‘Very soft and cosy’ Boden cardigan that’s perfect for layering gets axed by 40% in rare sale

If you’re looking for the perfect cardigan to keep you warm and cosy this autumn, look no further than this Boden piece that’s now up for grabs with a massive 40% off

Autumn is that awkward time of year when the wind carries a biting chill, but temperatures haven’t dropped low enough for us to whip out our favourite winter knits. That said, a warm cardigan that can easily be layered or worn alone is the wardrobe staple needed through this transitional time of year.

Boden is currently offering a massive sale that’s seen some cosy knits plummet in price, including this Edie Fair Isle Cardigan, which is now a mega 40% off. And, according to Boden, this cardi is selling like hotcakes, so you may want to get a move on to secure yours before it’s gone.

READ MORE: ‘Warm and flattering’ M&S cardigan that ‘looks expensive’ is slashed to £4.50 in rare deal

READ MORE: Strictly’s Vicky Pattison swears by these under-eye patches that are ‘the best for depuffing’

The Edie Fair Isle Cardigan, available in a variety of plain colours or playful patterns that are sure to spruce up any autumn ensemble, is currently reduced by £47.60.

Touted as a Boden bestseller, this cardigan is spun from a soft blend of wool and cotton, creating a sumptuously warm and cosy feel that’s a must-have for comfortable styling this season.

The knit features Boden’s playful take on Fair Isle patterns, boasting unique designs inspired by vintage knits in soft shades. This piece, in particular, has adopted a colourful fruit motif that adds a fun and contemporary twist to a timeless style.

Shoppers have been quick to praise this piece, as it has amassed numerous 5-star reviews. One buyer beams: “Absolutely beautiful. The green colour is stunning and the colours in the diamond pattern complement it perfectly. Looking forward to wearing this as the months begin to get colder.”

Another shopper says: “So glad I managed to get hold of one of these – it’s simply gorgeous! I get so many compliments.”

Further praise comes from this customer, who raves: “This sweater is perfection. Beautiful floral design and I will be saving it for spring chilly weather here in Texas. True to my US size 8 I ordered a medium. It’s not too cropped and the quality is up to Boden standards.”

Article continues below

And a fourth chimes in: “This beautiful cardigan is making my January. I ordered the vintage mauve color way and it did not disappoint. I’m 6’0″ tall and though that means this cardigan is a bit on the shorter side, it’s not too short at all. Even with low rise jeans, the front hem of the cardi can be barely tucked in, which is a look I love. It will also be perfect with higher waisted trousers. I can imagine wearing this over spring dresses, with my collection of full midi skirts from Boden, and with jeans. Looking excellent with everything. Thank you for another perfect sweater!”

EU discusses ‘drone wall’ to protect airspace from Russian violations

The European Commission is in discussions to adopt a new counter-drone initiative to protect European Union airspace from Russian violations, as it seeks to strengthen border security with its own advanced drone technology after a string of drone incursions were reported in a host of EU and NATO member countries over the past month.

The proposal, which was included in a defence policy “roadmap” presented on Thursday, will aim for the new anti-drone capabilities to reach initial capacity by the end of next year and become fully operational by the end of 2027, according to a draft of the document.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

It will then be presented to EU foreign affairs chief Kaja Kallas, European Commission Executive Vice President for Security Henna Virkkunen, and European Commissioner for Defence Andrius Kubilius.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said last month that it was time for Europe to build a “drone wall” to protect its eastern flank, hours after some 20 Russian drones reportedly entered the airspace of EU and NATO member Poland.

The concept has since morphed into a broader “European Drone Defence Initiative” including a continent-wide web of anti-drone systems in an effort to win support from EU capitals.

The drone initiative is one of several flagship EU projects aiming to prepare the bloc for a potential attack from Russia as its more than three-year-long war in Ukraine grinds on.

