-Enugu Expressway left three people dead and three injured.

A Mercedes-Benz 911 truck and a commercial bus carrying passengers from Enugu to Abakaliki were involved in the tragic incident on Saturday.

Findings revealed that the tragic accident took place as a result of security personnel blocking a section of the Ishieke police station’s federal highway, adding to the number of accidents recorded along the Ishieke axis.

The Ebonyi State Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corp (FRSC), Anthony Ogbodo, confirmed the incident to Channels Television by speaking directly to him about dangerous driving.

A total of 10 passengers were on board the bus, of which two, a male and a female, died, while three others, who had varying degrees of injuries, have been taken to hospital for medical treatment, according to him.

He claimed that the passenger bus was traveling from Otupko, Benue state, and the truck was traveling from Enugu to Abakaliki.

“At night, the police at that intersection caused the accident by closing one lane of the road.

A male and a female passenger were among the 10 passengers who were traveling: 8 men, 2 women, 3 injured, and 2 died.

The bodies have also been deposited at the Abakaliki morgue at Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital.

Guinea military rulers suspend three opposition parties before referendum

Guinea‘s military rulers have suspended the country’s three main opposition parties, including that of former President Alpha Conde, in the run-up to a constitutional referendum next month.

The order on Saturday prevents Conde’s Rally of the Guinean People, the Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea, led by former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo, and the Party of Renewal and Progress from engaging in any political activities for 90 days with immediate effect.

“These parties have not fulfilled the obligations required of them,” the order stated.

In a separate order read on state television late on Friday, Guinea’s military rulers also declared that the start of the election campaign period for a revised constitution had been pushed back a week, to August 31.

Since Friday, parties have been allowed to advertise their proposals for a new version of the constitution. The referendum is scheduled for September 21.

The suspension comes as the West African nation’s main parties and civil society groups prepared to hold demonstrations from September 5 to condemn what they see as a power grab by military leader General Mamady Doumbouya.

The country’s opposition has come out against the referendum on a new constitution organised by Doumbouya, who took power in September 2021 when a coup toppled Conde, who had been president for 10 years.

Doumbouya’s military-run government has banned all demonstrations since 2022, and it has arrested, prosecuted or pushed into exile several opposition leaders.

Reporting from Dakar in neighbouring Senegal, Al Jazeera’s Nicolas Haque said that for Guinea’s opposition parties, Saturday’s suspension “strips away any pretence that the transition was actually working to protect democracy”.

“When Colonel Doumbouya came to power in a coup … he promised not only to bolster democracy but to give more space to political parties and civil society,” Haque explained.

“What we’re seeing now is three main political parties – including the one of the former president, Alpha Conde – banned, unable to go out and canvass, to post [on] social media. It feels for them like a clamping down on their voice.”

Haque added that the move will prompt more people to take to the streets in protest. “We’re going to see more people going out on the streets, confronting the security forces,” he said.

A draft constitution was presented to Doumbouya in June.

Its text opens the way to a return to civilian rule, though it does not make clear whether Doumbouya could stand as a candidate in the next presidential election.

A “transition charter” drawn up by the military government shortly after the coup had stipulated that none of its leaders, government members or heads of institutions would be able to stand in elections.

Police Arrest 65-Year-Old Man With Over 1000 Rounds Live Ammunition In Anambra

A 65-year-old man named Akpan Godwin was found with more than 1000 rounds of live ammunition in Onitsha, which police in Anambra State have taken into custody.

SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the command’s PR officer, made this known in a statement on Saturday.

He claimed that Godwin was detained on Friday at Nkpor, close to Onitsha, by Akwuzu-based Rapid Response Squad members.

One Akpan Godwin “m” in the age of 65 years was taken into custody, according to Ikenga, by police operatives acting on credible intelligence.

According to the Command’s spokesperson, Godwin admitted to being involved in the illegal sale of ammunition while also mentioning other people connected to the illegal trade during interrogation.

Read more about Gov. Okpebholo’s ultimatum to cultists in “Leave Edo State.”

Ikenga claims that the state’s wider network of supply and distribution centers are in need of improvement.

The operatives have increased their investigation and manhunt efforts to find and apprehend all complicators, Ikenga continued.

One of the South-East’s states where gunmen have been having security issues is Anambra.

As a result, there are more firearms and ammunition being sold, which are linked to violent crimes like armed robberies, kidnapping, cult clashes, and attacks by non-state actors.

