Transformer Explosion Kills Two Prison Inmates, Injures Others In Akwa Ibom

An explosion from a faulty transformer located near the Akwa Ibom State Custodial Centre has reportedly killed two inmates awaiting trial and injured two others.

The incident, which occurred a fortnight ago, caused a blackout throughout the period and damaged electrical appliances in the centre.

According to reports, the high-voltage wire snapped and dropped directly on a portion of the custodial facility, causing an electrocution that led to the death of the inmates.

Meanwhile, the Akwa Ibom State Controller of Corrections, Frank Okonkwo, who confirmed the tragic passing of the two awaiting-trial inmates of the Uyo Custodial Centre on Thursday, described the incident as unfortunate.

Okonkwo, who regretted that the explosion also damaged all electrical appliances at the centre, disclosed that the victims were thrown up from where they were sitting and were later rushed to the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital by the facility’s doctor, where they were pronounced dead.

READ ALSO: ‘I Can’t Sit In Office While Govt Officials Are Attacked’, Wike Defends Clash With Naval Officer

He disclosed that the victims were awaiting trial for conspiracy, kidnapping, and armed robbery, noting, however, that they were presumed innocent until proven otherwise by the court.

He said the families had been contacted and that one of them had concluded the process for the retrieval of the corpse, adding that the command would only release the corpses upon completion of investigations.

According to him, “It was very unfortunate, because the thing caused a lot of damage, both to our facility and the families of the deceased.

“When that explosion occurred at the transformer, officials of PHEDC came and said the explosion was a result of too much voltage. The thing affected us in that it actually destroyed or damaged all electrical appliances, computers, etc., in our facility.

“It affected our barracks as well, and even the official residence of the officer in charge. But the most painful aspect of it was that it affected two of our inmates, who finally lost their lives as they were rushed to the hospital.

“They were thrown off from where they were staying, and immediately our medical personnel administered first aid, and rushed them to the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital, where they were later confirmed dead.

“It was a big loss, both to themselves and to the inmates, especially when they were just awaiting trial. One of them was standing trial for conspiracy and kidnapping, the other one for armed robbery.”

The controller, who recalled that the same transformer was faulty a few years back, called on the relevant authorities to address the issue to forestall a recurrence.

He added that the legal department was investigating the matter and would present a comprehensive report accordingly.

He also disclosed plans by the Command to organise a rehabilitation and empowerment programme for inmates who had gone through rehabilitation, saying such inmates had acquired some skills and would be given start-up packs to enable them to be fully integrated when they were eventually discharged into the larger society.

According to him, the programme would enable them to be useful to themselves as well as to the community, so that they would not have any cause to reoffend and return to the custodial centre again.

“We are looking at 30 for now because the financing is going to be huge, because we relying mainly on the goodwill of our donors and organisations, those who have acquired various skills while in our custody, different skills like tailoring, carpentry, barbing and welding, and we intend to draw the beneficiaries from various custodial centres — Uyo, Ikot Abasi, Ikot Ekpene and Eket.

“Those who are serving terms but are on the verge of being discharged between now and December are convicts who have successfully accepted our treatment regime by getting themselves usefully engaged when they were in our custody. Those are the ones we want to show appreciation to by organising this programme.”

Tinubu Urges Defence College To Drive National Development

President Bola Tinubu has urged participants of the National Defence College to promote inclusive governance and drive Nigeria’s national development.

The President made the call on Thursday while receiving Course 33 participants of the College at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Tinubu said his administration remains committed to building a productive nation by harnessing its human, material, and intellectual potential.

He said Nigeria must harness its human, material, and intellectual potential to achieve industrialisation, peace, and prosperity.

“It is our joint responsibility to ensure that this nation is productive and governed inclusively,” President Tinubu said in a statement signed by his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga.

READ ALSO: NDC Assures Tinubu Of Research To Combat Security Threats

He stressed the need for resilience and patriotism in building a prosperous and secure nation.

“We must look further into the horizon, train our people, develop our economy, and promote industrial development,” he added.