In the meantime, as a counterpoint, Russia’s federal security chief said on Thursday that Moscow has no doubt about NATO’s security services’ involvement in incidents with alleged Russian drones over EU territory, Russian news agency RIA Novosti cited him as saying.

Following the drone incursion into Poland, other incidents were reported at airports and military installations in several other countries further west, including Denmark, Estonia and Germany, although there has not been confirmation that the drones were sent by the Kremlin.

For its part, NATO has launched a new mission and beefed up forces on its eastern border, but it is playing catch-up as it tries to tap Ukraine’s experience and get to grips with the drone threat from Moscow.

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte said on Wednesday that NATO was now “testing integrated systems that will help us detect, track and neutralise aerial threats” for use on the bloc’s eastern flank.

Ukrainian officials say Russia’s incursions into other countries’ airspace are deliberate.

“Putin just keeps escalating, expanding his war, and testing the West,” Andrii Sybiha, Ukraine’s foreign minister, said last month after the drones were spotted in Poland.

Other NATO allies have also claimed the incursions were deliberate.

However, experts in drone warfare say it is still possible that the incursions were not deliberate.

Russia has denied deliberately attacking any of the European countries, instead accusing them of making false allegations to cause tensions.

While Brussels wants to have the drone project fully up and running by the end of 2027, there is scepticism from some EU countries and fears that the bloc is treading on NATO’s toes.

VIDEO: Senate Screens INEC Chairman-Nominee Joash Amupitan

The Senate on Thursday screened President Bola Tinubu’s nominee as the new Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Joash Amupitan.

READ ALSO: CSOs Demand Transparent Senate Screening Of INEC Chair Nominee Amupitan

Tinubu had formally written to the Senate, seeking the confirmation of the professor of Law as the new INEC.

The request was read on the floor of the Senate by the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, during plenary on Tuesday.

Akpabio also read other communications from the President regarding appointments that require legislative approval.

According to the letter, the nomination is in accordance with the provisions of the constitution, which mandates Senate confirmation for such appointments.

At the screening on Thursday, Amupitan fielded questions from different senators on various issues affecting Nigeria’s electoral systems and how he would address them if confirmed as the new INEC chairman.

Watch the screening below:

Amupitan’s Nomination

Last Thursday, the President presented Amupitan’s name as his preferred nominee to fill the leadership vacancy at the electoral commission.

The Council of State unanimously approved the nomination of Amupitan, as the next INEC Chairman, following the exit of Mahmood Yakubu.

Tinubu told the council that Amupitan, an indigene of Kogi state in the north-central geopolitical zone, is the first person from the state to be nominated for the role of INEC chairman.

According to a statement by the presidential spokesman, Tinubu described the nominee as an “apolitical” figure.

Council members, including former heads of state, gave unanimous backing to the nomination. Usman Ododo, governor of Kogi state, also described Amupitan as a “man of integrity”.

Sheff Wed set to be served winding-up petition

Rex Features

Sheffield Wednesday will “imminently” be served with a winding-up petition over money owed to HMRC.

After an investigation conducted by BBC Radio Sheffield alongside the Sheffield Star, it is understood the Championship club owes £1m.

A winding-up petition would increase the pressure on the club’s owner Dejphon Chansiri to sell.

They are already under five separate EFL embargoes after failing to pay wages on time in five of the past seven months.

Wednesday are second bottom of the Championship with six points from nine games after a torrid period off the field, which has left them with a threadbare squad.

The severity of the situation became apparent when May’s wages were not paid on time, in the wake of the same thing happening in March.

With uncertainty ongoing and the club placed under various registration embargoes, highly-rated manager Danny Rohl departed in July and his assistant Henrik Pedersen took charge 10 days before the season started.

The team did not play a single pre-season friendly in front of fans and players pulled out of a training match against Burnley after July’s wages were not paid.

Fans have organised protests before and during games so far this season and they boycotted the home EFL Cup ties with Leeds and Grimsby, while the supporters’ trust also encouraged fans not to buy drinks or snacks in the stadium.

