Niger Attack: CAN Debunks Reports On ₦3bn Ransom Demand By Gunmen

The state chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Niger State Chapter, has refuted reports that the 315 students and staff at the St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools, Papiri, in the state’s Agwarra local government area, demanded $ 3 billion in cash before the victims could be freed.

Most, the most senior member of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Niger State chapter. Rev. The Kontagora Diocese Catholic Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna provided the update on Saturday.

After the incident, the gunmen continued to communicate with no one, according to him.

“You are familiar with social media. They will deceive you if you visit there. Even some of the things that are tossed around are usually official statements. I’m not aware. Bishop Bulus came to the conclusion that there is no further communication.

He had previously stated that 315 people had been abducted by suspected terrorists overall.

According to a breakdown of the most recently released data, 303 students and 12 teachers were affected.

After we left the Papiri school, Yohanna said, “We made calls, conduct a verification exercise, and conduct further inquiries on those we had assumed would have succeeded, only to discover that 88 more students had been seizing their opportunities after they attempted to flee.”

When some parents who we thought had escaped from the attack also came in and inquired about their children, we were drawn to their question. We conducted a census and discovered that they had been abducted when we became curious.

This now totals 315, bringing the total number of abducted people to 303 (male and female), including 12 teachers (4 females and 8 males).

Prior to the incident, he claimed there were 629 students total, with the primary having 430 and the secondary having 199.

Niger Attack: Abduction Toll Rises To 315 Students, Teachers CAN BE READ ALSO: [UPDATE]

He also addressed the idea that prior to the abduction there were intelligent reports, which were widely disproven.

“Also, it is absolutely necessary that we address the issue of security agency or government warnings, as some have claimed.

I visited the school this evening and met with the children’s parents to let them know that we are working with the government and security agencies to ensure that our children are rescued and brought back safely. I was insulted by what I call “propaganda” that the school had been given a prior warning by the government through a circular.

“It’s not true; there is no way to shift blame; it must be an afterthought and a tactic.” When we first learned about rumors of a security issue in the past, we immediately resisted. Do we now opine when the government issues a circular urging us to shut down?

The Federal Government has mandated the immediate closure of 41 Federal Unity Colleges in response to growing security concerns in the nation.

The Federal Ministry of Education issued the directive through a circular dated November 21, 2025.

According to the document, Tunji Alausa, the minister of education, praised the government’s decision to close schools in part because of “recent security issues” in some areas of the nation and the need to prevent breaches.

NCAA Demands Welfare, Refunds For Air Tanzania’s Stranded Passengers

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority has requested that Air Tanzania provide stranded passengers in Dar es Salaam and Lagos with welfare and refund packages in response to Air Tanzania’s inability to operate scheduled flights. &nbsp,

His stance came in response to a concern raised by some Nigerian travelers who are currently stranded in Dar es Salaam, including one who is required to meet with a visa officer on Monday.

According to Part 19 of the NCAA Regulations 2023, the NCAA’s Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, Michael Achimugu, said passengers who experience prolonged delays are entitled to hotel accommodations, meals, and regular updates.

If the airline couldn’t fly over the weekend, he advised the airline to offer refunds or rebook passengers on other airlines.

“While the NCAA is here to help you wherever you can, it would be greatly appreciated if you followed the rules.”

Your passengers understand that safety comes first, and we have explained the consequences of a technical fault to them. Give them the respect they deserve, he said.

The NCAA urged Air Tanzania to provide passengers with the same level of care for those who are stranded in Lagos as well for the outbound flight, noting that it has contacts with both people.

Read more about Abduction: The Niger government disputes its claim of prior warning.

In an update, Achimugu noted that the passengers had been given meals and accommodations after his initial post.

“Persons were eventually given a meal and hotel accommodations. Even though the airline does not typically fly to Nigeria by weekend, they have been assured that they will be flown today.

He declared, “We will keep monitoring the situation until the passengers arrive safely.”

Abduction: School Counters Niger Govt, Denies Claim Of Prior Warning

The Catholic Diocese of Kontagora refutes claims that St. Mary’s Catholic Schools in Papiri were subject to a security alert prior to Friday’s abduction by the state government.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) clarified the school’s position in a statement released on Saturday by Daniel Atori, the media assistant to Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna.

He claimed that it was necessary to address “the problem of prior warnings from either the government or security organizations.”

Bishop Yohanna added that he was “greeted with propaganda” because the government had issued a circular to the school, clarifying that the school belonged to the Catholic Diocese and not any individuals.

That is not accurate. No circular was sent to us. It must serve as a second thought and a method for shifting blame.

