Spotify Says Active Users Up 11% In Fourth Quarter To 751mn

Music streaming giant Spotify said Tuesday that its number of monthly active users reached 751 million at the end of its fourth quarter, with the number of premium paying subscribers reaching 290 million.

In the fourth quarter, the company said it added “a record 38 million” monthly active users (MAUs), beating its projections of 32 million.

“It’s incredible to think that we now serve over three-quarters of a billion people around the world,”  co-chief executive Alex Norstrom said in a statement.

Norstrom said that in the fourth quarter, Spotify “met or exceeded guidance across all key metrics”.

Spotify founder Daniel Ek left the role as CEO at the start of 2026, handing over the reins to co-CEOs Norstrom and Gustav Soderstrom.

READ ALSO: Chappell Roan Leaves Talent Agency After CEO Named In Epstein Files

But Ek retains an active role in the management as executive chairman.

The addition of nine million paying subscribers also exceeded the company’s guidance by one million, it said.

Spotify also reported a fourth-quarter revenue of 4.5 billion euros ($5.4 billion), up seven percent compared to the same period a year earlier.

For the full year of 2025, it reported a revenue of 17.2 billion euros.

Net profit for the fourth quarter was 1.2 billion euros, up from 367 million euros a year earlier.

Chappell Roan Leaves Talent Agency After CEO Named In Epstein Files

US singer-songwriter Chappell Roan announced on Monday that she had left her talent agency, after its CEO was named in files related to late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

The Epstein Files Transparency Act (EFTA), passed overwhelmingly by Congress in November, compelled the Department of Justice (DOJ) to release all of the documents in its possession related to the disgraced financier.

Roan, 27, had been represented by “Wasserman,” an agency that boasts a number of high-profile clients, including Adam Sandler and Brad Pitt, and is led by Casey Wasserman, who is also the chairman of the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

In an Instagram post on Monday, Roan said that “no artist, agent or employee should be expected to defend or overlook actions that conflict so deeply with our own moral values.”

“I have deep respect and appreciation for the agents and staff who work tirelessly for their artists and I refuse to stand by,” she added.

The Grammy winner noted that “artists deserve representation that aligns with their values” and the decision “reflects my belief that meaningful change in our industry requires accountability and leadership that earns trust.”

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – FEBRUARY 01: (FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY) Chappell Roan attends the 68th GRAMMY Awards at Crypto.com Arena on February 01, 2026 in Los Angeles, California. Amy Sussman/Getty Images/AFP (Photo by Amy Sussman / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Getty Images via AFP)

Roan made no mention of Epstein himself or the Epstein files in the statement announcing her departure from the talent agency.

Wasserman in a statement last month acknowledged what appeared to be a series of flirty and sexually suggestive emails he exchanged in 2003 with Ghislaine Maxwell.

Maxwell was sentenced to two decades in prison in 2022 for her role in a scheme to sexually exploit and abuse multiple minor girls with Epstein.

Wasserman, 51, who was married at the time of his flirtations with Maxwell, has not been accused of any wrongdoing in the Epstein scandal, which has dogged US President Donald Trump’s administration.

960 Music Group Sues To Void Multi-Million Dollar Burna Boy Catalogue

A legal war has begun over the ownership of celebrity singer Burna Boy’s early musical catalogue, pitting his former label and his current management against each other in a series of fraud allegations and alleged backroom deals.

READ ALSO: Burna Boy Ahead Of Davido, Wizkid In Nigeria, Globally — 2Baba

At the heart of the dispute is a transaction allegedly carried out in mid-2024 that has now triggered both a criminal investigation and high-stakes lawsuits in the Federal High Court of Lagos and Port Harcourt.

Spaceship Vs 960 Music

The conflict began in May/June 2024, when Aristokrat Music, the label that launched Burna Boy’s career in 2011, allegedly sold the artist’s historical intellectual property (IP) and master recordings to his current imprint, Spaceship Music, which is led by Burna Boy and his mother, Bose Ogulu.

However, 960 Music Group, which owns a 40 per cent equity stake in Aristokrat Music, claims the sale was illegal.

