- Around 160 tastemakers voted for their favourite new acts, with the artists then ranked according to the number of votes cast.
- The tastemakers included DJs, music critics and TV, radio and web producers, plus artists including Billie Eilish, Stormzy, Foals, Charli XCX and AJ Tracey.
- A longlist of 10 was announced in December, with the top five revealed this week.
- Previous winners include Celeste, Sigrid, Years & Years, Sam Smith, Michael Kiwanuka, Ellie Goulding and Adele.
- Find out more about the Sound of 2021
Sound of 2021 – the rest of the top five
- 2. Radio-friendly singer-songwriter Holly Humberstone
- 3. Twilight troubadour Berwyn
- 4. Psychedelic soul singer Greentea Peng
- 5. Bedroom pop star Griff
- Watch performances from the top five
- What happened to the class of 2020?