The President said his administration would continue to empower defence and military institutions to produce well-trained officers for national security and stability.

He praised the National Defence College for its research and intellectual contributions to policy formulation.

“We must develop future strategic leaders with knowledge and analytical skills to enhance national power,” Tinubu stated.

He also commended the participants for their patriotism and commitment throughout the programme.

Tinubu also acknowledged the presentation of the course’s research paper titled ‘Harnessing Indigenous Manufacturing for Enhanced National Security by Year 2040.’

He assured the team that his administration would carefully study their recommendations for possible implementation.

The President, however, urged patience regarding the development of the college’s permanent site, which began in 2010.

Commandant of the College, Rear Admiral A. Ahmed, informed the President that the institution, established in 1992, is Nigeria’s highest professional military educational body.

He said Course 33 comprised 99 participants, including officers from the Army, Navy, Air Force, Police, and Ministries, Departments, and Agencies.

Nigerians Must Respect Armed Forces, Lawan Reacts To Wike’s Clash With Naval Officer

Former President of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan, has called on Nigerians to show utmost respect for the country’s armed forces, following the recent altercation between the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and a naval officer in Abuja.

Speaking to journalists after meeting President Bola Tinubu at the State House, Abuja, Lawan commended the armed forces for their sacrifices and commitment to national security.

Lawan said Nigerians, regardless of social or political status, must recognise the selflessness of the military.

“Let me commend our armed forces and other security agencies for doing so much for us, to protect our lives and property.

“They deserve our respect. They deserve our support at all times. This administration is giving a lot of funds to the armed forces and other security agencies, and I believe the next thing is to insist on getting returns from the investments we make,” he said.

READ ALSO: ‘I Can’t Sit In Office While Govt Officials Are Attacked’, Wike Defends Clash With Naval Officer

He praised the military’s dedication and urged citizens to appreciate their efforts in safeguarding national unity.

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike exchanging words with a soldier over a land on Tuesday, November 11, 2025.

“But Nigerians, regardless of our status, must respect our armed forces. I have worked closely with them. They are doing a very good job. We need to give them a pat on the back and continue to support them,” Lawan said.

Lawan’s remarks come amid controversy surrounding a confrontation between FCT Minister Nyesom Wike and a naval officer over a disputed parcel of land in Abuja’s Gaduwa District.

The altercation, which was captured on video, quickly went viral, showing Wike exchanging words with military personnel guarding a site allegedly linked to a former Chief of Naval Staff.

FCT officials had reportedly gone to halt an unauthorised construction when soldiers blocked them from entering the site. The minister, who later arrived, accused the officers of impunity and misuse of power.

Wike Defends Action

Addressing the incident on Thursday, Wike said he intervened because government officials were assaulted during a lawful operation. He described the deployment of soldiers by a retired officer as “an abuse of authority.”

“How can I sit as a minister when government officials are being attacked and beaten up, officials at the level of directors? And I’ll just sit in my office doing what?” he asked.

Wike stressed that no one was above the law, warning against the use of security personnel for personal gain.

“You have no document. We cannot continue to act in impunity. You cannot be higher than any government. You cannot be carrying a gun to intimidate anybody. I am not one of those they can intimidate,” he told the officer.

The minister insisted that the FCT Administration had no record of legal allocation for the disputed land.

“It’s really unfortunate. I don’t understand how somebody who attained that position, seeing that he has a problem, cannot approach my office. Simply because he is a military man, they could use that to intimidate Nigerians. I’m not one of those kinds of people who will succumb to blackmail,” Wike said.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Defence, Mohammed Badaru, has reacted the incident, stating that any officer on “lawful duty” would be protected.

Bill To Curb Debt Dependence Scales Second Reading In Senate

The Senate has passed a bill to establish the Chartered Institute of Revenue and Fiscal Management, a proposed legislation which is a major step toward addressing Nigeria’s chronic dependence on debt to finance its annual budgets and the country’s weak revenue mobilisation framework.