In a move that has sent shockwaves through the industry, 960 Music approached a court in Port Harcourt to declare the sale null and void.

They argue that as major shareholders, the sale of the company’s ‘crown jewel, assets was finalised without their knowledge, consent, or board approval.

Criminal Allegations

Beyond the civil suit, the matter has turned into a police case.

The Force Criminal Investigation Department FCID has officially filed charges against Piriye Isokrari, the founder of Aristokrat Records, following an intensive investigation into allegations of financial misconduct and fraud levelled against 960 Music Group.

Isokrari is accused of alleged fraudulent conversion, that he diverted the proceeds from the multi-million dollar sale for personal use or redirected them away from the company’s official accounts.

The CEO is also accused of a breach of fiduciary duty.

960 Music claims the CEO bypassed corporate governance to strike a “private deal” with Spaceship Music, effectively “selling out” the interests of his partners at 960 Music.

‘Bring Those Assets Back’

An unnamed executive at 960 Music stated that the firm was left with no choice but to involve the authorities.

“You cannot sell 100 per cent of an asset when you only have the authority to manage the company, not bypass the owners of 40 per cent of its soul. This was a coordinated effort to move the IP under the radar, and we are asking the court to bring those assets back,” the executive said

The dispute may create an adverse legal liability.

For Burna Boy, a 2021 Grammy Award winner for the Best Global Music Album, the situation is a double-edged sword.

While the 2024 deal was likely intended to give him total control over his early masters—a goal for many global superstars—the alleged procedural failures by Aristokrat have placed those masters in legal limbo.

Bad Bunny Celebrates Puerto Rico At Super Bowl

Puerto Rican superstar Bad Bunny on Sunday turned the Super Bowl into a giant street party, emphasizing unity over division in his groundbreaking Spanish-language set — but still earning President Donald Trump’s scorn.

Anticipation was high for the 31-year-old’s set, amid rampant speculation about whether he would use his platform to renew his criticism of the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown in front of tens of millions of viewers.

But the wildly popular musician, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martinez Ocasio, instead made good on his pre-game promise to joyously share his culture — and largely avoided overt political statements in favor of subtle messaging through symbols.

In a set featuring a sugar cane plantation, a traditional “piragua” cart selling treats, and even a wedding, he opened with “Titi Me Pregunto” and feminist anthem “Yo Perreo Sola,” with a cast of dancers fueling the party atmosphere.

Actors Pedro Pascal and Jessica Alba, and rapper Cardi B were among the guest stars vibing in his familiar “La Casita” backdrop, representing a home in Puerto Rico.

Bad Bunny wore an all-white ensemble, with a football jersey featuring the number “64” and “Ocasio,” before donning a classy suit jacket.

He delved into more political territory with “El Apagon” (Blackout), which touches on the displacement of Puerto Ricans on their own island, and the constant problems caused by the unreliable power grid. He carried a Puerto Rican flag at one point.

The performance also included a young boy watching the Grammys on an old television set. Bad Bunny, who won the Album of the Year prize a week ago, presented the child — perhaps a younger version of himself — with a golden gramophone.

The internet went wild with unverified rumors that the child was Liam Conejo Ramos, a five-year-old Ecuadoran boy recently detained by US immigration agents in Minnesota.

An NFL spokesman confirmed to AFP that the boy was an actor, and an Instagram post seemingly from the child in question, Lincoln Fox, was hashtagged #youngbadbunny.

Surprise musical guests included Lady Gaga, who sang a Latin-inflected version of her hit “Die with a Smile” — the only English lyrics in the show — and Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin.

‘Affront’ 

At the Grammys, Bad Bunny made a searing statement about Trump’s sweeping immigration crackdown, earning cheers for saying “ICE out” from the stage.

But on Sunday, he did not call out the Republican president.

At the end of the set, after listing Latin American countries, Puerto Rico, the United States and Canada, Bad Bunny spiked a football that said “Together, we are America.”

A giant screen in the stadium read: “The only thing more powerful than hate is love.”

