Garcia beats Barrios to claim WBC welterweight title

Garcia beats Barrios to claim WBC welterweight title

Lorraine McKenna

BBC Sport journalist

Ryan Garcia secured his first major title with a dominant unanimous decision victory over Mario Barrios to become the new WBC welterweight champion.

The 27-year-old American knocked down compatriot Barrios with a right hand during the first 30 seconds of the opening round in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Garcia, a former interim lightweight champion, was in control for the full 12 rounds and won with scores of 119-108, 120-107 and 118-109.

In his post-fight interview, Garcia called out newly crowned WBO super-lightweight champion Shakur Stevenson, who was in attendance at T-Mobile Arena.

Fellow American Stevenson, 28, smiled, nodded his head and clapped as Garcia added: “I want to be a great champion, I’m not scared.

“I fought Devin Haney. I’ll fight you, Shakur Stevenson. I’ll fight anybody.”

Garcia was then told Stevenson had said he was “levels above” him right now, to which he replied: “You’ve got to have some type of punching power to get me off you, because it’ll just be a different style – and I’m not going to hit him light.”

Garcia was given a one-year ban for failing a drugs test in 2024 after beating Haney, with the victory overturned and the fight recorded as a ‘no contest’.

The win for Garcia was his first since a shock points loss to Rolando Romero last year and improves his record to 25 victories and two defeats.

Related topics

  • Boxing
    • 1 day ago
    Leigh Wood and Josh Warrington go head-to-head for a face-off
    • 28 April 2024
    Split image of Claressa Shields, Paddy Pimblett and Chris Eubank Jr

More boxing from the BBC

    • 16 August 2025
    BBC Sport microphone and phone
Source: BBC
234Radio

234Radio is Africa's Premium Internet Radio that seeks to export Africa to the rest of the world.