The ceasefire in Gaza between Israel and Hamas will take effect at 08: 30am (06: 30 GMT) on Sunday, Qatar’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson announced in a post on X.
“Based on the agreement between the parties… the ceasefire in the Gaza Strip will begin at 8: 30am on Sunday. We advise our brothers to take precautions, exercise the utmost caution, and await instructions from official sources”, spokesperson Majed al-Ansari said in a tweet on Saturday.
Earlier on Saturday, the Israeli government ratified the agreement after meeting for more than six hours, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said in a brief statement.
After more than 460 days of fighting, where did Israeli forces kill more than 46, 788 Palestinians, and 110 other wounded, was approved, the deal was signed. In exchange for hundreds of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel, it would result in the release of 33 of Gaza’s captives over the course of the next six weeks.
The remainder, including male soldiers, are to be released in a second phase that will be negotiated during the first.
Without a long-lasting ceasefire and a complete Israeli withdrawal, Hamas has stated that it will not release the captives who are still being held captive.
“All eyes are now on Gaza to see what the Israeli military is going to do in these final hours, because historically, before any sort of ceasefire deal, the Israeli military pounds the Gaza Strip with all of its might”, said Al Jazeera’s Hamdah Salhut, reporting from Jordan.
“There’s going to be a lot of fear and anxiety”.
Leader of the Lebanese group Hezbollah, Naim Qassem, congratulated the Palestinians for reaching the deal, saying it proved the “persistence of resistance” against Israel.
He claimed that the agreement, which was unchangeable from the proposals from May 2024, demonstrates the persistence of resistance groups, which sought what they desired while refusing to accept what it sought.
In November, Hezbollah and Israel reached a ceasefire deal in a conflict parallel to Israel’s war on Gaza.
Gaza continues to be attacked by Israelis.
In Gaza, meanwhile, Israeli forces have kept up heavy attacks.
Five people were killed in the “humanitarian zone” west of Khan Younis in the south of the enclave, according to doctors in Gaza after an Israeli airstrike early on Saturday morning.
A man from the Qudra family was killed in the attack along with his wife and their three children, according to the Palestinian Wafa news agency.
Three Palestinian civilians were also killed by an Israeli drone strike in the Tuffah neighborhood, east of Gaza City, late on Friday, according to Wafa.
Since the Israeli ceasefire agreement was announced on Wednesday, there have been at least 119 Palestinian deaths.
Source: Aljazeera
Leave a Reply