‘Unclear what future holds’

Analysis – Rob Staton, BBC Radio Sheffield reporter

For the last week we’ve been working on this story alongside the Sheffield Star. It isn’t a surprise and has been on the cards.

So what does it mean? A winding-up petition is a formal court application, filed by a creditor, to force an insolvent company into compulsory liquidation. With HMRC owed £1m they are believed to be ready to take that step.

It could mean administration for the club, although that is not guaranteed, but it also means a distinct possibility that Chansiri’s time at Sheffield Wednesday is close to coming to an end.

What the future holds is unclear and no fan will rejoice at the words “liquidation” being brought up. But it could mean the opportunity for a fresh start.

Related topics

  • Sheffield Wednesday
  • Football
  • England Sport

More on this story

    • 26 July 2022
    Sheff Wed badge
  • Sheffield Wednesday

Several killed, injured in bus explosion near Syria’s Deir Az Zor: State TV

At least four people have been killed and nine injured following an explosion targeting a government-owned bus in eastern Syria, according to the state news agency SANA.

The explosive device detonated while the bus, belonging to the Syrian Ministry of Energy, was travelling on a highway connecting Deir Az Zor and al-Mayadin, SANA reported in a post on X on Thursday.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

All four deaths were security personnel at an oil facility in Deir Az Zor, the country’s oil heartland and seventh largest city, which was the site of fierce battles against ISIL (ISIS) during the country’s ruinous civil war.

Oil facility workers as well as civilians were among those who were injured in the attack, SANA added, without providing further details.

A video verified by Al Jazeera from the site of the explosion showed several security personnel inspecting a bomb-damaged bus on the side of a road.

According to the Reuters news agency, the security personnel were part of an army contingent securing the Teim oilfield. They were reportedly returning home after their shift at the oil facility when the explosion took place.

The incident is said to be the deadliest explosion in the eastern province, which also produces most of Syria’s wheat, since the fall of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad last December.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

In May, a blast killed at least three people targeting a police station in al-Mayadin, a day after Syrian authorities said security forces killed three ISIL fighters and arrested four others in Aleppo.

In June, authorities had also accused ISIL of being behind a deadly suicide attack in a Damascus church that killed 25 people, though the group never claimed responsibility.

During Syria’s civil war, which erupted in 2011, ISIL carried out similar attacks on buses targeting the forces of al-Assad.

However, since the interim government of President Ahmed al-Sharaa took power after a lightning rebel offensive, attacks on government-controlled areas have been rare.

The site of the latest deadly attack also lies near an area controlled by the Kurdish US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) east of the Euphrates, where skirmishes and tensions between government forces and the SDF have risen in recent weeks.

The region lies along the border with Iraq and is divided by the Euphrates River between areas controlled by the state and the US-backed and Kurdish-led SDF, which controls Syria’s oilfields east of the river.

In August, Syria’s Ministry of Defence had accused the SDF of carrying out a rocket attack on a military position in northern Syria, injuring four army personnel and three civilians.

Internal, external concerns for al-Sharaa

The Syrian leader has been on a painstaking mission to try and unify the war-ravaged nation, making major inroads in ending Syria’s international isolation, crowned with a visit to the United Nations General Assembly last month, the first by a Syrian in six decades, where he called for an end to all sanctions on his nation.

Damascus has also been attracting substantial economic investment from Gulf Arab nations, a critical economic lifeline.

Deadly sectarian fighting in the southern province of Suwayda in July rocked the fledgling government, prompting it to deploy forces there to quell unrest between Bedouin tribes and Druze militias.

There are also external interventionist security issues to contend with, as Israel attacked Syrian positions during that fighting under the pretext of protecting the Druze. But Israel has carried out multiple bombings and incursions into Syria both before and after that, despite ongoing security talks between the two nations.

