Labour Unions Reject FG’s Plan To Allegedly Sell Stakes In JVs

An alleged plan by the Federal Government to sell some of its stakes in the Joint Ventures with international oil companies operating in the nation has received opposition from members of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association (PENGASSAN) and the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG).

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited’s 30% management fee and 30% frontier exploration deduction are reassessned in accordance with President Bola Tinubu’s directive last month, according to the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) president.

Tinubu cited the need to streamline deductions from the Federation Account, improve fiscal discipline, and optimize government savings as needed while charging the Economic Management Team.

The two unions asserted at a joint news conference in Abuja on Tuesday that selling those stakes will not only endanger the nation’s oil sector, but also devalue efforts being made to defend the naira on the foreign exchange market.

Festus Osifo, president of PENGASSAN, and Williams Akporeha, his NUPENG counterpart, objected to a proposal to reduce government stakes in JV assets by up to 30%.

Through the NNPCL, FG currently controls between 55 and 60% of these assets.

Selling stakes in the assets, in their opinion, would hurt Nigeria’s long-term economic security,  bankrupt NNPCL, impede its ability to meet obligations like salaries and welfare benefits, and reduce its contributions to the national budget.

“The government wants to reduce its ownership of these assets,” the statement read. They may be referring to selling up to 35% in some cases. However, we reject it.

You can’t mortgage someone’s future for a short-term gain.

“On behalf of the Federation, the NNPCL manages JV assets. The entire Nigerian population, not just the Federal Government, owns all oil wells. The national oil company will be too weak to deliver, he claimed, and the federation will lose if these stakes are sold.

The unions also claimed that NNPCL’s joint ownership of the Ministry of Petroleum was being attempted by the ministry of finance.

They argued that the PIA’s proposed changes would strip NNPCL of its core national function, frighten investors, and send a bad signal about Nigeria’s policy consistency.

After years of fighting, the PIA was overturned. Investors are only just getting started. The government wants to amend it once more, right now. That sends a dangerous signal, Akporeha claimed. Every serious oil-producing country, in his opinion, safeguards its national oil company. He continued, “Here, we are stripping ours of its strength,” he continued.

Nigeria will struggle to raise the money to pay its budget if these proposals are successful. We will resist it because it creates a crisis, Osifo said.

Read more about how 14 banks meet new capital requirements (CBN) and the external reserve hits $ 43 billion.

The oil workers also called for a stop to a proposed amendment to the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA), which they had pledged to oppose whenever it was attempted to proceed with the plans.

We completely reject the idea from the Ministry of Petroleum, the Ministry of Finance, NNPCL, or even the Presidency itself. In a few years, NNPCL will go bankrupt. Osifo resolutely said, “We will not allow that to happen.”

Akporeha noted that the PIA, which was only passed three years ago, needed to stabilise before considering new amendments.

Aisha Yesufu Faults Use Of Taxpayers’ Money To Fund Case Against Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Aisha Yesufu, a human rights activist, criticizes the use of taxpayers’ money to pay for what she describes as a personal dispute between Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and Senate President Godswill Akpabio.

Yesufu claimed she had seen no sexual harassment during court hearings on Monday and Tuesday and that she had seen no such thing on Channels Television’s breakfast program, The Morning Brief, on Wednesday.

READ MORE: Atiku Says After Natasha’s Office Is Unsealed, Voice of Reason Prevails Over Tyranny, and

“I just heard that the court was addressing sexual harassment. That is not something I am aware of.

She said, “The question we should all be asking is why taxpayers’ money is being wasted on an issue that involves two senators.

Senators Godswill Akpabio and Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan (L) and Senate President Godswill Akpabio in a photo montage

Yesufu argued that if the Senate President feels personally detested, he should file a private legal case as opposed to dragging the Senate and federal resources into the issue.

If the Senate President has any disagreements with her, he should proceed.

Why are we involving the entire state and institutions in it? she inquired.

Yesufu noted that a judge had declared Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suspension unconstitutional in response to related proceedings.

She said, “The judiciary needs to really sit down and take back its independence so that it can say, “Get back into your office.”

The activist urged Nigerians to hold all 109 senators accountable for spending public money and legislative time, particularly when personal political disputes become state issues.

Senate Suspension

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan’s comments come after her office is closed on Tuesday and she has been reinstated in the National Assembly after serving for a six-month suspension.

Hours after the sergeant-at-arms unlocked the office on Tuesday, the senator accompanied her supporters to her home in Suite 2.05 of the Senate wing.

Senator Natasha is interacting with her.

The Senate in March suspended the senator over alleged standing rules violations.

She admitted to reporters that her suspension was against the law when she first entered her place of employment on Tuesday.