Trump nevertheless quickly took issue with the performance, saying: “Nobody understands a word this guy is saying” — even though government data shows more than 41 million Americans speak Spanish.

Posting on his Truth Social account, he called the show “an affront to the Greatness of America.”

Early Backlash

Bad Bunny has been Spotify’s most-streamed artist in the world four separate times, including last year, and won Album of the Year at the Grammys with “Debi Tirar Mas Fotos” — the first Spanish-language work to win music’s highest accolade.

But the decision to showcase his work at the Super Bowl in California was met with conservative outrage — specifically about the idea that he would not sing in English.

The NFL entered into an agreement in 2019 with Jay-Z’s entertainment company Roc Nation, which leads the league’s entertainment strategy.

Since that time, the list of Super Bowl headliners included Jennifer Lopez and Shakira (with a guest spot for Bad Bunny), but the duo did not perform exclusively in Spanish, leaving Bad Bunny to set that benchmark.

From Vega Baja to Super Bowl

Bad Bunny grew up in Vega Baja, a small municipality near Puerto Rico’s capital San Juan.

He was working at a supermarket bagging groceries when he got a call from a label over his viral plays on the DIY platform SoundCloud.

Thus began the reggaeton star’s rapid explosion to the top of global music.

Late last year, Bad Bunny released “Debi Tirar Mas Fotos,” a history lesson in Puerto Rican music that he promoted with a hometown concert residency in San Juan and a world tour.

In Puerto Rico, a US territory since 1898, there was nothing but pride for the island’s native son.

Finance, Investment Stalling Large-Scale Action Movies In Nigeria — Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde

Veteran Nollywood actress and filmmaker, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, has identified inadequate financing and limited investment as major factors hindering the production of large-scale action films in Nigeria.

The award-winning actress made the remarks during an interview on Rubbin’ Minds on Channels Television, where she addressed concerns about whether Nigerian filmmakers are reluctant to tell certain stories.

Omotola, whose career spans more than three decades, dismissed the notion that fear limits storytelling in Nollywood, saying the real challenge lies in funding.

“I don’t think Nigerians [filmmakers] are afraid to tell any story. I think the problem is we don’t have finance, we don’t have money, and we don’t have enough investment.

“So naturally, it seems to be fear, because you don’t want to do stuff and then look funny doing it, like you’re not doing it right. I’d say we’ve not gone into serious action films. We’ve been doing it on a low scale because it is very capital-intensive.”

READ ALSO: We Need Leaders Who Are Willing To Die For Nigeria — Omotola Jalade Ekeinde

To illustrate her point, the actress cited her long-term work on a major historical project centred on the 1993 hijacking incident.

“For example, the Hijack ’93 story, I think I was the first person that got that story. I have been working on it for the past seven years and had the rights to that story.

“But I won’t shoot it until I have the right finances to shoot it, because I know what it takes to shoot such a story,” she explained.

According to her, filmmaking should go beyond simply producing content and instead aim to present Nigeria credibly on the global stage.

“For me, it’s not just about shooting. It’s about putting Nigeria on the map,” she said.

The actress also spoke on sex-for-roles, urging women to speak up and avoid secret auditions.

Nollywood has grown through three eras: the VHS/CD Era, focused on quick, low-budget films; the Cinema Era, which brought higher production values to theatres; and today’s Global Era, where streaming platforms put Nigerian films on the world stage.

But filmmakers have often said the industry’s biggest challenge is financing, with high production costs, middleman cuts, and expensive loans.

Meanwhile, top filmmakers are driving the industry forward: Funke Akindele, Toyin Abraham, and Wumi Toriola dominate the box office; Kunle Afolayan, Kemi Adetiba, and Niyi Akinmolayan raise production standards; while Mo Abudu, Omoni Oboli, and Ruth Kadiri expand Nigeria’s reach through streaming and digital platforms.



Mother’s Love, Directorial Debut

Shedding light on her new film, Mother’s Love, Omotola described the project as an unexpected but deeply personal journey that pushed her far beyond her comfort zone.