After meeting with parents and visiting the school, I recently returned to the village to let them know that the rescue efforts are still ongoing. When we first learned about rumors of security problems in 2022, we immediately stopped operating.

READ MORE: [UPDATED] Gunmen Abduct Students At School In Niger State

The bishop questioned why the school “would now ignore a government directive,” and questioned whether some Reverend Sisters had traveled to Abuja prior to the attack.

Yohanna claimed that the Education Secretary also confirmed that he had not received any circulars and had not issued any. The National Association of Private Schools, on the other hand, had not received any safety instructions.

The Education Secretary responded, “We asked if he had received a circular, and he replied that he had, or that he had declined to send any to us.” He declined to be informing us verbally, as we did when we asked if he had. Tell everyone in the world who received the circular and how it was sent.

We also contacted the National Association of Private Schools, but they were unsuccessful. They claimed the school was shut down and then reopened a few days later, which is also false. He claimed that we follow the law.

The attack was “deeply saddening and avoidable,” according to the Niger State government.

The government stated that security assessments were ongoing in a statement released by Abubakar Usman, the state government’s secretary.

Gov. Stance&nbsp

Niger
Governor of the Niger State, Umaru Bago (Facebook/Umaru Mohammed Bago).

Meanwhile, the state government reaffirmed that it had previously been informed of credible information about rising threats in the region.

It recommended the temporary closure of boarding schools in troubled areas and the suspension of construction works.

The SSG claimed that the alleged violation “exposed pupils and staff to severe risk” when St. Mary’s School “reopened without clearance and violated the safety directive.”

Search-and-rescue operations were intensified and security agencies launched a comprehensive investigation. The government stated that it was in constant communication with security forces.

It reiterated that protecting children remained the top priority and that it was up to school owners and community leaders to strictly follow security advisories.

Toll rises to 315

After further investigation, CAN confirmed a significant increase in the number of abducted students and teachers.

According to Bishop Yohanna, “there are now 303 victims (male and female), including 12 teachers (4 females and 8 males), bringing the total number of abductees to 315.”

“There are 629 pupils and students overall, with 430 in primary and 199 in secondary.” According to the statement, “We discovered that 88 more students were also captured after they attempted to flee.”

The latest in a line of schoolchildren’s abductions comes from the Niger attack.

He claimed that the confirmation came after “a thorough census” following earlier rumors that many students had fled.

He claimed that the parents’ inquiries revealed that several children who were previously believed to be safe were actually missing. Yohanna also made a calm appeal.

He said, “We will continue to work with security operatives and the government to ensure the safe return of all abductees.”

In the early hours of Friday, gunmen stormed St. Mary’s Primary and Secondary School. Sources claim that the attackers used a van and more than 60 motorcycles to transport them.

The gatekeeper at the school was reportedly shot, seriously hurt, by them. The Niger State Police Command later confirmed the abduction, according to a community source, and it took place between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m.

The Federal Government ordered Friday’s immediate closure of 41 Federal Unity Colleges out of concern for security.

Tunji Alausa, the minister of education, cited “recent security issues.” He gave the order. The ministry instructed the affected area’s leaders to put a stop to traffic. Other states have also acted similarly by closing schools.

The decision came after two other abductions occurred just this week.

In a Maga, Kebbi State, gunmen kidnapped 26 schoolgirls on Monday during an attack. When gunmen attacked the Christ Apostolic Church in Eruku, Kwara State on Tuesday, 38 people were kidnapped and two were killed, with the attackers demanding a $100 million ransom for each victim.

On Sunday night, the 25 schoolgirls were kidnapped.

On Friday, rising tensions also stoked false accusations of a Nasarawa abduction. According to the Nasarawa State Police Command, reports of two abducted pupils were “false and doomed.

In addition, President Bola Tinubu delayed his planned travels to Johannesburg and Angola and ordered Bello Matawalle, the minister of state for defense, to relocate to Kebbi in response to mounting calls.

Police Deploy Tactical Team To Ogun Community Over Viral Attack Video

Following a viral video that claimed herdsmen were planning an attack, the Obafemi-Owode Local Government has sent a tactical team to the Ajebo community.

Omolola Odutola, the Ogun Police Command’s public relations officer, assured the community that there was no imminent threat of attack in the area in a statement released on Friday.

In collaboration with Amotekun Corps, So-Safe Corps, Police Community Relations Committee (PCRC), local hunters, and Vigilante Group of Nigeria, the Commissioner of Police, Lanre Ogunlowo, deployed the Command’s tactical team, led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations, to conduct a thorough intelligence-led assessment of the security situation in the area, she said.

