Newport County shocked Championship side Watford to reach the EFL Cup fourth round for the first time.
Adalberto Penaranda’s penalty gave Watford hope but Padraig Amond capitalised on Daniel Phillips’ mistake to restore the two-goal cushion.
Watford substitute Stipe Perica was sent off late on for elbowing Cooper.
As the Hornets were left to reflect on a miserable night in south Wales, finishing with 10 men and losing to a side who were three divisions below them last season, Newport can look ahead to a home fourth-round tie against Morecambe or Newcastle United.
It is a second Championship scalp of the campaign for County, who beat Swansea 2-0 in the first round thanks to Abrahams’ double strike, before overcoming Cambridge United by a single goal in round two.
Newport County manager Michael Flynn:
“I thought it was a fantastic performance. We’ve outplayed a Championship club who have just come down from the Premier League.
“I can’t be any more proud of my players than I already am.
“We moved the ball really well, played some fantastic football and we created a lot of chances. We created far more than what Watford did.”
- 4LabadieBooked at 42minsSubstituted forCollinsat 82′minutes
- 17BennettBooked at 80minsSubstituted forWillmottat 82′minutes
- 45AgyakwaBooked at 40mins
- 33PussettoBooked at 76minsSubstituted forCrichlowat 84′minutes
- 44HungboSubstituted forPeñarandaat 45′minutesBooked at 62mins
- 47StevensonBooked at 17mins
- 17MurraySubstituted forPericaat 45′minutesBooked at 88mins
- Charles Breakspear