The state’s police chief recently made the arrests of a number of criminal elements, including arresting some syndicates involved in arms smuggling and illegal weapons possession.

Four suspects reportedly were detained in Onitsha and Obosi in separate operations in August.

One Dead, 76 Rescued As Troops Destroy Bandit Kingpin’s Hideout In Katsina

As the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) searches for notorious bandit kingpin Babaro and his gang, the masterminds of the recent da-death attack on Gidan Mantau Community in Malumfashi Local Government Area of Katsina State, another 76 people were reported dead and 76 were rescued.

The State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs stated in a statement signed and released on Saturday by Dr. Nasir Mu’azu that the NAF conducted a decisive airstrike at Pauwa Hill in the state’s Kankara Local Government Area and that it had rescued 76 kidnapped victims, including women and children.

He claimed that the precise air interdiction, which took place between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., specifically targeted Babaro’s notorious base at Pauwa Hill, which has long been a source of terror for nearby communities.

The Minister of Internal Security and Home Affairs confirmed the information, revealing that all victims who had been abducted during the Unguwar Mantau attack in Malumfashi were included in the list.

However, he regrettably revealed that a child died tragically while going through the ordeal.

The development, according to the Commissioner, reflected the renewed fervor for security operations throughout Katsina State.

He added that the strike is a component of a larger plan to end the cycle of murder, kidnapping, and extortion that has plagued innocent people.

READ ALSO: Every Year, Nigeria Loses Over $1.5 billion to malnutrition.

He added that the rescue of the kidnapped victims further underlines the effectiveness of coordinated air and ground operations as security forces increase their efforts to eradicate bandits and restore confidence in the populace.

The Nigerian Air Force, the Nigerian Army, and all other security organizations are recognized by the Katsina State government for their bravery and skill in this conflict, through the Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs. Their sacrifices are successfully releasing criminals’ hold on Katsina’s towns and villages.

We reaffirm our ongoing support through logistics, information sharing, and community engagement, ensuring that these efforts continue until banditry is completely eradicated.

Australia’s Miller bags hat-trick in record 11-try win

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

Women’s Rugby World Cup – Pool A

Australia (45) 73

Tries: Amosa, Miller 3, Halse 2, Chancellor, Karpani, Smith, Talakai 2

Cons: Wood 6, Cramer 3

Australia scored 73 points against a helpless Samoa to record their largest-ever Women’s Rugby World Cup victory in a perfect start to their tournament campaign.

The Wallaroos’ 11 tries was also the most they have scored in a game, with their previous largest winning margin coming in a 62-0 win over South Africa in 2010.

Wing Desiree Miller bagged a first-half hat-trick as Joanne Yapp’s side moved above England to lead Pool A on points difference.

Full-back Caitlyn Halse, the youngest player to represent Australia at a Women’s World Cup at just 18, scored the pick of the first-half scores after hitting a brilliant line to race clear.

Former England captain Yapp will be confident her side can qualify for the knockout stages, but it is hard to know just how they will match up against the Red Roses, who are World Cup favourites, given the weak opposition.

Samoa, ranked 15th in the world, are competing at their first Women’s World Cup since 2014.

A large portion of the Salford crowd got behind the second-lowest ranked side in the tournament, but strong defence prevented them from crossing in an improved second-half performance.

The Wallaroos next face the United States in York on Saturday, which will probably decide who will qualify alongside England for the quarter-finals.

England comfortably defeated the United States 69-7 in the opening game of the World Cup, with head coach John Mitchell revealing post-game that he will rotate his squad heavily for the game against Samoa next Saturday.

Line-ups

Australia XV: Halse; Stewart, Friedrichs, Smith, Miller; Moleka, Wood; Pohiva, Amosa, Karpani, Leaney, Leonard, Duck, Chancellor.

Replacements: Talakai, Hoy, O’Gorman, Fernandez, Marsters, Morgan, Hinds, Cramer.

Samoa XV: Wright-Akeli; Col Aumua, Pouri-Lane, Makisi, Falaniko; Vatau, Afuie; Mamea, Filimaua, Aiono, Sio, Onesemo-Tuilaepa, Ryder, Pauaraisa, Atonio.

Replacements: Leuta, Aiolupotea, Iosefo, Taylor, Iva, Onosemo-Tuilaepa, Salale, Tugaga.

Related topics

  • Rugby Union