The Fulani settlers in Ajebo are long-established residents who coexist peacefully within the community, according to the operatives. No weapons or suspicious activity were found in the temporary shelters where the children and women were pictured.

The men had traveled to Oyo State for trading activities, which is in line with their usual economic pattern, and there were no adults present.

Read more about how police in Ogun rescue three victims of human trafficking.

Explosion
Ogun State on a map

A further examination of the settlement, according to the police spokesperson, revealed an additional, allegedly ten-year-old RUGA location.

She claimed that Rueben Oluwole, the region’s traditional ruler, was given permission to grant the settlers’ settlers land use as a source of clarification.

The Baale of Alapako, where another cluster of Fulani huts was located, has also been invited to meet with the Commissioner of Police, according to her.

The forest area, which is about 10 kilometers from the main community, is under constant surveillance from the combined team of security agencies. Because the settlers were discovered to be peaceful and unarmed, their presence is strictly precautionary.

Why Tinubu Is Yet To Visit US, Meet With Donald Trump — FG

When the “situation is right for him,” President Bola Tinubu will travel to the US to meet with President Donald Trump. &nbsp,

In response to Trump’s recent designation of Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern (CPC), Mohammed Idris, the minister of information and national orientation, said this on Friday in an interview with Channels Television’s Politics Today. &nbsp,

When the time comes for him to leave, “we believe that he will go to the US.” He has visited America, though. When he took office, I was with him at the UN,” Mohammed said on the current affairs program.

Read more about Trump’s declaration of Nigeria as a “country of particular concern,” and his claim that there is a mass murder of Christians is carried out.

Trump’s Threat, Tinubu’s Reaction

After Trump designated the West African nation as a CPC over what he characterized as the widespread slaughter of Christians, diplomatic tenses erupted between Nigeria and the US.

The US leader threatened military action in Nigeria if the country’s authorities failed to address the growing insecurity a day later.

Trump said in a revealing post on his Truth Social platform that “the United States will immediately stop all aid and assistance to Nigeria” and “won’t be able to go into that now disgraced country, “blazing” to completely eradicate the Islamic Terrorists who are committing these horrible atrocities.

“I hereby instruct our Department of War to get ready for possible action.” It will be swift, vicious, and sweet if we launch an attack.

diplomatic maneuvers

Nuhu Ribadu, the national security adviser to Nigeria, is greeted by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth. X/@SecWar is the credit.

The US president’s statement caused the country’s attention, but the Nigerian government has denied that Christians were killed intentionally.

Following Trump’s statement, President Tinubu said, “Nigeria is a country with constitutional guarantees to protect citizens of all faiths.”

The Nigerian government is currently negotiating with the US government through a powerful delegation headed by Nuhu Ribadu, the NSA’s representative in the country.

He claims that the move is a result of diplomatic efforts to improve relations between the two countries and win over the US government.

Idris claimed that the Federal Government is taking steps to improve security conditions despite the country’s security challenges.

CPC Designation is reviewed by the US Congress.

President Bola Tinubu and US Congressman Bill Huizenga

The US Congress held a public hearing on Trump’s designation of Nigeria as a CPC on Thursday, drawing attention to the country’s most populous nation’s current state of insecurity.

Nigeria is grappling with a wide range of security issues, including kidnapping for ransom and terrorism.

Senate Summons NCDMB Boss Over Alleged $14.8m Fraud

The Senate has summoned the executive secretary of the Nigerian content development and monitoring board (NCDMB), giving him two weeks to appear before the committee on local content in connection with an alleged $ 14.86 million fraud involving investments in Atlantic International refinery and petrochemical Ltd.

The NCDMB management agreed to provide the committee with full documentation of all transactions involving the alleged conspiracy and dishonest conversion of $14, 859, and 257 by December 2 following an interactive session held today.

Timipre Sylva, the former minister of state for petroleum resources, was recently identified as wanted in connection with the matter, according to recent reports from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The funds in question are allegedly the NCDMB’s investment in Atlantic refinery in order to build a refinery project, according to reports cited during the session.

READ ALSO: Senate Rules Bid to Legitimize Return of Presidency Officers Stalled

The committee also voted to summon foreign oil companies (IOCs) because they failed to return the one-percent capacity building fund, which is intended to promote local content development in Nigeria’s oil and gas sector.

Joel Onowakpo-Thomas, the committee’s chairman, and other lawmakers criticized the NCDMB Executive Secretary’s inability to appear before the panel, calling his absence inconvenient and obstructing the committee’s oversight responsibilities.

To keep the committee informed, “We are trying to have an idea of what happened.” We will give him another opportunity to come in and explain to us because this is his first time,” he said.