“I’m happy to be here, for me.”

VIDEO: Govs Can’t Be Trusted With State Police, Power To Control AK-47 — Reps Member

Yusuf Gadgi, a member of the House of Representatives, has warned that state police can’t be relied upon to oversee policing in the states.

Gadgi, who is the House Committee on Defense, made a statement on Tuesday’s Politics Today program on Channel 4.

The lawmaker argued that more effective community policing and that enraging governors would only make things worse insecurity.

However, he did point out that community policing with proper funding remained a safer choice than state policing.

The lawmaker called killings connected to transnational assaults “very unfortunate and tormenting”

Gadgi added that Plateau and other regions’ insecurity had worsened as a result of the fact that forest reserves had become “safe havens for bandits and kidnappers.”

He defended President Bola Tinubu’s administration, noting that it had supported security organizations and provided resources.

Lagos Assembly Mourns Ex-Council Chair, Others

Samuel Aina, one of the party leaders from Oshodi/Isolo, passed away, according to the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Stephen Ogundipe, the chairman of the House Committee on Information, Security, and Strategy, made this announcement in the plenary on Tuesday.

Read more about the Lagos Assembly’s call for full enforcement of the tenancy law.

He cited late Aina’s significant accomplishments, including her leadership of the council’s local government from 1999 to 2003.

He claimed that these included the construction of the local government secretariat’s current building.

Ajomale Oladipo, the lawmaker for Oshodi/Isolo Constituency II, claimed in his remark that the former chairman was a leader deserving of admiration and had impeccable character.

The late Aina was a father figure whose legacy is unmatched, according to the Speaker, Mudashiru Obasa.

After that, he instructed Olalekan Onafeko, the house clerk, to send a condolence letter to the deceased’s family.

Katsina To Vaccinate 4.8 Million Children Against Rubella

In Katsina State, according to the upcoming Integrated Polio Vaccination Campaign, at least 4.8 million children between the ages of 9 months and 14 years are expected to be immunized against Rubella.

The contagious viral infection campaign is scheduled for October 6 through October 13th, 2025.

3. 698, 500 doses of Novel Oral Polio Vaccines (nOPV2), which are intended for 2.3 million children who are under five years old, will also be provided for the state.

Read more about Measles Outbreak: Two Lives Are Lost In Zaria, and 20 Other People Are Affected.

Rahama Farah, the head of the UNICEF’s Kano office, made this known during a media discussion about the state’s capital’s integrated October Polio Vaccination Campaign in Katsina.

Representatives from the National Emergency Operation Centre, WHO, and the Katsina State Primary Healthcare Agency also attended the UNICEF and the Katsina State Government dialogue.

Routine vaccination

Between October 4 and October 13, 2025, according to Farah, 2, 253 teams will be deployed to administer the vaccine using fixed and temporary post methods.

He described the UNICEF’s plans to support Katsina State in putting together a successful campaign and disclosed that 5, 584 teams would provide routine immunisation services and other antigens from October 6 through October 10, 2025.

According to him, these teams would include 3 761 house-to-house teams, 993 transit/special points teams, and 830 fixed post teams.

According to him, UNICEF has supported the training of 600 Non-Compliance Resolution Teams (NCRTs) and the training of 3, 300 health workers on improving their interpersonal skills.

Therefore, he urged the media to publish reliable information about the polio vaccine, the vaccination procedure, and how to mobilize caregivers, parents, communities, and stakeholders to get children immunized.

He argued that the government provided vaccines for free that were safe and effective, underscoring the necessity for all necessary steps to be taken in Katsina State and indeed Nigeria.

“To resolve non-compliance cases in Katsina, using a two hundred NCRTs, each with a community leader, traditional leader, and a vaccinator, will be deployed in advance and during the intra-campaign phase on a real-time basis.

To support the October MR campaign, Katsina State, with the assistance of UNICEF, has deployed six state facilitators, 21 LGA facilitators, 462 voluntary ward supervisors (VWSs), and 4 647 voluntary community mobilizers (VCMs), according to Farah.

We have gathered to highlight the crucial role that the media plays in our effort to ensure children’s safety.

Beginning on October 6, 2025, through February 13, 2026, the integrated campaign in Nigeria planned to implement a Measles Rubella (MR) campaign that was integrated with Polio in all 36 state legislatures in the nation.

Tinubu Approves Construction Of 600-Capacity Hostels For Law School

‎‎
The Nigerian Law School, Abuja, and the Body of Benchers Secretariat Road have been given approval by President Bola Tinubu for the construction of 600-capacity hostels.

The Nigerian Law School, &nbsp. Abuja, will receive a directive from Tinubu to the Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, to begin construction of two 300-capacity hostels right away.