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s vision of a “Greater Israel”, condemned by Arab and Muslima countries, involves hegemonic designs on Syrian territory, among others.

On Friday, SANA reported Israeli forces conducted incursions and raids in Eastern al-Samadaniyah and Ofaniya, in the Quneitra countryside.

According to SANA, the Israeli operation consisted of eight military vehicles, a heavy bulldozer, and two tanks advancing from near Tal Krum Jaba towards Eastern al-Samadaniyah, before withdrawing hours later towards the destroyed city of Quneitra in southwestern Syria, in the occupied Golan Heights.

Is the ‘inverted’ winger here to stay?

Getty Images
  • 65 Comments

The number of ‘traditional’ wide players starting in the Premier League is significantly down this season, with the majority of teams deploying inverted wingers and a few starting with wing-backs.

Traditional in this sense means a predominantly left-footed player lining up on the left wing or a right-footed player on the right, while an inverted winger would be a left-footed player on the right. Mohamed Salah at Liverpool or Bukayo Saka at Arsenal are prime examples.

Some of that decrease can be attributed to circumstance rather than a complete tactical shift, with new teams and managers entering the division, while the likes of Bournemouth and Everton have tended to buck that trend this season.

The Toffees have started the primarily right-footed Iliman Ndiaye on the right on five occasions in order to accommodate Jack Grealish on the left. The Senegalese was usually deployed on the left flank last term.

Andoni Iraola has named the left-footed David Brooks on the left and the right-footed Antoine Semenyo on the right on three occasions this term at Bournemouth, although they do tend to switch flanks during matches.

Giggs hopes for the return of orthodox wing play

Legendary Manchester United star Ryan Giggs has called for the return of orthodox wing play and believes that modern day football has become ‘strangled’.

“I hope it comes back, left footer on the left, right footer on the right,” said the 51-year old.

“The argument against that is people like [Gareth] Bale, [Arjen] Robben, [Mohamed] Salah, these amazing players, who are playing on the other side and then it is ‘how do you play?’, continued Giggs, who was speaking on a ‘Player Development the Manchester United way’ panel at the Training Ground Guru conference at Old Trafford.

“We used to play with two centre-forwards or a number 10 and try to beat the full-back on the outside and get a cross in. Now it is coming inside and linking.

“But I hope it comes back. I would like to see two wide men beat players on the outside and get crosses in.”

Giggs has not had a management role since standing down as Wales boss in 2022 after domestic abuse charges were levelled against him. He denied the allegations and all charges were dropped after his former partner refused to give evidence at a retrial in 2023. He stood down as director of football at League Two Salford City, the club he used to part own, earlier this year.

“I am a bit biased,” said Giggs. “I was a winger who liked to make things happen and excite the fans.

“Sir Alex [Ferguson] used to say ‘give the guy who works in the factory something to smile about’.

“I liked to pass it forward, to run and try a difficult ball with the outside of my foot knowing the manager wasn’t necessarily going to have a go at me.”

While the current generation are highly skilled and technical, the criticism is that their individuality has been taken away by micro-management, in an era when every positional change is detailed and coaches are a constant presence on the sidelines telling players where to go.

Grealish’s experience is often cited as an example – a player who arrived at Manchester City from Aston Villa in 2021 as a British record signing, capable of the kind of magic Giggs possessed, but then had his ‘off-the-cuff’ style taken away by Pep Guardiola’s demand for possession.

“You don’t like to go back to your time, but it does look a bit strangled with certain quality players,” added Giggs.

“There are some, like Josh King at Fulham, and Martin Odegaard, who get me excited as well, so it is not everyone but yes, from when I first started, I think it is a bit more robotic, with the patterns of play and more defensive minded teams.”

Related topics

  • Premier League
  • Football

More on this story

    • 15 August
    A graphic of Premier League players from every team in the division in 2025-26 season, with the Premier League trophy in front of them.
    • 16 August
    BBC Sport microphone and phone