Presenting the lead debate, Senator Adamu Aliero, noted that Nigeria’s fiscal challenges, marked by persistent revenue shortfalls, leakages and inefficiencies have been compounded by inadequate capacity in revenue forecasting and fiscal governance.

READ ALSO: Senate Moves To Ban Child Soldiers As Armed Forces Bill Passes Second Reading

The Bill, titled a Bill for an Act to establish the Chartered Institute of Revenue and Fiscal Management of Nigeria (CIRFMAN), a professional body dedicated to the advancement of Nigeria’s revenue administration, promote fiscal discipline and ensure greater efficiency, investor confidence, transparency and accountability in public financial management.

Police Rescue 17 Minors, Arrest Three Suspected Traffickers In Kaduna

The Kaduna State Police Command has arrested three suspected child traffickers and rescued seventeen underage children in Zaria Local Government Area.

The Command’s Public Relations Officer, Mansir Hassan, in a statement, said the suspects were apprehended following credible intelligence on the suspicious movement of some children under the Danmagaji Flyover in Zaria.

He explained that police detectives from the Danmagaji Division swiftly swung into action, leading to the rescue of seventeen children of various ages who were allegedly being prepared for trafficking to Abuja and other parts of the country and beyond.

The police identified the three members of the syndicate as Musa Shuaibu from Katsina State, Sani Mamman, also from Katsina, and Mubarak Ismail from Kano State, who were arrested in connection with the crime.

READ ALSO: Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner In Taraba, Recover AK-47 Rifle

According to the PPRO, the suspects, upon interrogation, confessed to having brought the children from different locations and were in the process of transporting them to Abuja and beyond before their arrest.

He added that all the rescued children are in good health and currently under the care and protection of the Police Command, while efforts are ongoing to locate and reunite them with their parents or guardians.

The Kaduna State Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Muhammad, commended the operatives of the Danmagaji Division for their swift and decisive action, reiterating the Command’s zero tolerance for child trafficking and exploitation.

He also advised parents not to allow themselves to be deceived or lured by syndicates promising their children a “greener posture” in the cities.

The Commissioner assured that the suspects would be thoroughly investigated and prosecuted upon completion of the investigation.

NDC Assures Tinubu Of Research To Combat Security Threats

The National Defence College (NDC) of Nigeria has assured President Bola Tinubu that it will continue researching emerging security challenges in the country and present its strategic findings to the government.

The Commandant of the college, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Ahmed, gave the assurance when the president hosted participants of NDC Course 33 at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday.

The participants included 25 from the Nigerian Army, 16 from the Navy, 12 from the Air Force, five from the Police, 18 from ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs), and 23 international officers from countries including Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Congo Brazzaville, Egypt, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Morocco, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, India, Nepal, and Brazil.

In a briefing to the president on the major activities of Course 33, Rear Admiral Ahmed said the participants were trained on “Strengthening Institutions for National Security and Development in Nigeria” and tasked with researching “Harnessing Indigenous Manufacturing for Enhanced National Security and Development: Strategic Options for Nigeria by 2040.”

READ ALSO: Police Rescue 17 Minors, Arrest Three Suspected Traffickers In Kaduna

According to him, the topic aligns with the president’s Renewed Hope Agenda, particularly his drive to diversify the economy, boost local production, and enhance national security.

Rear Admiral Ahmed also sought the president’s intervention to complete the college’s permanent site along the Abuja Airport Road, describing it as a strategic national project that has remained unfinished since 2010.

“The college currently operates from its temporary site in the Central Business District due to the non-completion of its permanent site. We respectfully seek Your Excellency’s kind intervention to complete this strategic national institution to allow participants to dedicate more time to study and professional development,” he said.

The Commandant commended President Tinubu for hosting the delegation despite his busy schedule managing state affairs.

Rear Admiral Ahmed explained that the National Defence College, established in 1993 and originally known as the National War College, is Nigeria’s top military institution for professional and strategic leadership training.

He added that the college prepares senior officers from the Armed Forces, the Nigeria Police Force, and key ministries, departments, and agencies for higher responsibilities in national security and policy formulation.