“We’ve done very strong festivals for a movie that I didn’t think was going to amount to anything, because I didn’t plan for this film.

“I came on vacation, and this amazing human being called Ruth Kadiri got into my head to just shoot something. I was so scared because I knew I didn’t do pre-production, which is the most important part of filmmaking,” she said.

Despite her initial fears, she said the positive reception of the film encouraged her to continue, even in the face of personal and professional challenges, including health issues.

“When I was done with the project, people started giving me the thumbs-up and saying it was beautiful, and little by little, we started doing things. It is out of my comfort zone. It’s my first time shooting a movie in my 31 years in the industry.

“This one came with a lot of challenges, from canvassing, to looking at the maths, the numbers and commerciality. I even went into surgery in the middle of this,” she said.

The 48-year-old movie star described Mother’s Love as a personal gift rather than a commercial venture.

“For me, Mother’s Love is a gift to mothers and to daughters. It’s not about commerciality. If anything comes back, it’s a plus.

“The cake for me is that 30 years into my career, I get to give this gift to my fans the way I want to do it. For the first time, I’m using my brain fully, everything here is my creativity,” she said.

The film is scheduled to begin its cinema run on March 6.

Although Omotola has starred in over 300 films during her illustrious career, Mother’s Love marks her first time stepping behind the camera as a director. She also served as producer and script editor on the project.

According to her, the film was inspired by encouragement from actress Ruth Kadiri to explore digital and YouTube-driven storytelling, and reflects Omotola’s personal experiences as both a mother and a daughter.

Burna Boy Ahead Of Davido, Wizkid In Nigeria, Globally — 2Baba

Nigerian music legend Innocent Idibia, popularly known as 2Baba or Tuface, has stirred fresh debate within the Afrobeats community after describing Burna Boy as the leading Nigerian artist ahead of Davido and Wizkid.

The ‘African Queen’ crooner offered his perspective on the current hierarchy of Nigeria’s biggest music stars.

While noting that all three artists have produced songs he enjoys, 2Baba said Burna Boy currently operates on a different musical level.

“I have my favourite songs from each, from all of them. But my own, if I must be put on the spot to say something, I think Burna is on top of the game right now,” he said on Mic On Podcast.

2Baba cautioned against direct comparisons between artists, describing such debates as unfair and subjective, likening musicians to painters who create distinct works of art.

“Different artists have different styles. There’s nothing like this one sing pass. Different people have different tastes in what they want and what they like,” he explained.

READ ALSO: Comparing Fela With Wizkid Is Ridiculous, Disrespectful – 2Baba

He added that his assessment was not based on commercial success or personal achievements, but on his understanding of the global music landscape.

“I’m going into a general aspect of this. I don’t know their bank accounts. I don’t have any information about their personal successes or all that. So I can’t speak on that.

“But from what I can measure from at least common sense and understanding of the music world, I think right now Burna is at the top of this chain.

“Not just in Nigeria, in Africa, in the world. He’s on that,  but everybody’s doing fantastically well,” the singer said.

Burna Boy, Davido and Wizkid are widely regarded as the “Big Three” of Nigerian Afrobeats and have long been compared over who holds the title of the country’s leading artist.

Afrobeats, a contemporary genre distinct from the Afrobeat pioneered by the late Fela Anikulapo Kuti, has grown into a global sound over the years.

Early contributors such as D’banj and Timaya helped lay the foundation, while artists including Wizkid, Davido and Tiwa Savage propelled the genre onto the international stage.

In recent years, acts such as Burna Boy, Tems, Rema, Asake and Ayra Starr have further expanded Afrobeats’ global reach, earning major international recognition and award nominations.

Burna Boy, Davido, Wizkid and Ayra Starr were all nominated at the most recent Grammy Awards, although they were edged out by South African star Tyla.

Despite its growing influence worldwide, Afrobeats continues to face scrutiny over whether it rivals the global dominance of genres such as pop, hip-hop and Latin music.

Another recurring criticism is the perceived lack of unity among Nigeria’s top artists. Unlike Latin music stars, who frequently collaborate, leading Afrobeats acts have largely operated independently.