Kyrgios says abdominal strain ‘not too serious’

Kyrgios says abdominal strain ‘not too serious’

Getty Images

Nick Kyrgios claims that the abdominal strain that made him withdraw from an exhibition match is “not too serious” and that he is working out to the best of his ability to win the Australian Open.

Novak Djokovic and the 29-year-old were scheduled to participate in the exhibition on Thursday, but he claimed an ultrasound revealed a grade one strain.

He claimed that the first-round defeat at the Brisbane International had left him in “throbbing” pain after playing his first singles game in 18 months last week.

However, speaking to Australia’s 7News on Wednesday, Kyrgios said he “knows his body” and will take precautions so he can appear at the first Grand Slam of the year, which starts in Melbourne on Sunday.

“I’ve still got five days up my sleeve”, said Kyrgios.

I’ve got a few practices scheduled, so I’ll probably not be able to serve for the next few days.

Kyrgios, who is aiming to resume his career following knee and wrist surgeries, made his competitive comeback in the men’s doubles in Brisbane alongside 24-time major winner Djokovic.

Related topics

  • Tennis
234Radio

234Radio is Africa's Premium Internet Radio that seeks to export Africa to the rest of the world.